Hewitt
    Roddick
    Agassi
    Ayanoui
    Coria
    Nalbandian
    Schalken
    Ferrero
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    Last four:

Agassi
    Ferrero
    Roddick
    Nalbandian

And all belgian affair!!
    Kim Clijsters vs Justin Henin-Hardienne
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

Hewitt's interview

Q. Maybe not too many guys would have beaten him today, the way he was playing?

LLEYTON HEWITT: No, he was great. You've really got to take your hat off to him.

You know, I felt like I went up another notch from yesterday. I felt like I hit the ball a lot better, especially my backhand. Backhand cross court didn't quite -- you know, backhand down the line, I probably didn't hit that great today.

But, yeah, he played well. He mixed up his serve extremely well. You know, he's getting tougher and tougher on these kind of courts.

[...]

Q. Did you know after that when you couldn't get anything on your serve, did you know it was gonna be...

LLEYTON HEWITT: Oh, I knew I was gonna be struggling. I was trying to battle, but also trying to play a different style of game to what I'm used to as well. You know, trying to go for a lot of winners, I guess, which off the wrong balls, where normally I'd try and work the point a little bit more.

Yeah, I take nothing away from him, though. He was too good.

[...]

Q. You had a great match with Juan Carlos in Shanghai, a close match. What's changed in his game in the last eight months?

LLEYTON HEWITT: Well, I felt like he played a pretty bloody good game in Shanghai, as well. Obviously, in the end, I was a bit lucky to get over the line being down a break twice in the fifth set.

I felt like I played an incredible match in Shanghai to win that. Probably not a lot's changed. The standard we were playing there for three sets today was pretty good. It was definitely up with the standard of Shanghai. In Shanghai I felt like I played great two sets and then, you know, got a little bit tired, I think, in the third and fourth, and somehow was able to find something late in the fifth.

Q. Did he do anything different?

LLEYTON HEWITT: Not a whole heap different. I felt like he was playing pretty well at the end of last year?

Q. Did you have a feeling today or did you think if you could squeak that third set - somehow - that you still had a chance?

LLEYTON HEWITT: Yeah, I knew it was gonna be an uphill battle, the way that I was feeling. Especially playing a guy like that, who's so fit. Very rarely do you see him lose a match due to fitness. So even if I was two - sets -- one up, there was no guarantee I was gonna be able to win one of the next two sets.

You know, I was still somehow trying to get out of that set. At 5-4 there, came up with two aces on the two wide far lines. You got to just say "too good" to that.

In the breaker, I fought back. He played a pretty incredible breaker. He hardly missed a first serve. Smacked a couple huge forehands on to win. Even his backhand up the line at 6-5 was a gutsy shot to go for

Good Luck for the Semis!

Men's Singles Finals : Andy Roddick vs Juan-Carlos Ferrero

Ferrero won! 6-4, 6-3, 3-6, 6-4, seizing the No. 1 world ranking with the win.

Good Luck for the Finals!

She's my favourite woman player already.
    She was superb against Capriati. She was even gutsier against Clijsters.

Henin-Hardenne Shows Heart, Takes Title
    by Lisa Zimmerman
    Saturday, September 6, 2003

In an amazing show of tenacity and fortitude, No. 2 women's seed Justine Henin-Hardenne hit the court tonight for her women's singles finals match. After what will undoubtedly be considered a historic battle last night against Jennifer Capriati, in which she had to contend with not just her opponent, but leg cramps as well, Henin-Hardenne showed what she is made of, breaking No. 1 Kim Clijsters in the very first game.

What made the feat even more amazing was that at one point in mid-afternoon, it was uncertain whether or not Henin-Hardenne would actually be able to compete in the match because of the lasting effects of last night's cramps.

But, she was there and in it all the way. The crowd was mesmerized as the Belgians stayed with each other, step for step in the first set, with Henin-Hardenne pulling it out at 7-5.

Then in the second set, it was simply all Henin-Hardenne. With Clijsters, shockingly, able to take just one game from her fellow compatriot, Henin captured her first US Open title - and the hearts of tennis fans everywhere - with a final score of 7-5, 6-1.

The other Men finalist:

Andy Roddick came back from two sets down for the second time in his career and saved a match point in the third set tie-break before defeating David Nalbandian in a five-set thriller at the US Open on Super Saturday. Roddick reached his first Grand Slam final with a 6-7(4), 3-6, 7-6(7), 6-1, 6-3 victory in 3 hours, 31 minutes.

Justine was awesome last night. Clijsters was again so nervous... very unfortunate. Hopefully she'll be able to overcome it soon.

The Justine-Jennifer match was one of the best I've ever seen... coming back down 2-5 in the final set? Wow!
    What is written without effort is in general read without pleasure. -Samuel Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Illustrious
    Justine was awesome last night. Clijsters was again so nervous... very unfortunate. Hopefully she'll be able to overcome it soon.

The Justine-Jennifer match was one of the best I've ever seen... coming back down 2-5 in the final set? Wow!
    She was superb. I really, really like her.

Andy Roddick - Winner of Men's Singles Final.

I'm just upset for Ferrero. I was rooting for him. To see him so upset was really hard.
    He really tried.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast