+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vancouver wins bid for 2010 Olympics

Vancouver wins bid for 2010 Olympics

Yay!
    Vancouver to host 2010 Olympics

TSN.ca Staff w/files from CP

7/2/2003

Vancouver staged a stunning rally to capture the 2010 Winter Olympics.

Vancouver, which was considered the favourite by many, trailed Pyeongchang, South Korea after the first vote of the International Olympic Committee members in Prague, Czech Republic. The South Koreans had 51 votes compared to 40 for Vancouver.

Salzburg, Austria, which was considered Vancouver's chief competition, only garnered 16 votes and was eliminated after the first ballot.

"We are very disappointed," former ski Austrian champion Franz Klammer told CBC, noting Pyeongchang doesn't even have a downhill ski course.

The results of the second ballot saw Vancouver pick up 16 votes while South Korea increased its total by just two. The final results gave Vancouver 56 votes and Pyeongchang 53.

Vancouver becomes the second Canadian city to host the Winter Games, joining Calgary in 1988.

It is only the third time Canada will play host to the Olympics. Montreal hosted this country's first and only Summer Games in 1976.

During its 45 minute final presentation, the Vancouver delegation said it would be "good partner" for the IOC.

"If you chose to trust us with your Winter Games we will nurture them and return them to you strong and healthy and ready for the next host city," said Jack Poole, chairman of the Vancouver 2010 Bid Corp.

Every member of the Vancouver delegation carried a $1 coin in their pocket for luck. Just as it did for the Canadian hockey team in Salt Lake City, the lucky Loonie did its job.

Wednesday's decision means Toronto, which failed in bids for the 1996 and 2008 Summer Games, will not make a run for the 2012 Summer Games. A marquee field featuring New York, Paris, London, Madrid and Moscow, among others, is already in the race for the 2012 Summer Games.

The next Summer Games are in Athens (2004), followed by the Winter Games in Turin, Italy (2006), with Beijing, China hosting the 2008 Summer Olympics.

The Canadian bid - which cost $35 million Cdn - pointed to a sophisticated urban centre on the shores of the Pacific Ocean with a world-class alpine resort just 125 kilometres north.

Under the Vancouver plan, hockey, curling, speed skating, freestyle skiing, plus the opening and closing ceremonies would be held in and around the city.

Alpine events, cross-country skiing, ski jumping, bobsled and luge will be staged in Whistler.

The final push in Prague, which included 45 official delegates and a multimedia presentation featuring hockey legend Wayne Gretzky, Olympic gold medallist speed skater Catriona Le May Doan, Prime Minister Jean Chretien and B.C. Premier Gordon Campbell, cost $875,000.

Bid organizers say a Vancouver Olympics will operate on a budget of $2 billion, with the provincial and federal governments evenly splitting $620 million in costs to build venues and another $200 million for security.

This doesn't include the $600 million the province h

as promised to upgrade the serpentine Sea-to-Sky Highway linking Vancouver with Whistler.

The Games are forecast to break even, with the B.C. government on the hook for any cost overruns. Any surplus would be used for Olympic legacy programs.

Those in favour of the Games say they will create up to 228,000 jobs and generate up to $10 billion in economic activity.

Critics argue the money would be better spent on health care and education and the Olympics will end up costing B.C. taxpayers around $1.2 billion.
    Whee! Except the tax thing.

To be honest, I was kind of glad Toronto's bid fell through. It just seems more natual to host the Winter games than the Summer.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

Excellent!
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Ya beat me to it, Ducky...I was just coming to post about this!

It'll be interesting to see what Vancouver getting the 2010 games does to NYC's chances for the 2012 Summer Games...

Yeah....excellent!! I totally want to go....when do tickets go on sale???
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

Canada *I wish Quebec but Ontario for now*
    YAH VANCOUVER!!! I'm SOOOOOOOO excited about this!!! I've never been around for a Canadian Olympic year...i think? lol and wow watching the coverage on tv about it was SOOO nervracking! but INCREDIBLE when we won!!!!!!! I'm so glad we won! And also, Synchronized Skating might be introduced to the olympics THAT YEAR! What a great Olympics this will be! If I dont make Team Canada, I am SOOO flying to Vancouver from my home in Ontario and watching the events!! I can't wait for this!

I'm so excited! I'd forgotten (again) that today was the day. What a wonderful surprise to wake up to!!

I have to start saving for tickets now. My kids will be 12 and 13 then, and I know they'll want to see at least a couple of events.

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Congratulations Vancouver!

Good luck Synchro, but don't set your heights too high. 2010 is a long way away.

I competed for a long time and it was my dream to get to the Olympics. I went to the Nationals, but I fell short of the top 10.

It's 7 years away still. A lot can happen.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

I saw Duthie on the BCTV news with Lloyd Robertson - he was in Prauge with the althetes. It was just so bizzare to see Duthie on an actual newscast, not talking about the monkey, or Sir Gay. (basically the same thing)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast