+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Winter Olympics 2018 - South Korea

Winter Olympics 2018 - South Korea

Bummer that the opening post in this thread has to be about doping, but here we are:
    Russia barred from competing in Winter Olympics - ABC News

Obviously, there are sports this will heavily impact, figure skating being one of the biggest. What other sports? Hockey, for sure.

The ban is a good move, but it's always disappointing when an Olympic Games isn't attended by major countries. Plus, there are some athletes who WEREN'T involved in doping who aren't able to compete and I feel for them.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Re: Winter Olympics 2018 - South Korea

I read that non-dopers could compete with or for a neutral country so we may see some figure skaters, I hope.
    Critical likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

That's better than nothing, I suppose. Sort of like how refugee athletes have competed under the Olympic flag in previous Games. Still, I'm sure it's bittersweet to compete, but not as a representative of your country and, if you win, to not see your country's flag raised and national anthem played.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

CCL

Plus will the Russian authorities allow them to compete? I don’t know how free their athletes are to make their own choices.
    Before we begin, what are the parameters of the guessing game? How many guesses do I get? Is there a time limit?

I saw in a news item on my phone today that the U.S. (Trump though the delegate to the UN) may withdraw because of proximity to North Korea. Please let this be just another stupid gov't bit of stupidity.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

The word is that it's not if, it's when, a war will start, so maybe it's time to cancel the 2018 Winter Olympics.

Lindsey Vonn said that if she goes, she will not be there representing DT, just the United States, and that if she is invited to the WH, she will not go.
    2016 Yearbook Title: As Playful, Faithful And Adorable As A Puppy Dog, But With Better Breath! ~ DWTS 20 Pool Winner ~ AGT 10 2nd Place ~ DWTS 22 3rd Place

FORT Fogey

The last time the U.S. withdrew from an Olympics for political reasons (the 1980 summer games), it did not serve then President Carter well. It was not popular on a whole lot of levels with a whole lot of people. Now, granted, while I prefer the winter games to the summer games, most Americans don't, so maybe it wouldn't have quite the same impact, but beyond the disappointed athletes and fans, there are definitely corporations that have some monetary investments in the games and not just NBC, which would be broadcasting them. There are also those companies which have tied advertising campaigns to athletes, the games etc. If Trump withdraws the U.S. team, then those folks--some of them potential donors--aren't likely to be happy either.

Understand that as much as I enjoy the Winter Olympics, I, too, have worried about how safe anyone might be there this time around, and I understand why countries might debate sending teams or not. I'm just not sure how much I'd believe Trump would be willing to do that unless there was a clear, demonstrable threat to the athletes (ie. reliable intel that the Games themselves, or particular teams/athletes were being threatened). Also, technically, the president does not have the final say about whether Team USA attends the Olympics, as the Olympic team is not financed by the government nor is it a branch of the federal government in any way. The president can call for a boycott, but the final say rests with the US Olympic committee. Not saying they wouldn't go along with a presidential request, of course. They did in 1980. Just that it's not technically the president who has the final call in such things
    Last edited by Tilden; 12-09-2017 at 01:57 PM.
    Brooks likes this.

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

I'm surprised they finally did something about doping and Russia. It's been rumoured, or widely rumored for as long as I can recall. I hope those that have remained clean will go, and compete for all the hard work they have put in..( if of course, they are allowed)
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Baby's Breath View Post
    Lindsey Vonn said that if she goes, she will not be there representing DT, just the United States, and that if she is invited to the WH, she will not go.
    All athletes are there representing their country. I can’t remember the last time an athlete said they were there representing the President/leader of said country. She needs to worry about actually finishing an Olympics healthy and not giving us her unwanted opinion.
    Brooks and Fanny Mare like this.

Sure they do, some countries speak right to/about their leaders at the Olympics, either in interviews or in person. The President of the United States typically calls and congratulates competitors. Lindsey was probably giving DT a head's up that she's won't be taking his call should she do well. I will never forget Sasha Cohen's time with President Bush - OLYMPICS: NOTEBOOK; Mom, It's the President - The New York Times. What a sweet moment that was for all of us.

This is not a right or wrong issue and Lindsey Vonn might have been the first one to speak up, but she won't be the only one who does, and let's not forget, everyone has a right to express their own opinion, particularly when asked.

U.S. athletes will face strict rule against protests at Winter Olympics - LA Times

U.S. Olympic Committee leaders — gathered in Park City, Utah, for a media summit — said Monday they don’t expect American athletes to violate the rule in Pyeongchang, South Korea, but also insisted that they support what has been happening across the U.S.

“I think the athletes you see protesting are protesting because they love their country, not because they don’t,” said Scott Blackmun, the committee’s chief executive.

- and further down -

“Part of me would be proud of that person for standing up or kneeling, or whatever, for their rights and using their voice,” Ross said. “Part of me would be a little bit heartbroken that we are being torn as a nation and we are doing these actions that make us seem that we're not one anymore.”

I'm still of the belief that the games should not go on. Things need to cool down over there first.
    2016 Yearbook Title: As Playful, Faithful And Adorable As A Puppy Dog, But With Better Breath! ~ DWTS 20 Pool Winner ~ AGT 10 2nd Place ~ DWTS 22 3rd Place

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast