+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree109Likes

Thread: Winter Olympics 2018 - South Korea

Re: Winter Olympics 2018 - South Korea

It is natural for an athlete to have political views. It is unnatural for us to expect them to be one dimensional.
    Fo'Realz? likes this.
    2016 Yearbook Title: As Playful, Faithful And Adorable As A Puppy Dog, But With Better Breath! ~ DWTS 20 Pool Winner ~ AGT 10 2nd Place ~ DWTS 22 3rd Place

Absolutely no one expects the athletes not have to have opinions about stuff. That's not the point. Maybe if they were using their medals as an excuse to pontificate about something you vehemently objected to you'd understand what we're saying. It's just not the right time if they also want to pretend they're representing the US. It's divisive. It's disrespectful.

No, I do understand. I could care less, though; if a speed skater gets interviewed and uses that platform to gush about how great America has gotten in the past 12 months, I won't be phased in the least. I might wonder if he or she is doping (), but I won't be phased.

And you don't know me so that's why you might not understand that about me.

But here's what strikes me - you said if they "want to pretend they're representing the US" ?

There is no pretending! They ARE representing the US whether you agree with their viewpoints or not.
    2016 Yearbook Title: As Playful, Faithful And Adorable As A Puppy Dog, But With Better Breath! ~ DWTS 20 Pool Winner ~ AGT 10 2nd Place ~ DWTS 22 3rd Place

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Baby's Breath View Post
    No, I do understand. I could care less, though; if a speed skater gets interviewed and uses that platform to gush about how great America has gotten in the past 12 months, I won't be phased in the least. I might wonder if he or she is doping (), but I won't be phased.

And you don't know me so that's why you might not understand that about me.

But here's what strikes me - you said if they "want to pretend they're representing the US" ?

There is no pretending! They ARE representing the US whether you agree with their viewpoints or not.
    In fact, by voicing a variety of opinions, they are representing exactly what the US, and the first amendment, are supposed to be about. For athletes from some of the countries at the Olympics, the right to do such a thing is astonishing because they do not have such rights. It's also hardly new for U.S. Olympians to express political opinions. There were plenty of opinions voiced about, for instance, gay rights during the Sochi Olympics, and fifty years later, people still remember the raised fists in black gloves in Mexico City.
    Baby's Breath and Fo'Realz? like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Baby's Breath View Post
    No, if they're using the Olympics as their bully pulpit in the way Lindsay Vonn is, then they're only representing those Americans they believe agree or identify with them, not the country as a whole. Vonn already said as much.
    Bart Taylor likes this.

Okay folks, enough with the political talk. We got rid of Current Events for a reason. We were okay with a little of it, but now it’s taken over the thread. Back to discussing the Winter Olympics, please
    Ana Bannana and petertracy like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

way too close to moose, black bears and other country critters

Teenager Maame Biney makes history as first female African-American speedskating Olympian - The Salt Lake Tribune

KEARNS, Utah — 17 year old Maame Biney became the first black woman to qualify for a U.S. Olympic speedskating team with a pair of victories in the 500 meters, beating Olympians Lana Gehring, Jessica Kooreman, and Katherine Reutter-Adamek.
    I can't believe it, aww geez," she said after squealing with joy. "It's a really good feeling, but it has to set in first because it takes me a while. I'm like, 'Holy cow.'"
    Before the second final, her father sitting in the stands held up a sign reading: "Kick some hiney Biney."
    She sure did.

DBPQT7LRN5H6JPHSNSC74GVUFQ.jpg
    Well, I won't back down/No I won't back down/You can stand me up at the gates of hell/But I won't back down
    No I'll stand my ground//And I'll keep this world from draggin' me down/Gonna stand my ground/Well I know what's right/I got just one life/In a world that keeps on pushin' me around/But I'll stand my ground/And I won't back down-Tom Petty

I saw this story! I think she has a heritage from Ghana. This makes me so happy!!!
    redsox girl likes this.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

way too close to moose, black bears and other country critters

Quote Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
    I saw this story! I think she has a heritage from Ghana. This makes me so happy!!!
    She is the embodiment of pure joy
    beerbelly likes this.
    Well, I won't back down/No I won't back down/You can stand me up at the gates of hell/But I won't back down
    No I'll stand my ground//And I'll keep this world from draggin' me down/Gonna stand my ground/Well I know what's right/I got just one life/In a world that keeps on pushin' me around/But I'll stand my ground/And I won't back down-Tom Petty

The Olympics makes me so happy! I love seeing 'American Stories' like this and I love seeing all the other countries.
    dagwood and redsox girl like this.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

+ Reply to Thread