+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Wimbledon

Re: Wimbledon

Whoever ends up winning the match, I'll feel bad for the guy who loses. It almost seems unfair to have one of them lose after such a long match where they've both fought so hard!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Nice video of interview with John Isner from this morning on Today Show. msnbc.com Video Player

And kudos to Andy Roddick! he went out to one of the best Italian restaurants in London last night and picked up food for all of Isner's family and coaches.
    Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment. --Dorothy Parker

Isner-Mahut starts again in about 15 minutes. On the East Coast, it's on ESPN-U or streaming online on ESPN.com (thanks for that info Florimel ). At 12:30 PM ESPN2 is supposed to pick it up again but that may be an approximate time after the soccer. And Wimbledon.org does the live score updates. Both Patrick McEnroe and Brad Gilbert are predicting that it will end quickly today. I think there's no loser in this match, too, people will talk about this forever.

I heard that about Andy Roddick, too, Britlit, and also that he sent his masseuse over to give Isner a massage.

I hope Broadway and anyone else at work will get to at least watch the scores. I can't believe you felt the earthquake Bdwy!
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

70-68 John Isner in the 5th! The entire match was 11 hours and 5 minutes long over 3 days.

I can't believe I thought 36-all was out of control. I was so naive! And now I think the US Open should drop the 5th set tiebreaker.

Wimbledon is giving both players and the chair umpire a special memento gift. And Tim Henman is there. They also both posed by the scoreboard which was working today.

ETA: Both are winners, for sure, Kiz. I really felt for Nicolas - he looked so deflated. Hopefully soon he'll be looking back with pride at this. So great for tennis.
    Last edited by chrisg; 06-24-2010 at 01:05 PM.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Kiz

The two young men are such gentemen...Both WINNERS in my opinion. They're wonderful role models for tennis.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

Darn, I missed it! I was watching soccer. Why did it have to end so soon?

I feel so bad for Mahut, but I really think that they're both going to benefit from this match in the long run.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

11 hours and 5 minutes

I'm so happy for Isner, but really sad for Mahut. That's got to hurt. He really does look so dejected.

I'm watching the little ceremony at the end of the match right now. That poor official's hand are shaking like crazy!

Does anyone know what the gift was that they were given?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I'm guessing engraved silver bowls were the mementos. And one of the chair umpire's presents was clearly a necktie! I thought, by the way, that he was very fair and on top of things, and I loved his good humor throughout.

I think both guys were amazing in their determination. And you know Mahut is going to be hailed as a hero in France--at least I hope he is! I'd also think Isner will pick up a couple of lucrative endorsement deals.

Memo to ESPN from me: Please fire Pam Shriver, Hannah Storm and Brad Gilbert ASAP. Shriver kept "bothering" Isner's coach and trainer and talking during the match; all Gilbert wanted to talk about was his own (less than glorious) history; and Hannah Storm just blathers on in that extremely annoying nasal voice of hers. Oh, and while I'm nitpicking your coverage of a glorious tennis match, Was it really necessary for you during the past two days to run a continuous "crawl" across the bottom of the screen detailing Lawrence Taylor's indictment for rape?
    Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment. --Dorothy Parker

Unbelievable. Amazing. Historic. Although I'm sure Mahut doesn't feel this way right now, I don't believe there was a loser in this match. Both men are now a part of tennis history that will always be remembered. Both men displayed the highest degree of class, desire to play and to win, and respect for their sport and for each other. I also think it's fitting that a match such as this was played at Wimbledon.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

You know, I'm sure that, years from now, people will remember that match and they won't be able to remember who won the tournament! This will definitely be a match people will be talking about for a long time, just like the Krickstein-Connors match at the UP Open all those years ago.

I really did feel sad for Mahut. Isner even said it didn't seem fair that one of them had to lose.

I thought that was a classy move on Roddick's part, especially since Isner upset him at the US Open last year.

+ Reply to Thread