+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Wimbledon

Re: Wimbledon

I think that's one of the coolest things too, Critical, that this match overshadowed the Queen being at Wimbledon for the first time in over 30 years and overshadowed all the matches of the 'top seeded' players and will continue to be the memory of Wimbledon this year. It's one of those love of the sport moments that rose right above the usual focus upon entitlement issues that can become so rote.

And seeing all those 'top' players captivated by this saga, too, is something I'll always remember. Roger Federer was like a kid talking about Isner-Mahut and postponed the press conference from his match on the 2nd day a few times because he was hoping to see the end. And seeing Venus and Serena Williams in awe of it when they were asked about it and John McEnroe and Tracy Austin sitting next to each other out on Court 18 yesterday, not commentating on the match but just there as fans, was just so cool.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Sorry for the double post but I just had to say that John Isner is playing his 2nd round match first up on Court 5 today, starting soon. And I'm majorly bummed because I have a meeting so I can't just sit here glued to the TV today!

On a couple of other notes, Rafa is being criticized for not meeting the Queen yesterday but he's such a creature of habit - just even with his ritualistic lining up of the water bottles - that I can see how he had to focus on his routine. I'm pretty sure he would have been there if it wasn't a day he was scheduled to play.

I also saw the guys on Around the Horn on ESPN giving James Blake a hard time because, in the middle of his 1st round match, he told Pam Shriver that he could hear her talking during the points and it was distracting him. What they didn't get is that Pam sits very close to the court giving updates and you can hear her within a certain range. They thought she was in the commentators' box but that's not what she does. I think that started several years ago at the US Open during changeovers but now those courtside updates happen right in the middle of points and it is easily distracting to the players because they are very close to the court.

And I agree, BritLit, about Pam Shriver and Brad Gilbert both being annoying. And does Hannah Storm even know anything about tennis? I wish Mary Carillo had done the Isner-Mahut match with Patrick McEnroe. Mary used to annoy the heck out of me but she's actually grown on me over the years. And I wonder why Jim Courier doesn't do more commentating because he's done the US Open a few years and he's great at it. Maybe he's over on the Tennis Channel - which I don't get because clearly I'd never get any work done if that was the case.

ETA: Poor John Isner is finally just spent. He just lost the first set 6-love in like 20 minutes. Oh no, and now a trainer's out on the court for Isner.
    Last edited by chrisg; 06-25-2010 at 07:34 AM.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Sad to see John Isner go so quickly today, but it was so very expected. Poor guy. But he has doubles left today, doesn't he? That should be a little bit better since he doesn't have to have quite as much range.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Isner pulled out of his doubles match.

I was sorry to see Isner lost his match today, but I'm sure he just wasn't into it both mentally and physically. How could he be? Just want to add that he and Mahut are both winners and they both handled themselves so well on court. Great examples to up and coming players.
    Friends are those rare people who ask how you are and then wait for the answer. ~Author Unknown

I'm really disappointed with the amount of coverage I have access to. It's on for a few hours in the morning - and the past two days when I've tuned into ESPN when tennis was supposed to be on, it was some football show. All the other coverage is on the Tennis channel or something and that's a pay channel. I don't get ESPNU, which I guess has more coverage.

Wimbledon and the US Open are my two favorite tournaments of the year. It wasn't all that long ago when I could watch coverage practically all day long. Now I have to get up at 4 am to see it or I can wait for the 15 minute recap after the evening news. Bummed

Happy to see Venus out. Now, if Serena goes, we may have a newbie winning another Grand Slam!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I was happy to see Sharapova's gone. I can't stand to watch her.
    From the unnecessarily long time it takes her to get ready to serve to the shrieking of "Aaahhhhh Eeeeeeeee!" every single time she hits the ball I find her matches torturous to watch.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;3955866;
    I was happy to see Sharapova's gone. I can't stand to watch her.
    From the unnecessarily long time it takes her to get ready to serve to the shrieking of "Aaahhhhh Eeeeeeeee!" every single time she hits the ball I find her matches torturous to watch.
    I never watch Sharapova unless I want really want to see her opponent and then I turn the sound off. Isn't it amazing how Martina Navratilove and Steffi Graf managed to his the ball hard without sounding as if they were giving birth to a watermelon on every shot?

Also amazing is that the players are distracted by the slightest sound from the gallery but Sharapova's screeches don't bother them. That noise should have been disallowed when she first started.

The one I'm sorry to see gone is Kim Clijsters. I've always liked her, and I'm hoping to see someone other than Serena in the final.
    Last edited by Critical; 06-29-2010 at 09:29 PM. Reason: fixed messed up quote tags
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I tend to mute if one of her matches are on. Honestly though, at least she can play. Anna Kournikova used to make me cringe. Yes, she's beautiful, but I don't think she ever even broke the top ten.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Critical, try NBC, I think they're showing 3 hours of coverage this week (which is probably time adjusted for the West Coast) from 10 AM - 1 PM. And then ESPN2 seems to be picking up the coverage in between from 7 AM - 10 AM and 1 PM to 7 PM East Coast Time today. I think they stopped throwing to ESPNU yesterday as the World Cup Matches became fewer but who knows what the schedule will be tomorrow?

I have to check every day to try and cobble together channel changes for the DVR. It's infuriating. And those that don't get ESPNU are out of luck which is rude. It was SO much better when the smaller stations had coverage of the Slams along with whatever NBC and CBS picked up. Last year, I had to watch some US Open matches online at USOpen.org which never happened when USA had coverage of the US Open. Because ESPN covers so many sports, you just never know when they'll short-change tennis. :nono

ETA: Here's the link from when John Isner was on Letterman Monday to do the Top 10 list. It was really cute. Too bad Mahut couldn't have been there to do half.

Late Show Video - John Isner Top Ten - CBS.com
    Last edited by chrisg; 06-30-2010 at 09:52 AM.

+ Reply to Thread