Leo
    Premium Member

Kobe Bryant accused of sexual assault

Lakers' Bryant Faces Accusation
    Colo. Authorities Could Charge Star With Felony Sexual Assault

By Greg Sandoval

Washington Post Staff Writer
    Monday, July 7, 2003; Page D01

Los Angeles Lakers all-star guard Kobe Bryant could face felony sexual assault charges after a woman accused him of sexual misconduct during an encounter at a hotel in Edwards, Colo., last Monday, police said.

The woman, whose identity has not been disclosed, filed a complaint with Eagle County authorities on Tuesday. Bryant, 24, turned himself in to the Eagle County Sheriff's Detention Facility and posted a $25,000 bond Friday, the sheriff's office said in a statement.

After a series of interviews and a review of the physical evidence, investigators met with representatives for District Attorney Mark Hurlbert and concluded they had enough evidence for the felony sexual assault count, the sheriff's office said in a statement.

Hurlbert told the Associated Press last night he hadn't made a decision on whether to file charges and had not yet seen the arrest report.

He said the sheriff's office asked a judge for an arrest warrant instead of requesting one through his office, the usual practice.

Bryant stayed last week at the Lodge & Spa at Cordillera in Edwards, approximately 100 miles west of Denver, a hotel manager confirmed.

"During the investigation, Bryant was cooperative with investigators and remains cooperative with authorities," the sheriff's office said.

Judge Russell Granger ordered the case sealed.

The Lakers also issued a statement from General Manager Mitch Kupchak.

"These allegations are completely out of character of the Kobe Bryant we know," the statement read. "For the seven years he's been with us he has been one of the finest young men we've known and a wonderful asset to our team and community.

"However, since this is a legal matter being handled by the authorities in Colorado, we must refrain from further comment at this time."

Calls to Bryant's Denver-based lawyers and Los Angeles agent were not returned last night.

Bryant, 6 feet 6 and 220 pounds, married Vanessa Laine in April 2001. She gave birth to their first child in January.

Last season, Bryant was second in the league in scoring, averaging 30 points per game.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Leo
    Premium Member
    And the NBA's rogue's gallery adds a new member. :nono

Wow this is pretty shocking news since the guy has been squeaky clean thus far...

Young wife and new baby too... shame...
    ~M o s a i K~

I'm also really surprised and very disappointed.

I hope it's not true, but it doesn't look good.

I was really surprised by this also, and though maybe the woman was doing this for money. I hope not.

If this is true, then justice needs to be served, although for Kobe's sake I hope it isn't true.
    Who shot who in the what now?

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    I'm with greenflute on this one; I hope it isn't true and is simply a case of a golddigger looking to make a quick buck.

But whether Kobe is found guilty of sexual misconduct or not from a legal standpoint, it appears that he's guilty of it from a marital standpoint anyway. And thus joins former Laker greats like Magic and James Worthy.

We don't have a many details of the incident so far, so I'm going with "innocent until proven guilty".
    "That's Numberwang!"

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fluff
    We don't have a many details of the incident so far, so I'm going with "innocent until proven guilty".
    I agree with you Fluff. I think the fact that Kobe is cooperating fully is a big plus. And I'm probably jumping the gun in claiming marital infidelity. I just can't imagine that a woman would go to the police if she didn't at least have dna evidence that she'd been with him - even consentually. Perhaps I'm giving her too much credit. .

Quote Originally Posted by Wayner
    But whether Kobe is found guilty of sexual misconduct or not from a legal standpoint, it appears that he's guilty of it from a marital standpoint anyway. And thus joins former Laker greats like Magic and James Worthy.
    And every other pro athelete. The difference is those guys were caught. It doesnt matter what sport it is, the boys don't keep it in their pants on the road.

+ Reply to Thread