+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Wimbledon

Re: Wimbledon

Great match today though I was hoping Andy would have won. He fought hard however...

Fantastic match, now that's what a Wiimbledon final should be...great play by both players. I was pulling for Andy, but I always do pull for the underdog, I hope he continues to play that well, I liked the determination in his demeanor. And to Roger, wow, fantastic level of play, definitely worthy of his place in tennis history.
    Adversity reveals genius. -Horace

My heart broke for Andy today. He just tightened up on a few points in the 2nd set tiebreaker and that last game of the match which was just enough for Fed to win. Andy has worked so hard to become more competitive and it was painful to see him come so close just to still lose. The match reminded me of a lot of Pete and Andre's matches where Andre just came up the slightest bit short but it often seemed almost inevitable.

I appreciate Fed's ability but, for me, both he and Sampras have always been a little bland to watch on court and a little too pleased w/ themselves off court. I guess it's hard to be humble when you win that much but my fave Rafa seems so humble and it's one of the reasons I him. Also love James Blake. He grew up in the town next to me in CT and seems like a such a great guy as well. Blake did very well playing doubles w/ his bud Mardy Fish -- they made it to the semis -- so I wonder if they'll play more doubles together now?

I like the Williams sisters but it's painful to watch when they play each other. I skipped most of their final b/c of that. Very happy to see either of them win, though. US Open is up next! Hope Rafa will be fully recovered by then. I'm having Nadwithdrawal.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

To the Point

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg;3544920;
    My heart broke for Andy today. He just tightened up on a few points in the 2nd set tiebreaker and that last game of the match which was just enough for Fed to win. Andy has worked so hard to become more competitive and it was painful to see him come so close just to still lose. The match reminded me of a lot of Pete and Andre's matches where Andre just came up the slightest bit short but it often seemed almost inevitable.

I appreciate Fed's ability but, for me, both he and Sampras have always been a little bland to watch on court and a little too pleased w/ themselves off court. I guess it's hard to be humble when you win that much but my fave Rafa seems so humble and it's one of the reasons I him. Also love James Blake. He grew up in the town next to me in CT and seems like a such a great guy as well. Blake did very well playing doubles w/ his bud Mardy Fish -- they made it to the semis -- so I wonder if they'll play more doubles together now?

I like the Williams sisters but it's painful to watch when they play each other. I skipped most of their final b/c of that. Very happy to see either of them win, though. US Open is up next! Hope Rafa will be fully recovered by then. I'm having Nadwithdrawal.

I so agree with what you've said. I especially agree about Pete and Roger both being a bit full of themselves/arrogant. I've never been a fan of either guy. While I have to admire their ability to play the game, I've never cared to watch or applaud either of them.

I wanted to shed a tear for Andy. This guy has worked so hard and he is incredibly talented. I hope that he doesn't let this derail him.

There's this totally insane match going on right now between John Isner and Nicolas Mahut. It's 36 all in the 5th. Luckily, this match started yesterday but this is still crazy. This has to be the longest match ever, game-wise in the 5th and total time played. I wonder if Wimbledon will ever switch to the tiebreaker in the 5th.

Venus actually has a much cuter dress for Wimbledon. It's still flirty but not over the top like her French outfit. If I can find a photo, I'll post it.

James Blake lost in the first round, yesterday.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

This match between Izner and Mahut is unreal. The fifth set is at 40/40 right now, and they've been playing more than 7 hours. I don't know how they are both still standing, never mind playing, and the winner is supposed to play tomorrow.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

49-48, on serve! Glad you're watching too, Florimel. The scoreboard doesn't go higher than 47-all and it's frozen there. This was an excellent day to work from home. Should we take bets on the final score?

I don't know, chrisg, but there's no doubt now that they will get to at least 100 games in this set. ESPN has stopped airing it to cover the soccer games, but I'm keeping up with it online. Whatever happens, there's no loser in this match for me.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel;3947640;
    I don't know, chrisg, but there's no doubt now that they will get to at least 100 games in this set. ESPN has stopped airing it to cover the soccer games, but I'm keeping up with it online. Whatever happens, there's no loser in this match for me.
    Do you get ESPN-U? They're showing it there now. I didn't even know I got it until I searched through all the channels for it. It's like Channel 144 for me so look way up there and see if you get it. Or I think Wimbledon.org might have a live stream. The US Open site does, I know.

No, I don't get ESPN-U, but after some searching, I did find a live stream at espn.go.com on ESPN3. I've given up trying to predict when it will end.

+ Reply to Thread