+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rush-ed out the door

Rush-ed out the door

Kinda surprised no one posted this yet. I think if you hire a guy like Limbaugh, you have to expect controversy, and probably not the kind ABC thought they would get.

Shockingly though, his analysis of some of the games, including predicting that Texas could compete with Miami in week one (they went on to win) kind of surprised me. He was widely ridiculed on the set for that prediction.

Limbaugh Leaves ESPN Over McNabb Remarks
    37 minutes ago Add Entertainment - AP to My Yahoo!

By JASON STRAZIUSO, Associated Press Writer

PHILADELPHIA - Conservative commentator Rush Limbaugh said Thursday he resigned as an ESPN sports analyst to protect network employees from the uproar over critical comments he made about Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb (news).

Limbaugh stepped down from the sports network's "Sunday NFL Countdown" late Wednesday, three days after saying on the show that McNabb was overrated because the media wanted to see a black quarterback succeed.

"The great people at ESPN did not want to deal with this kind of reaction," Limbaugh told the National Association of Broadcasters at its convention in Philadelphia on Thursday. "The path of least resistance became for me to resign."

Limbaugh did not directly address media reports that began surfacing Wednesday that said the talk show host was under investigation in Florida into whether he illegally obtained and abused prescription painkillers.

Premiere Radio Networks, which syndicates the politically focused "Rush Limbaugh Show," issued a statement from Limbaugh earlier Thursday saying: "I am unaware of any investigation by any authority involving me. No government representative has contacted me directly or indirectly. If my assistance is required, I will, of course, cooperate fully."

The Daily News, without identifying its source, reported Thursday that Limbaugh was being investigated by the Palm Beach County state attorney's office. The newspaper said it had confirmed the allegations, first reported by the National Enquirer. CNN reported Thursday that sources close to the investigation said Limbaugh had turned up as a buyer of powerful painkillers but that he was not the target of the investigation.

Mike Edmondson, a spokesman for the Palm Beach County state attorney's office, told The Associated Press his office could neither confirm nor deny that an investigation was under way.

The Enquirer had interviewed Wilma Cline, who said she became Limbaugh's drug connection after working as his maid, according to the Daily News. She said that Limbaugh had abused OxyContin and other painkillers.

A Miami lawyer for the Clines, Ed Shohat, said Thursday, "The Clines stand by the story." Shohat said neither he nor his clients would comment further.

Limbaugh is the radio host of the politically focused "Rush Limbaugh Show," syndicated in more than 650 markets. He had surgery two years ago to have an electronic device placed in his skull to restore his hearing.

Talking about his comments about McNabb on ESPN, Limbaugh said Thursday that he had thought about the issue the night before making the comments and wanted to write an essay on it.

"It's something I have believed for quite a while," Limbaugh said. "I don't mean it to hurt anybody ... it's just an opinion."

Limbaugh has denied that his comments were racially motivated.

"I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well," Limbaugh said on Sunday's show. "There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."

McNabb on Wednesday said he didn't mind criticism of his performance but was upset that Limbaugh made his race an issue. He said it was too late for an apology.

About a half-dozen people protested outside the convention as Limbaugh was speaking Thursday.

Limbaugh told the broadcasters that he was used to scrutiny after 15 years in radio and expects to get attention.

To draw in listeners, "we want controversy," he told the broadcasters meeting. "Nobody tells me what I can and can't say" on the radio, he said.

George Bodenheimer, president of ESPN and ABC Sports, accepted Limbaugh's resignation Wednesday. ABC and ESPN are owned by Walt Disney Co.

"We regret the circumstances surrounding this," Bodenheimer said. "We believe that he took the appropriate action to resolve this matter expeditiously."
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

C'mon Without Cmon Within QuinntheEskimo's Avatar
    This is utter crap... They hired him to make these types of comments!! It's not like he was an ex football player or coach who was assigned to sit around a dissect X and O's... I doubt Rush ever played football and would otherwise have little to offer to the game anyway?
    They hired one of the most out spoken conservatives in the country to provide (umm) Color commentary and gasp when he says something they expected him to say from the start.
    I dont care for Rush, but this is poor business!

I think it is pretty silly. Surely they knew he would say something controversial, it is why they wanted him.

I especially laughed at this: "About a half-dozen people protested outside the convention as Limbaugh was speaking Thursday."

A half a dozen. Yup, there was outrage, time to boot him... oh, excuse me, let him resign
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    I didn't post it because I think the story is ridiculous and the media must be bored of covering the war and Arnold, so they're happy there's something else for them to talk about.

It's his opinion that the guy is overrated. Frankly, I think he (and a hell of a lot of other professional athletes) are overrated.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

I think it was a chance for some parts of the media to get their licks in on him.

But on to overrated, I can see your point Bravo. I hate to relate live to beer commercials, but that latest Bud commerical with the guy who says he can't carry the team by himself cracks me up.

"I guess there is no I in team"
    "Well, there ain't no WE either"

"You know, it's a team game so I have to point the finger at my teammates."

I've thought McNabb was overrated, too. I don't necessarily believe the NFL has an agenda to prop him up, though. He's the best the Eagles had. If he and, say, Peyton Manning, were on the same team, he'd be riding the pine or, more likely, converted to another position because of his fabulous athleticism. NFL coaches and teams will play the best players they have at each position because the bottom line is winning. They don't have time to make statements of any kind in a 16-game season. Just my opinion.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

JR.
    I'm glad he's out of there, he ruined Sunday Countdown, I can't stand him. I think it has more to do with the drug charge than the comments.

Nerds Just Wanna Have Fun Boredom's Avatar
    Honestly, even though I'm more conservative, I'm happy that Limbaugh is out. I never really liked him. The looks on the people's faces as soon as he made his remark, though... that was pretty good. If he didn't realize he screwed something up then, he certainly realized it afterwards.

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    or, maybe he had to resign because it was true and he figured it out and embarrased the media?

just a thought.

Nerds Just Wanna Have Fun Boredom's Avatar
    I'm not saying that Donovan McNabb isn't overrated. Just saying that, if he was going to tie a racial issue and the media into football and Donovan McNabb, he needed a little bit more tact than he had.

Just a thought.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast