+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sausage Attack Overshadows Brewers' Win

Leo
    Premium Member

Sausage Attack Overshadows Brewers' Win

Sausage Attack Overshadows Brewers' Win
    Thu Jul 10, 3:49 AM ET

By BEN WALKER, AP Baseball Writer

The Italian sausage was a hit with Randall Simon.

In a bizarre scene during the popular sausage race at Miller Park, the Pittsburgh first baseman took his bat and delivered a two-handed chop that knocked over a woman dressed in costume Wednesday night.

Simon was booked for misdemeanor battery and released after the Milwaukee Brewers (news) beat the Pirates 2-1 in 12 innings. He will meet with the district attorney's office Thursday, and it will be up to prosecutors to determine whether formal charges are filed.

"It was very strange," Pirates outfielder Reggie Sanders (news) said.

The race is a fan favorite at Miller Park. Held between the sixth and seventh innings, people dress up as a bratwurst, hot dog, Polish sausage and Italian sausage and run around the field.

As the group went past Pirates' third-base dugout, Simon reached over a railing and hit the Italian sausage character from behind, causing the 20-year-old woman wearing the outfit to tumble. When she fell, the woman portraying the hot dog also went down.

"They both were treated at the scene for scraped knees, but at this point I don't think they have any other complaints," said Deputy Inspector Sherry Warichak of the Milwaukee County Sheriff's Department.

Pirates outfielder Reggie Sanders said he thought the weight of the head on the sausage costume contributed to the fall.

"It maybe made it look worse than it was," Sanders said. "It was an unfortunate situation and, hopefully, it gets resolved."

The Brewers wound up winning on Wes Helms (news)' infield hit with two outs in the 12th.

Brooks Kieschnick, a slugger who always had trouble making contact, earned his first victory since reviving his career as a reliever.

Kieschnick (1-1) singled as a pinch-hitter in the 11th, then pitched a hitless 12th for the victory.

"I can't even describe it. I'm so excited," Kieschnick said. "This was a good, all-around win for us."

In other NL games, Arizona beat San Diego 8-3, Colorado stopped San Francisco 11-7, Philadelphia blanked Montreal 2-0, Chicago defeated Florida 5-1, Houston routed Cincinnati 12-2, Los Angeles edged St. Louis 6-5, and Atlanta topped New York 6- 3.

Simon was booed by many fans when he came up as a pinch-hitter in the seventh inning. He grounded out.

Later, the two women inside the costumes and Simon were interviewed at the stadium.

Rick Schlessinger, the Brewers' executive vice president for business operations, said he was in contact with Larry Silverman, vice president/baseball legal counsel for the Pirates.

Schlessinger called Simon's action "one of the most despicable things I've seen in a ballpark in a long time."

Ryan Borghoff, portraying the bratwurst, said Simon "just hit the costume and she fell over."

"These things are so top-heavy that it doesn't take much," he said.

With the Italian sausage and hot dog down and out, Borghoff went on to win the race.

"Somebody had to, I guess," he said.

The Brewers won the game after Richie Sexson (news) drew a two-out walk in the 12th and took third on John Vander Wal (news)'s single.

Helms, who like Vander Wal was 0-was-5 until the last inning, followed with a slow grounder. Third baseman Aramis Ramirez (news) charged the ball but failed to come up with it cleanly.

"I didn't like it because it was probably a pitch I should not have swung at 2-1," Helms said. "I can't complain about a game-winning single."

Joe Beimel (1-2) took the loss.

Leo
    Premium Member
    Bench-clearing bawls, I expect. Pitchers beaning hitters, I can understand. But attacking someone in a sausage suit?

I saw the footage on the Today Show, and I just sat there laughing. What the heck was Simon thinking? I'm glad no one was seriously hurt.
    Who shot who in the what now?

Oh come on. Who amongst us hasn't wanted to take a bat to a giant sausage at least once? Stop living in denial, people.

In all seriousness, I think dear ol' Dr. Freud would have a field day with this one.

I just wanted to add that ever since I read this, I've had a scene from The Simpsons running through my head. Remember the one where they all went on vacation to Itchy and Scratchy land?

Homer: "I was a political prisoner!"
    Marge: "How were you a political prisoner?"
    Homer: "I kicked a giant mouse in the butt! Do I have to draw you a picture?!?"

Leo
    Premium Member

Followup: Simon suspended, fined $2,000

Simon suspended for sausage swing

HOUSTON (AP) -- The Italian sausage was more forgiving than major league baseball.

Pittsburgh's Randall Simon was suspended for three games and fined $2,000 Friday for hitting one of the Milwaukee Brewers' sausage mascots with his bat Wednesday night.

``It was just a few scratches,'' said the felled sausage, 19-year-old Mandy Block. ``I'm fine. I think the whole thing is funny.''

Simon, who will not appeal the suspension or fine, did not play Thursday against Milwaukee, so that game will count as one of the three games, a club spokesman said.

Simon wasn't available for comment before or after the Pirates' 4-2 loss to Houston on Friday night.

His teammates weren't surprised by the penalty.

``We figured something was going to happen when Bud Selig talks about it on 'SportsCenter,''' shortstop Jack Wilson said. ``Three games is not unreasonable. We just want him to serve it and get back as soon as possible.

``It's not like he meant to assault the mascot. But major league baseball players are role models and major league baseball had to do something about it.''

Wilson had no problem with the length of the suspension.

``It's not like it's happened before,'' he said. ``There's no bar to measure it by as reasonable or unreasonable.''

Manager Lloyd McClendon wasn't so understanding.

``I'm certainly not happy with the suspension,'' McClendon said. ``We are playing a first-place club. We've gotten ourselves back into the race. I would like to have my first baseman in there against this team.

``It's very difficult to swallow. I guess baseball thinks they need to make a statement to show they care and this is their way of doing it.''

The trouble began Wednesday night during the Brewers' popular costume race at Miller Park. That's when Simon hit Block, who was dressed in an Italian sausage costume. Block fell down and knocked over 21-year-old Veronica Piech, who was dressed as a hot dog.

Both women were treated for scraped knees.

They were among four Brewers employees dressed as an oversized bratwurst, a hot dog, and Italian and Polish sausages racing past the Pirates' dugout between the sixth and seventh innings.

After the game, Simon was arrested and booked for misdemeanor battery, and told to show up at the district attorney's office the next day. Though he wasn't charged with a crime, Simon was cited by the sheriff's department for disorderly conduct and fined $432.

The women simply asked for an apology and an autographed bat. Simon complied, giving the Brewers two bats, which were given to the women Friday.

As for the apology -- Simon was still working on it. On Thursday, he said that he had not talked to either woman, but had left messages of apology for both.

``His agent called and left a message,'' Block said Friday. ``He hasn't called yet. I understand that. He's traveling. He has games. I'm sure I'll talk to him.''

*sigh*
    Who shot who in the what now?

Fade to black
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

+ Reply to Thread