+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tennis

FORT Fogey
    I have never seen a winner as happy as Tanasugarn, but she deserved her sweet victory.

Was glad your boy, Juan Carlos won, unexplained. I am rooting for James Blake to beat Roger Federer (even though I like Federer a lot) but that would be a tremendous feather in Blake's cap. He's not quite the star that Roddick is, but he's getting there.

FORT Fogey

Tennis News For Sunday, August 31st

The Stars will be Out on Sunday

Led by Andre Agassi, CBS' US Open coverage for Sunday includes many of tennis' brightest stars. Coverage gets underway at 11 a.m. ET.

1998 US Open Champion Lindsay Davenport will be first on the court, followed by the conclusion of the Andre Agassi and Yevgeny Kafelnikov match. Due to the rain delay, Agassi and Kafelnikov were unable to finish their third round match on Saturday. If the first set was any indication of what is to come in this battle between the former Grand Slam champions, you do not want to miss the end.

Finishing off the day of CBS coverage on Sunday is the charismatic Andy Roddick. Whether for his lightning speed serve or energetic attitude on the court through the first two rounds of the tournament, Andy is the one everyone is talking about on the men's side. If you haven't had a chance to watch this fast-rising American star, CBS gives you the chance on Sunday.

Davenport. Agassi. Roddick.
    11 a.m. ET on CBS- Don't miss it!

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    Awesome matches back to back.

Juan-Carlos!! May you go all the way!
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

FORT Fogey

(clockwise from top left)
    Lindsay Davenport, Andre Agassi, Kim Clijsters and Andy Roddick

Agassi, Roddick, Davenport and Clijsters March Ahead
    (USOpen.org)
    In a banner Sunday for American stars, top seed Andre Agassi, tournament favorite Andy Roddick and third seed Lindsay Davenport all put on standout performances and appeared ready for second-week charges.

Davenport began play on Arthur Ashe Stadium by overcoming a tough challenge by Russian and No. 19 seed Nadia Petrova 6-0, 6-7 (6), 6-2, becoming the first woman to enter the quarterfinals.

Agassi successfully completed his rain-delayed Saturday match against old foe Yevgeny Kafelnikov with a 6-3, 7-6, 6-4 third round victory.

Then the fourth-seeded Roddick made quick work of Brazilís Flavio Saretta, 6-1, 6-3, 6-3.

Agassi played a clinically-sound match against Kafelnikov, punching him out in tiebreaker and outlasting him in very significant rally. The 1999 US Open champion hasnít won a title since April, but believes heís in prime shape for an assault on his third US Open crown.

"The summer has been a busy time," he said. "You have to balance your life. Things fall into place. You have to know what you're shooting for. This summer it's been important to me to be here in New York, ready to go. I played enough matches this summer to feel good about that. Now it's about turning the corner and playing the best tennis at the right time. If I can find a way to get the job done this week, this is an all-time great year."

Agassi will face 22-year-old American up-and-comer Taylor Dent, who has reached the fourth round of a Slam for the first time. With a booming serve-and-volley attack and desires of making his name at a major tournament, Dent will be an imposing foe for the 33-year-old Agassi, who called his compatriotís style "smash-and-volley tennis."

"I've got to believe at that age, you're getting better all the time," Agassi said. "So I go out there expecting him to be playing a great match. Anything shy of a great match, I'm hoping, doesn't get it done for him."

In winning his 15th straight match, Roddick pounced on the baseliner Saretta, nailing 30 winners, including 10 aces and 11 forehand bombs.

"I was pretty solid all around and maybe he was frustrated that I wasnít not afraid to play long points. I returned pretty well, too," Roddick said.

Roddick is now 36-2 since his run at Queens in late June and hasnít lost a match since. He has only lost one match on hard courts this summer. But he still remembers the pain of defeat and isnít getting cocky.

Other mens' winners included No. 7 Carlos Moya, who took out Chilean Nicolas Massu, 7-5, 6-4, 3-6, 6-3. Australian Open finalist Rainer Schuettler also moved ahead with a , 6-1, 6-4, 6-2 over Spainís Alberto Martin. Marathon-man Younes El Aynaoui also scored another amazing victory, beating 10th seed Jiri Novak 7-6 (1), 5-7, 3-6, 6-3, 7-6 (5), while 2002 US Open semifinalist Sjeng Schalken overcame Ivo Karlovic, 7-6 (8), 7-6 (5), 7-6 (3).

In other women's tennis news, Kim Clijsters, of Belgium, defeated Meghann Shaughnessy, of the United States at the U.S. Open tennis tournament Sunday, Aug. 31, 2003 in New York. Clijsters won 6-2, 6-4.
    Last edited by CaliGirl; 09-01-2003 at 01:04 AM.

FORT Fogey

Federer Express Delivers!

James Blake, left, of the United States, congratulates Roger Federer, of Switzerland, at the U.S. Open tennis tournament Sunday, Aug. 31, 2003 in New York. Federer won 6-3, 7-6(4), 6-3.

It'd be asking too much of Blake to beat Federer. Undeniably, Federer is so much better.
    Great fight Blake!
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

FORT Fogey
    [IMG]images/img/USOPENCapriatiresized.jpg[/IMG]

Jennifer Capriati, of the United States, reacts after beating Elena Dementieva, of Russia, 6-2, 7-5, and Justine Henin-Hardenne, of Belgium, hits a return to Dinara Safina, of Russia, and beat her 6-0, 6-3 at the U.S. Open tennis tournament, Monday Sept. 1, 2003 in New York.
    Last edited by CaliGirl; 09-02-2003 at 12:50 AM.

I can't wait for the men's fourth round matches.

Nalbandian Stuns Federer; Hewitt, Coria Through
    David Nalbandian came back from a set down to defeat Wimbledon champion Roger Federer and reach the US Open quarterfinals for the first time. The Argentine is joined in the last eight by countryman Guillermo Coria, who overcame Sweden's Jonas Bjorkman also in four sets.

Meanwhile, Lleyton Hewitt rallied from a set down to defeat Paradorn Srichaphan in their rain-interrupted match on Thursday and, with persistent drizzle finally relenting, Juan Carlos Ferrero fought off a spirited challenge by Todd Martin to win in five sets.Younes El Aynaoui upset No. 7 seed Carlos Moya, while Sjeng Schalken defeated Rainer Schuettler to set up a clash with Andy Roddick.

He's going to the Quarters!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast