+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree109Likes

Thread: Winter Olympics 2018 - South Korea

Re: Winter Olympics 2018 - South Korea

I'm not interested in the political opinions of athletes and other celebrities. And if they make a political spectacle at the Olympics, just because they can, they aren't representing me as an American and I will have lost a lot of respect for those individuals.

I don’t think Trump gives a sh*t if Vonn would “take his call” should she win. She’s just trying to gain more spotlight bc hers is fading fast. Just add her to the list of athletes/celebrities that think their political opinions matter to the general public.

She’s there to represent her country, no matter who the president is. And sure, maybe there are athletes here and there that give a “shout out” to their respective leader, but the majority are there for their country.
    Last edited by waywyrd; 12-10-2017 at 07:53 PM.

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
    I'm not interested in the political opinions of athletes and other celebrities. And if they make a political spectacle at the Olympics, just because they can, they aren't representing me as an American and I will have lost a lot of respect for those individuals.
    That's how I feel. The games are political enough imho, without the other BS.
    Brooks and redsox girl like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I'm sorry but the Olympics have always been one more avenue for a country to show its strengths and likewise, one more avenue for the people of that country to speak about its strengths. I've always found them to be highly political. Just take into consideration how many times it has made no sense who was awarded the venue.
    libgirl2 likes this.
    2016 Yearbook Title: As Playful, Faithful And Adorable As A Puppy Dog, But With Better Breath! ~ DWTS 20 Pool Winner ~ AGT 10 2nd Place ~ DWTS 22 3rd Place

Quote Originally Posted by Baby's Breath View Post
    Just take into consideration how many times it has made no sense who was awarded the venue.
    The athletes have nothing to do with that.
    libgirl2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
    The athletes have nothing to do with that.
    I'm sorry if I am not being clear with my point. Here is an article that I have found to support my post: https://www.theatlantic.com/news/arc...ic-ban/492047/
    2016 Yearbook Title: As Playful, Faithful And Adorable As A Puppy Dog, But With Better Breath! ~ DWTS 20 Pool Winner ~ AGT 10 2nd Place ~ DWTS 22 3rd Place

I think you were clear. I don't want politics at the level of the individual athletes. Their bosses and sponsors can do whatever they want.

Well, we still (for the time being, at least) have free speech in this country, so Lindsay is free to express her opinion if she likes. Since we currently have a president to makes EVERYTHING about himself, he'll surely somehow make someone else's Olympic gold medals HIS personal achievement.

The Olympics has always been political. That's just the way it is when athletes represent their country (vs. just themselves) and national leaders appear at the Games.

I questioned the IOC giving South Korea the Games back when it happened and that was before all this nonsense with POTUS poking that bear with a stick. North Korea is a powder keg and it's just gotten worse since Kim Jung-Il died. I hope that the US doesn't end up pulling out for safety reasons, but I also know I'd be worried if I was traveling there. Maybe it's not so dangerous as a random tourist, but as a world-class athlete representing America, it's a little less safe because of the visibility.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Taylor View Post
    I don’t think Trump gives a sh*t if Vonn would “take his call” should she win. She’s just trying to gain more spotlight bc hers is fading fast. Just add her to the list of athletes/celebrities that think their political opinions matter to the general public.

She’s there to represent her country, no matter who the president is. And sure, maybe there are athletes here and there that give a “shout out” to their respective leader, but the majority are there for their country.
    She just won her 78th World Cup, which is only 8 World Cup wins behind the current record holder.
    Ana Bannana likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Baby's Breath View Post
    She just won her 78th World Cup, which is only 8 World Cup wins behind the current record holder.
    I never said she wasn’t decorated, just that she’s declining. She isnt what she once was, as what happens when one ages. So it’s of my opinion that she’s jumping on this liberal bash train. It’s the “cool” thing to do these days. IMO these athletes and actors need to keep their political opinions to themselves. We pay for them to entertain us, not “educate” us.
    Fanny Mare likes this.

+ Reply to Thread