+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Wimbledon

FORT Fogey

Re: Wimbledon

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;3110546;
    Well, happily enough, Federer IS still the best in the game and is retaining his #1 ranking.
    I chose the word "best" instead of "#1" for a reason. I'm certainly not the only one right now who doesn't view the rankings as the determination of the best. McEnroe was arguing the same point after the match yesterday. The rankings reflect a full year of performance. "Best" is obviously a subjective term, and therefore, the measure is subjective. Up until this year, it's been pretty much assumed that Nadal was the best on clay, Federer was the best on grass, and also had the edge on the hard courts. Nadal still maitains his superiority on clay (Federer can't touch him there) and has proven - in the past two Wimbledon finals really - to be rather equal to Federer on grass. Nadal does have a real chance of surpassing Federer for #1 later in the season, and from a subjective point of view, when he so dominates one surface, and is so equal in ability on one of two others, I'm not sure how he can be viewed as anything but the best, mathematical equations aside.

For comparison's sake, look at the women's side. Serena Williams moves up in the rankings by losing in the Wimbledon final. Venus, by virtue of winning two years in a row and therefore merely defending points instead of earning new ones, maintains the same ranking.
    Last edited by Veruka; 07-07-2008 at 08:45 AM.

I did, too. Though I was personally pulling for Federer, there's no denying that it was an absolutely incredible match!

I am so happy to see both the William's sisters in the Wimbledon final...again. These two are definitely the players of their generation and encompass what the word champion truely means. Wtg ladies!
    Adversity reveals genius. -Horace

I won't be watching the women's final as I can't stand the Williams sisters. I don't enjoy watching them play at all.

I'm so excited for Federer and I've got my fingers crossed that he'll take the championship and the record for most Grand Slams! He really is, in my opinion, the best player in the history of the game. Plus, he's a class act and (sorry) not a boring one like Sampras. I like all four left in the men's draw, but I'd really like to see Roger win his sixth Wimbledon!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Heh, I'm the opposite. The only Tennis matches that I like to watch are the ones with Venus and Serena Williams in it!(preferably playing eachother in the Final.)

I find the men's tennis matches to be boring, I don't know why, but I do.

Roger Federer just became the first man since 1922 to reach SEVEN consecutive Wimbledon finals! Woot! I wish I didn't have to go to work right now so I could watch the match!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Ionan;3540453;
    Heh, I'm the opposite. The only Tennis matches that I like to watch are the ones with Venus and Serena Williams in it!(preferably playing eachother in the Final.)

I find the men's tennis matches to be boring, I don't know why, but I do.
    I don't mind men's tennis, when Rafa or James Blake play.
    Federer I find to be so dull.
    He's a great tennis player, but his personality on the court seems non-existent and I don't enjoy watching him.
    I know not everyone can be Jimmy Connors, but Federer is coma-inducing to me.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Even though Roger won, it was a great effort by David Haas today. However, it's almost humourous how easily irritated he gets with himself.

The Andy vs Andy match was amazing to watch. I am very happy that Andy Roddick came out victorious. I hope he has enough left for Federer. Like the announcers were saying, he has changed his game quite a bit - let's see if it works against Roger.

You're right the Andy vs. Andy match was really a good one to watch. I wouldn't normally give most people a chance against Federer an any final really, but I think Andy just might have a chance if his serve is at it's best. And I agree with you fluff, Federer is the most boring number one player in the game since Ivan Lendl, both have no personality whatsoever.
    Adversity reveals genius. -Horace

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

If being POMPOUS counts towards having a personality, then yes, Federer has one. No one really cares if you have a private jet and a Rolex.

Hats off to Andy Roddick - you played a fine game. Hung in there longer than most would have and did it with style.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

+ Reply to Thread