Thread: General Bachelor chat - spoiler forum

  1. #1531
    FORT Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    113

    Re: General Bachelor chat - spoiler forum

    Quote Originally Posted by ironcat View Post
    I didn't see Chantal as manipulative. I saw a woman with a good sense of humor and fun, who could be a bit of a tease, both in the romantic and non-romantic sense, and probably exhibited a greater degree of this personality than normal, to relieve some of the pressure/tension she felt from being in the show environment. I also saw someone who fell for Brad quickly (or was highly susceptible to the Bachelor Bubble Syndrome), and tried to get him to fall for her as a result, which some people may be interpreting as manipulation. I disagree, and would only consider it manipulation if she knew her feelings for Brad weren't that strong, but pursued him anyway just to win, or to get camera time. I actually think it was more likely that this was what Michelle was doing.
    I am not saying that Chantal is not cute and bubbly -- I am just saying that she is cute, bubbly, AND manipulative - that's all.

  2. #1532
    FORT Fogey just logic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,093

    Re: General Bachelor chat - spoiler forum

    Quote Originally Posted by ironcat View Post
    I didn't see Chantal as manipulative. I saw a woman with a good sense of humor and fun, who could be a bit of a tease, both in the romantic and non-romantic sense, and probably exhibited a greater degree of this personality than normal, to relieve some of the pressure/tension she felt from being in the show environment. I also saw someone who fell for Brad quickly (or was highly susceptible to the Bachelor Bubble Syndrome), and tried to get him to fall for her as a result, which some people may be interpreting as manipulation. I disagree, and would only consider it manipulation if she knew her feelings for Brad weren't that strong, but pursued him anyway just to win, or to get camera time. I actually think it was more likely that this was what Michelle was doing.


    Yes, she fell for him (or thought she did - that Stolkholm syndrome) but I still think this is what many people are calling manipulation - it is in a way and, I don't think that's a bad thing. It doesn't matter what her motivation was (love or to further herself) she 'still' was working him to get him to see her in a better light - good for her, she only has limited time with him early on and she used it well regardless of her reason for doing so.
    "It's just a show" - let's try not to trash people - tptb do that very well all on their own they don't need our help!

  3. #1533
    FORT Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    113

    Re: General Bachelor chat - spoiler forum

    Quote Originally Posted by ironcat View Post
    Well, she just earned additional props from me for correctly using the word "unfettered". (The vocabulary of most of these people is typically pitiful.)
    Actually unfettered was my word - I meant that the conversation was in her own words and not chopped up! But I am sure Chantal has a great vocabulary too!

  4. #1534
    FORT Fogey ironcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,454

    Re: General Bachelor chat - spoiler forum

    Quote Originally Posted by just logic View Post
    [/B]

    Yes, she fell for him (or thought she did - that Stolkholm syndrome) but I still think this is what many people are calling manipulation - it is in a way and, I don't think that's a bad thing. It doesn't matter what her motivation was (love or to further herself) she 'still' was working him to get him to see her in a better light - good for her, she only has limited time with him early on and she used it well regardless of her reason for doing so.
    I see the term "manipulative" as generally having a negative connotation, because it implies some degree of unscrupulousness. I don't feel that Chantal was being unscrupulous because her motivation was being (or thinking she was) in love. If her motivation was camera time or "winning", then I would agree that was unscrupulous, ergo manipulative. That's the way I look at it, anyway. YMMV.

  5. #1535
    FORT Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    133

    Re: General Bachelor chat - spoiler forum

    Quote Originally Posted by babyfaceC View Post
    I have no idea how we can derive from the show that we have watched that she is manipulative. I agree that it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, but I don't see it at all. She has an outwardly cute and bubbly personality. I didn't see her manipulate. I saw her flirt (and cry). I think people know her dad is in the car business and are trying to connect the dots that aren't even there
    Lol! Because I'm new to the board this season, this has been one of the most amusing things for me- for some, if you relate to/identify with one girl, must mean the other one is the lowest form of life. There are so many of us that agree with you about Chantal...just like so many of us don't see Emily as having been manipulative- just a more reserved and tentative personality. The fact is- they are completely different women, and bring out different qualities in Brad (not different from relationships in the real world). For me, it's always about who I have the most fun watching on Monday nts, and who I look forward to seeing be cute as a couple post-finale. You win some, you lose some.

  6. #1536
    FORT Fogey mprssdbyu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,235

    Re: General Bachelor chat - spoiler forum

    Start talking about vocabulary and I'll have to leave the thread and never come back!!! I have to laugh after I reread some of my posts as I never spell check or reread before I hit submit. I type like I talk. Unfortunately, but like Chantal, what you see is what you get! I don't know how to be any other way!
    Go wherever you go...... WITH ALL YOUR HEART

    I'm ready for the bach'ette Ash, now. My son is going to kill me if he lands on FORT these days seeing my new avatar

  7. #1537
    FORT Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    113

    Re: General Bachelor chat - spoiler forum

    Quote Originally Posted by just logic View Post
    There were a couple of instance which I mentioned in a post above. I'm sure there were more but I don't record the show and wouldn't bother going back to watch even if I had recorded. I agree, she's cute and bubbly - just also think she very good at people management (like that term better than manipulator).
    People Management, I love it! How very PR! I think I will use that from now on...Bernie Madoff was not a manipulator, he was just very good at people management LOVE IT!

    ETA: To be clear, I am NOT putting Bernie and Chantal on the same level! I am just being silly here.
    Last edited by Tessio55; 03-12-2011 at 01:11 PM.

  8. #1538
    FORT Fogey just logic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,093

    Re: General Bachelor chat - spoiler forum

    Quote Originally Posted by mprssdbyu View Post
    Start talking about vocabulary and I'll have to leave the thread and never come back!!! I have to laugh after I reread some of my posts as I never spell check or reread before I hit submit. I type like I talk. Unfortunately, but like Chantal, what you see is what you get! I don't know how to be any other way!
    Whereas, I'm perhaps more like Emily. I'll read my posts (don't bother with spell check though) and will sometimes actually take the time to hit the edit button if I notice a spelling or grammer mistake - sometimes I'm just to lazy though. Also, for those of you who think I'm spelling colour, neighbour or a few other words incorrectly, I'm Canadian and we generally use the British spelling of many words. So, as mprssdbyu and myself have different outlooks on a simple thing such as posting from what I've read of her I like her very much. 2 different people with 2 different outlooks - same as Emily and Chantel are 2 different people with 2 different outlooks. Doesn't make one better or worse than the other, just different from them.
    "It's just a show" - let's try not to trash people - tptb do that very well all on their own they don't need our help!

  9. #1539
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    40

    Re: General Bachelor chat - spoiler forum

    Any theories as to why Brad was so emotional after seeing his family? I mean he was almost sobbing hugging his twin brother and had to get up and cry while sitting in the couch with his family. Could it be that he was just overwhelmed with relief that the journey to love is almost over and with happiness that his family were all there to share his joy at finally finding the love of his life(Emily) who totally shook and rocked his world?

  10. #1540
    FORT Fogey carriealexander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,403

    Re: General Bachelor chat - spoiler forum

    Quote Originally Posted by just logic View Post
    Whereas, I'm perhaps more like Emily. I'll read my posts (don't bother with spell check though) and will sometimes actually take the time to hit the edit button if I notice a spelling or grammer mistake - sometimes I'm just to lazy though. Also, for those of you who think I'm spelling colour, neighbour or a few other words incorrectly, I'm Canadian and we generally use the British spelling of many words. So, as mprssdbyu and myself have different outlooks on a simple thing such as posting from what I've read of her I like her very much. 2 different people with 2 different outlooks - same as Emily and Chantel are 2 different people with 2 different outlooks. Doesn't make one better or worse than the other, just different from them.
    Gosh I hit edit at least 10 times a day.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.