+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree109Likes

Thread: Winter Olympics 2018 - South Korea

way too close to moose, black bears and other country critters

Re: Winter Olympics 2018 - South Korea

What is wrong with people??? They did the same thing four years ago to a British speed skater. It was so bad she struggled for two years to overcome the depression, anxiety and fear it caused her.
    Well, I won't back down/No I won't back down/You can stand me up at the gates of hell/But I won't back down
    No I'll stand my ground//And I'll keep this world from draggin' me down/Gonna stand my ground/Well I know what's right/I got just one life/In a world that keeps on pushin' me around/But I'll stand my ground/And I won't back down-Tom Petty

FORT Fogey

Hooray for Germany's Savchenko and Massot--it's her fifth Olympics and she finally got the gold! Plus, she and her partner were dead solid perfect tonight. What a way to cap a career!

I was so happy for them and what a way to win it - with a personal best score and a clean program! I was particularly happy for him because, if they'd fallen short, many would blame him because he doubled that triple jump in the short program.

I did feel sorry for the Chinese pair. When the final results came in and the other two teams were celebrating, they looked pretty subdued. Those final scores were awfully close. While the Germans definitely won the gold, the Chinese also lost it. If they'd skated cleanly, they'd have won. I'm sure you replay those moments in your head over and over.

I was shocked to see Artur Dmitriev, who's there as a coach. I remember what a stud he was when he competed. Kind of a letdown. Then you see John Zimmerman, who's coaching the fantastic French pair, James and Cipres, right now and he still looks like a QC model.
    SpringMaiden27 likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

My favorite skates were Bruno & Aliona and Morgan & Vanessa. Such a great night of skating! The future is Sui & Han🙂

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Those figure skating dresses cost THOUSANDS of dollars. You'd think they could design one that didn't go right up the girl's bum within 30 seconds. That Russian skater's dress was wedged in there so far it was almost a colonoscopy. It was distracting. It seems like that wouldn't be acceptable to the judges. I'm not a prude, but it was a bit lewd. At one point, it looked like she was bare bottomed. Plus, how is that not uncomfortable!?

This is really disappointing: Shaun White Harassment Allegations Surface in Olympics | Time
    Well so much for that good cry I had when he won his gold medal.

Sigh.
    2016 Yearbook Title: As Playful, Faithful And Adorable As A Puppy Dog, But With Better Breath! ~ DWTS 20 Pool Winner ~ AGT 10 2nd Place ~ DWTS 22 3rd Place

Quote Originally Posted by Baby's Breath View Post
    Well so much for that good cry I had when he won his gold medal.

Sigh.
    It's just further confirmation that athletic (or musical or acting) ability doesn't mean someone is a good person. I had a discussion with someone on FB and she was saying that people shouldn't just rush to judgment and that this may be a witch hunt. Well, with as much evidence of his behavior as that woman had AND the fact that he settled with her, I'd say that this is far from a witch hunt. He also has had a rep for being a jerk for a long time. It's a shame when young people become famous and seemingly don't have anyone in their lives to teach them how to be good human beings.

SO heartbreaking to watch that Ukrainian skater's short program. I can't imagine how it must feel to skate that badly at the Olympics. His technical score was only 18.68 and his combined score was less than Vincent Zhou's technical score. I'm sure he wasn't expecting to contend for the gold, but it's sad when they don't skate the way they know they can.

That Malaysian skater So happy for him! I'm sure most of these guys in the early rounds aren't contenders, but I like seeing ALL of the skaters.
    beerbelly likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

FORT Fogey

I absolutely love being able to watch all the figure skating straight through, even if it did mean I blew five and a half hours watching figure skating last night (I keep reminding myself some people spend that much time on football games per weekend in the fall, which makes it seem less excessive). I do feel a little guilty about missing so many other sports, but figure skating has always been my priority, so....

I felt for Nathan Chen. I don't think he's fallen that much in the last three years. And, of course, people who don't follow the sport think he's not well enough trained or lacks focus, which is not true. It may not even be the pressure of the Olympics. It just may be the nature of sport--sometimes the worst things conspire to happen at precisely the worst times and no one will ever know why for sure. However, I was also really happy for those skaters who did well, especially Javier Fernandez, whose skating I love. If the podium stays the way it is after the short program, I can live with it, as I enjoy Hanyu's skating, too, and I understand why the two were scored the way they were last night. I'd just like to see him on the podium, as he came so close last time, and if he gets an Olympic medal on top of his world championships, that may help him further in trying to promote figure skating in Spain, which is what he's hoping to do after he retires from competitive skating. I'm also really happy for Brian Orser that his skaters are doing so well.

FORT Fogey

In my heart, I want Javier FernŠndez to take the gold, but Iíll be happy with a podium finish for him. Yuzuru Hanyu appears unbeatable, wow!

I was surprised at the hype surrounding Nathan Chen. Heís just now making a name for himself on the world stage. Thatís plenty without the added expectation of winning the Olympics. He was top 6 at the last World Championships, and that was his first time there. The expectation should have been the same for the Olympics. Heís just an 18 year old kid, and he probably has more than one Olympic competition to look forward to in his career.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringMaiden27 View Post
    In my heart, I want Javier FernŠndez to take the gold, but I’ll be happy with a podium finish for him. Yuzuru Hanyu appears unbeatable, wow!

I was surprised at the hype surrounding Nathan Chen. He’s just now making a name for himself on the world stage. That’s plenty without the added expectation of winning the Olympics. He was top 6 at the last World Championships, and that was his first time there. The expectation should have been the same for the Olympics. He’s just an 18 year old kid, and he probably has more than one Olympic competition to look forward to in his career.
    I wasn't. Did you see his free skate? That's how he's skated in pretty much every competition, with the exception of the two short programs he's skated at the Olympics. He's so good technically, but also artistically and, up until this week, was incredibly consistent. He beat Hanyu at the Grand Prix last fall. LOTS of international competitions that aren't the world championships.

If it's not Nathan getting the gold, then I actually don't care who wins it. Nice if Hanyu repeats for the first gold medal repeat since Dick Button, but also nice if a guy who's never won gets it.

I was so happy last night for that skater from Malaysia because he skated so beautifully. His goal for the Games was to make it to the free skate....and then he was ONE spot off. Twenty four advanced and he was in 25th place. Such a bummer! He did so well, but his technical skills just weren't up to the level of many of the other men.

I'm so confused and disappointed by the judging when I saw the Chinese skater who fell twice (I think?), and then he took first place over Nathan Chen. Doesn't he lose too many points by falling, or was his earlier program that good? I didn't see it.

Well, now the Japanese guy overtook the first place spot, but I just don't get this scoring, I guess.

+ Reply to Thread