+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dan Snyder dies of Injuries

I really don't think you can blame the owners for something like that.

These guys are adults after all. Owners are not there to parent.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Filangi
    I really don't think you can blame the owners for something like that.

These guys are adults after all. Owners are not there to parent.
    True, but the owners shell out money for the WIN,WIN if they bring the players down to earth, you won't have the "nothing can hurt me" mentality.I think $$$ plays a huge part in the way athletes act ..... musicians(pop stars,rappres,etc) are no different. I don't think that they would act that way if they didn't make big$$.Just my opinion.Pop culture and sports are 2 monsters that spin way out of control,because they are so influencial to kids.Kids see $$$ thats what they want.I hear it from my daughter all the time."I don't need a job, I'm just going to become a singer or be on a reality show"....uuhhggg.

I think you have a point.

However, in professional sports, NHL players are paid far less than their counterparts in MLB, NBA & NFL. Fortunately, incidents like Heatley/Snyder are few and far between.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Filangi
    I think you have a point.

However, in professional sports, NHL players are paid far less than their counterparts in MLB, NBA & NFL. Fortunately, incidents like Heatley/Snyder are few and far between.
    true,very true....and unfortunate.

eny
    FORT Fogey
    Snyder family: 'We'll be there' for Heatley

By JEFF SCHULTZ
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

ELMIRA, Ontario -- A small town hero loses his life because he was a passenger in a speeding car driven by someone else. In many circumstances, the driver would be the target of blame. But don't look for rage here. Not in this small Canadian hamlet, not in the home of Dan Snyder's parents.

"We're going to do everything we can for this boy," Graham Snyder said of Dany Heatley, the Thrashers' injured star who faces a long physical and emotional recovery, and significant legal obstacles. "This has been a tragedy and we've lost our son. But to lose another person [by putting Heatley in jail] would just be senseless. That shouldn't happen. He's already going to have awful memories of this."

The news that Heatley will accompany Thrashers players to Elmira for Dan Snyder's funeral on Friday was welcomed by members of the Snyder family.

"We really wanted him to be here," Graham Snyder said. "It's important for him to see this and have closure and say his goodbyes. We're here for Dany Heatley and we're praying he can get through this. We want him to feel support from the community. We want to let him know he's forgiven."

The front page of the local newspaper, The Record, carried a story headlined "Elmira Forgives Heatley." This is an old Mennonite town. Forgiveness is commonplace. Whatever anger toward Heatley might be felt elsewhere, residents here express none.

Dave Officer, a teacher, counselor, hockey coach and Snyder family friend, said, "I'm not aware of any resentment. People here see this as a tragedy and an accident. We don't look down on people. . . . I just can't imagine the pain Dany Heatley is going through."

Graham Snyder recalled hearing about Heatley being "shackled to the hospital bed" when he was officially charged, commenting, "That's so not what we're about. It's such a different mentality."

Jake Snyder, Dan's brother, said, "Our thoughts are with Dany's family. We feel maybe a different pain than they do right now. But we feel for both the parents and their son. My brother talked about Dany constantly. Dany was so special to my brother. He'd want us to help him get through a difficult time."

Graham Snyder said he and his wife speak to Heatley's parents "at least twice a day. We've told them, 'We don't lay blame.' Dan wouldn't have been with him that night if they weren't friends and he didn't trust him. We'll be there for him."
    What an incredible family.

I think I'd be asking questions of Ferarri too. I know its not a frickin Volvo , but breaking in half like it did was just bizarre.

Wow, what an amazing family,I don't know if I could be that way.Some people just amaze you every day.God Bless them.

Quote Originally Posted by eny
    What an incredible family.

I think I'd be asking questions of Ferarri too. I know its not a frickin Volvo , but breaking in half like it did was just bizarre.
    And the seatbelts shattered too, that's why they were thrown. I would definitely be inquired.

And, I third the fact the Snyders are a great family.

I've had the pleasure of knowing Dany and the Heatleys personally - my son played hockey with him a few years back, & trains with him occasionally over the summer. Dany has always made the people who know him proud - for his humility, his maturity, and his generosity. We have followed his career enthusiastically - he is a talent to behold. We were shocked and saddened by the events of the last several days.

God bless Dan Snyder and his family - I am awed by their strength and courage. By all accounts, it appears that Dan was a wonderful guy and this is tragic beyond words.

From what I know of the Heatleys, Dany will accept whatever the courts and God have planned for him.

I cannot imagine being in the pain that these families are in. There, but for the grace of God, go I. It makes me just want to hold my sons a little closer.

Thanks for sharing Ireland.

The Snyder family is truly incredible and I'm sure their kindness means a great deal to Heatley right now.

ATLANTA (AP) -- Atlanta Thrashers star Dany Heatley was not drunk when he was driving the car that crashed, killing teammate Dan Snyder, according to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation's crime lab.

Heatley had consumed some alcohol before the Sept. 29 accident but not enough to accurately register on a crime lab test, said Erik Friedly, spokesman for the Fulton County district attorney's office.

"Alcohol was present, but it was below 0.015, which is the crime lab test reporting limit," Friedly said. "That's the lowest point that their test registers, and it was somewhere below that."

In Georgia, the legal limit for drunken driving charges is 0.08.

Test results haven't been completed to determine whether Heatley consumed drugs, Friedly said.

The test results don't alter any of the charges pending against Heatley -- felony vehicular homicide and four misdemeanors. He could potentially face a lesser driving under the influence charge, called "DUI less safe," Friedly said.

"We haven't made any final decision on formal charges," he said.

The district attorney's office will present its case to a grand jury after it completes the investigation, he said.

Heatley, the MVP of last season's 2003 NHL All-Star game, was injured in the crash and is out indefinitely.

------------------------------------

thats good news (it doesn't change the charges as it states but atleast it proves he wasn't drunk, from the sounds of it he probably had 1 beer or something earlier in the night)

and I agree with what you all have said about the Snyder family, really nice what they said
    Last edited by holiday; 10-10-2003 at 09:16 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast