+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree109Likes

Thread: Winter Olympics 2018 - South Korea

Re: Winter Olympics 2018 - South Korea

It is nice being on the Westcoast and being able to see Live coverage at 5pm (10am next day in S Korea).
    beerbelly and AZChristian like this.

But then you turn on the prime time coverage at 8pm and it's the same d@mned thing you just watched! At least that was the case last night. I hope that's not a sign of things to come.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

^^^^ and they're doing it again tonight! Annoying.

This is a pretty good schedule of events, so you can keep track of which sports are happening on which days: 2018 Winter Olympics Full Schedule | NBC Olympics.

We're not getting live broadcasts all the time, at least not the opening ceremonies, which happened while most of us were asleep. It's around 11 am in Pyeongchang right now.

Winter Olympics figure skating arena empty because of time zone demands - Business Insider

ETA: Not to be shallow, but what the hell is with those hideous gold gloves the US team is wearing at the opening ceremony? UGH. The rest of the clothing is great and - shocker! - red, white and blue! Once again, a head scratcher from Ralph Lauren.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

gold Trump's favorite color.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

I loved the opening ceremonies. Wow! They really outdid themselves!
    I like seeing all the countries arrive..the athletes look so happy to be there..
    May they all stay happy and healthy during the games.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

c'mon inner peace... Phart Blossom's Avatar

I was blessed to be able to attend 2 Olympics. I was in the Army when it was in Seoul, and again I was in Atlanta when they were there. I did go to some of the events. I love the Olympics!!

It appears people are all up in arms over the dog meat restaurants. They want the restaurants to stop serving it during the Olympics.
    beerbelly and SpringMaiden27 like this.
    Nobody is perfect...everyone's ass has a crack in it.

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

We only watched about 10 minutes of the opening ceremony. If Queen Elizabeth ain't skydiving into the stadium, I'm not interested. LOL.
    I'm Paula.

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    We only watched about 10 minutes of the opening ceremony. If Queen Elizabeth ain't skydiving into the stadium, I'm not interested. LOL.
    It was beautiful.. One of the best..
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

way too close to moose, black bears and other country critters

I love watching The opening ceremonies because I am able to see the parade of nations. When I see a delegation of 1 person it crystalizes the true intent of The Olympics. It's not abut a medal count, but rather participation in which giving it your best is the actual accomplishment. There are thousands of Athletes here who have no shot at a medal-but that isn't the point. To give your best even though you realize you'll be out of the running or last-and to be thrilled to do that, is what moves me.
    I enjoyed the opening ceremony. The mixing of the old ways and the new ways of Korea was enchanting and draw dropping, especially when the drones formed a snowboarder and then the Olympic rings.
    The tigers were amazing. I loved the traditional song sung by the older gentleman as well as the group performance of Imagine. I also felt a bit of hope for what can be when North and South Korea came marching in together, as one team, with an athlete from both countries jointly holding their flag.

And wo doesn't like scoring each countries uniforms?
    Fanny Mare and Phart Blossom like this.
    Well, I won't back down/No I won't back down/You can stand me up at the gates of hell/But I won't back down
    No I'll stand my ground//And I'll keep this world from draggin' me down/Gonna stand my ground/Well I know what's right/I got just one life/In a world that keeps on pushin' me around/But I'll stand my ground/And I won't back down-Tom Petty

way too close to moose, black bears and other country critters

I'm a skiing fanatic. And the will be the first Olympics since 1994 without Bode Miller. Who I have adored forever. He's the best Alpine skier in the history of the sport. He retired in November and I'm going to miss his controlled chaos skiing. He'll be a commentator, tough. But, still, watching him ski on any discipline was always exhilarating. I love his philosophy about skiing-winning isn't necessarily the goal. As for his athleticism, he once went down the course balancing effortlessly after his other ski fell off. https://youtu.be/QHxmVRXoVMA
    He grew up in the Franconia notch area of The White Mountains of N.H., where I grew up. He skied on Mt. Cannon , same place as me. Here in N.H. And I've seen some of is medals. They are now on display at The Ski Museum in N.H. Next to the bottom of Cannon Mt.
    I'm going to miss watching him. I took a photo of a few of his medals. 10506897_920833457931897_7198147687153423758_o.jpg
    Last edited by redsox girl; 02-10-2018 at 06:24 PM.
    SpringMaiden27 likes this.
    Well, I won't back down/No I won't back down/You can stand me up at the gates of hell/But I won't back down
    No I'll stand my ground//And I'll keep this world from draggin' me down/Gonna stand my ground/Well I know what's right/I got just one life/In a world that keeps on pushin' me around/But I'll stand my ground/And I won't back down-Tom Petty

+ Reply to Thread