+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk about NCAA football

*cough* being from Michigan, when I do root for college teams, it has to be U of M. Go maize & blue!

And, John, my in-laws went to Michigan so I kind of root for them, too, unless they're playing my school or my parents' (Penn State).
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Birks31
    Originally posted by John
    *cough* being from Michigan, when I do root for college teams, it has to be U of M. Go maize & blue!
    I never say this around my Notre Dame friends, but I love the Michigan fight song "Hail to the Victors".

I used to travel to Columbus, Ohio pretty regularly for business, and any time someone would ask me where I was from, I was almost afraid to answer. Those guys HATE Michigan. So one time, I bought a U of M hat, and wore it around the whole time I was there. Boy, did I get some dirty looks.

And I don't even follow college ball, I just like to get the digs in when I can.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Originally posted by Birk - The rest of those schools are just the minor league farm teams of the NFL
    That is actually not an accurate statement. Please see below taken from various sources.

Nebraska's 55 percent graduation rate for black football players was best in the league last year
    Utah State University's football program was one of 25 in the nation recognized for its graduation rate by the American Football Coaches Association it was announced recently. The survey has been conducted by the AFCA each year since 1998.
    Utah State graduated 79 percent of its players in that time.

24 teams made honorable mention by graduation at least 70% of their players.

Schools on the honorable mention list include Ball State, Boston College, Central Michigan, Duke, East Carolina, Florida, Hawai'i, Indiana, Kansas State, Miami-Fla., Mississippi State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Penn State, Rice, Southern Methodist, Syracuse, Texas Tech, Utah State, Vanderbilt, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Western Michigan and Wisconsin.
    I have taken the liberty of bolding the schools that would have been stereotyped as NFL farm shops as opposed to institutions of higher learning.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Birks31

Duly noted

I was speaking of just a handful of programs who I harbor a particular animus. They would Be:

Miami
    Florida State
    Michigan Michigan State (Ganja U.)
    Tennesee (8% grad rate among 2001 seniors and 0% among black players.)

I know I sound like the typical arrogant Notre Dame fan, but the schools who use young men to create revenue but do nothing to help them create future revenue for themselves and their families Must....., MUST be called to account.

Student athletes can win national championships.

Last time I'll post on this subject because I hate beating a dead horse

And believe me -- I hate Miami just as much as the next person (maybe more-- I really dislike all Florida college teams).
    But Miami did make the honorable mention list.

I agree that some Universities could do a better job of balancing athletics and academics, but I think it's dangerous to stereotype and make judgements.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)

And CSU beat CU who has turned out to be a really good team!

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Great point, BF. And USC also beat CU, so they should be ND!

Birks31

Colorado this year

How are the Buffs this year. Are they capable of knocking off Oklahoma? I hope so.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast