+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Empire Maker spoils triple crown hopes

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar

Empire Maker spoils triple crown hopes

From CNN.com
    Funny Cide's improbable run at the Triple Crown ended Saturday when Empire Maker came splashing through the mud around the far turn and won the Belmont Stakes.

Funny Cide's defeat left racing still longing for its first Triple Crown winner since Affirmed in 1978.

Despite a steady rain, Funny Cide drew a large crowd who hoped to witness history. Instead, the New York-bred gelding became the fifth Kentucky Derby-Preakness winner in the past seven years to come up short in the Belmont.

This time Empire Maker turned the tables on Funny Cide, who upset trainer Bobby Frankel's colt in the Kentucky Derby. The colt ran up alongside Funny Cide with three eighths of a mile to go and jockey Jerry Bailey cruised home in the slop and held off closer Ten Most Wanted.

Funny Cide, sent right to the lead at the start by jockey Jose Santos, finished third. The first gelding to challenge for the Triple Crown never seemed to handle the sloppy surface.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

What a bummer.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)

eny
    FORT Fogey
    I was dissapointed . It was a great story , and these guys don't live too far from me.

Still 2 races, for a 75,000 horse isn't bad

Perhaps if the weather were better, FC would have had a shot. What's more, with only six entries, the track was wide open.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

The saddest part is that I was waiting for the race all day...it's like 3 minutes long and it didn't come out the way I wanted.

*stomps off pouting *

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    HMMMM, bummer, i hate that, I was cheering for FC. because he was still thought of as an underdog.

I wanted him to win sooo bad. Really bummed me out that he took third.

I was screaming so loud at the tv my kids and my husband came in from outside to see what was wrong. I was sooooo bummed.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

+ Reply to Thread