+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dale Earnhardt Jr. a free agent?!!!

just above the horizon, but below the ozone

Dale Earnhardt Jr. a free agent?!!!

this posted in http://jayski.thatsracin.com/ site

Dale Jr. a Free Agent? #8-Dale Earnhardt Jr. says he is a “free agent” and has no
    long-term commitment to drive for Dale Earnhardt Inc. In January, Junior said during a
    news conference he had reached a deal to stay with DEI through 2007. But he never
    signed a contract and said last weekend at Watkins Glen he has only a “driver's
    agreement” that runs from race to race. Junior says he wants to get the contract
    done—but on his terms. “I've paid my dues to get where I am, and I feel I have to
    stand up for myself,” he says. “There's too many security blankets on one side of the
    fence, and there need to be a few on my side. Right now the contract looks out totally
    after Dale Earnhardt Inc. rather than myself.” Junior expressed concerns that if the
    complexion of DEI should change through the sale of the company or the addition of a
    new partner, he wants the option to leave if he doesn't agree with the new ownership.
    Junior says he and crew chief Tony Eury Sr., an uncle, and car chief Tony Eury Jr., a
    cousin, are a package deal. Though Junior hopes to work things out with DEI, there are
    a lot of fans who would love to see him team up with Richard Childress, his late father's
    longtime car owner. DEI better not drag its feet.

I wonder how much of DEI Jr. owns? Can't blame the man for looking out after his own best interests. I'm just willing to bet that he gets a deal worked out with DEI. Do you really think any other owner would guarantee any deal that would keep him and the Eurys together indefinitely? Would he have as much flexability anywhere else? The prospects of him driving for Childress is quite intriguing. Makes you wonder!!!!

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    yeah, who knows what was in the old man's will and how much he left top the kids. though Teresa is in charge, something tells me Jr. is dealing with someone just a bit lower level than her. but remeber his sister is his agent. but you got a point. would Childress take the Eury's and him as a set?

I can see where he would want the choice to walk if the company is sold or another partner comes aboard and starts stirring up things. The package deal is another matter, I don't recall any other driver saying that he is a package deal with a crew chief and car chief. I had thought that this was all done, guess the news that he signed was premature.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

Quote Originally Posted by Ilikai
    I don't recall any other driver saying that he is a package deal with a crew chief and car chief.
    Tony Stewart wants to try that with Greg Zipadelli.

Update From Jayski's

UPDATE: While Dale Earnhardt Jr. still has not signed a contract to drive for Dale Earnhardt Inc. through the 2007 season, his sister and business manager said Tuesday that Earnhardt Jr. has "no issues with his team" and no plans to drive anywhere else. "The whole thing is way overblown," said Kelley Earnhardt, who as business manager for JR Motorsports has been part of the contract talks with DEI. "There is a verbal agreement and 95 percent of the deal is worked out. There are just a few things Dale Jr. and Teresa (Earnhardt, Dale Jr.'s stepmother) need to work out." Earnhardt said early this year that he'd reached an agreement on a new contract, but the Sporting News and the Performance Racing Network reported Monday that Earnhardt Jr. said this weekend at Watkins Glen that too many of the new deal's "security blankets" were on the DEI side of the fence. Earnhardt Jr. was quoted as saying he feels a need to take care of himself in the deal. Kelley Earnhardt said Tuesday that none of the remaining issues have anything to do with his role as driver of the No. 8 Chevrolets and that Earnhardt Jr. has no plans to go to any other team. One issue still being discussed, she said, was an ownership position in DEI for Earnhardt Jr.(ThatsRacin.com)(8-13-2003)
    ______________________________ ______________________________ _
    That's interesting about the ownership position. I wonder how Sr. set up the whole thing. How much of the action Kelly, Kerry, & Jr.have if any? Doesn't sound like he has any ownership at all!

+ Reply to Thread