+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Teen Warned About Grunting at DFS Classic

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar

Teen Warned About Grunting at DFS Classic

From the AP
    BIRMINGHAM, England (AP) - Russian teenager Maria Sharapova was ordered to tone down her grunting during her 6-3, 6-2 victory Wednesday over Nathalie Dechy in the second round of the DFS Classic.

Sharapova, who at 16 is one of the game's most promising young players, was warned by tournament officials after Dechy and players on an adjacent court complained about her high-pitched shrieks.

WTA Tour supervisor Donna Kelso and tournament referee Denise Parnell came on the court to ask Sharapova to lower the volume.

Under the sport's ``hindrance'' rule, a player can be penalized a point for excessive grunting.

Sharapova was quieter for a while, but after three points she went back to loud grunting. Dechy then complained to chair umpire Kim Craven.

``It was one of the loudest (grunts) I have heard,'' the French player said. ``But I just played my match and tried not to care about it.''

In other matches, seventh-seeded Alexandra Stevenson of the United States lost 3-6, 7-5, 6-3 to Virginie Razzano of France.

Second-seeded Eleni Daniilidou of Greece defeated Meilen Tu of the United States 7-5, 6-1, and No. 3 Magdalena Maleeva of Bulgaria beat Jane O'Donoghue of Britain 6-2, 6-4.

Sharapova is louder than Monica Seles, who was warned about her grunting at Wimbledon a decade ago.

``It's difficult for me because I have been doing this since I was four,'' the Russian said. ``But I have to think about how I can control it. If you get a complaint you just have to try to make people happy.

``I don't necessarily like it when I watch it on TV, but it is just automatic for me. But it's not going to be a major concern.''
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

This is just so bizarre to me.

I can't believe you would get a warning for it... unless she's doing it to psyche out the other players.

Personally, I hate listening to it, but if it's what comes natural, there isn't much you can do about it.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    I know, I found it to be a really funny story myself!
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

I think it would be an issue if you grunted when the other player hit the ball, but not if you grunted at your own hit. It is silly. I can see how a loud grunt might disturb someone on another court who was not watching the "grunter" and therefore was not expecting it. I thought that these trained atheletes were conditioned to focus on the game they were in and drown out all distractions.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

C'mon Without Cmon Within QuinntheEskimo's Avatar
    I haven't heard her grunt yet, but i've heard it's worse then Seles... which is ridiculous!

I dont think it really effects the game much more then a basketball player screaming after a dunk or a blocked shot, or a pitcher after a big strikeout- or a defensive lineman after a sack- but in all cases it is avoidable and really uncalled for...

It's pretty distracting to watch two grunters going at it...on the tennis court.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

That has to be some serious grunting.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

It's more of a high-pitched squeal, like stepping on a plastic mouse amplified 100 times. I can definitely see it being a distraction - especially the first one on a point, after a lull. Try to concentrate on a 120 MPH serve, and having to hear that noise... I can see the problem.

+ Reply to Thread