Page 51 of 295 FirstFirst ... 414243444546474849505152535455565758596061101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Edit Analysis

Re: Edit Analysis

Quote Originally Posted by 59hawaii;4158320;
    In this article, Brad describes his F1 as

Bachelor Brad Womack: "I Chose the Right Woman" This Time - Movies, TV & Music - UsMagazine.com

It doesn't sound like Chantal to me, especially if she is vocal about her insecurities with Brad. If Chantal had kept her insecurities to herself, I could see how Brad might have viewed Chantal as stable.
    Remember that Brad could be talking in the present. His chosen one could be very stable now that she is secure in the knowledge that he chose her.

Quote Originally Posted by Logomaniac;4158368;
    Remember that Brad could be talking in the present. His chosen one could be very stable now that she is secure in the knowledge that he chose her.
    I agree. Besides Michelle, I really dont' see many of these girls really being unstable. Emotional when falling in love and seeing other girls hang on the guy you are falling for doesn't make them unstable in my book.

Both of the F2 have stable jobs, have been able to have loving relationships in the past, etc. I dont' see either of them as being unstable.

Quote Originally Posted by Logomaniac;4158368;
    Stable doesn't have to mean emotions either. Not that I think Chantal is emotionally unstable to being with, but he may mean that she as a whole (job, family, and relationship wise) is stable as opposed to very indecisive and wild.

ETA: tiggerlgh I see you beat me to it

Quote Originally Posted by northernviewer;4158252;
    thanks for the reply. and I've been around long enough to have read all the posts about the storyboard and the evaluations etc ... and believe they are true. BUT some took that to mean that it was all scripted in advance with the voluntary participation of the contestants. I've read that word "scripted" so many times and personally don't believe it. I believe the girls are pawns, used, manipulated and that their edit is exaggerated, but not that they are following a predetermined script (oh how I hate that word!!)
    Storyboard is one of those industry words (like "EDIT" frankly!) that gets thrown around on this board with no concept of what that word means in the context of an unscripted reality show (as contrasted to say, an episode of Grays Anatomy or The Simpsons).

From old post:

Hi I'msotired! Glad you asked actually! All this talk of story boarding has gotten way out of hand, IMO, at least compared to what I know about how it is put together. It is far more flexible, unpredictable, and complex than the Conventional View dominating this thread in particular.

(1) The LEAD absolutely is free to fall in love or pursue a relationship with anyone he or she fancies. At the end of the day, that's what they hope happens -- something spontaneous and real. It is reality tv.

(2) If "love" or "passion" do not happen spontaneously Next Entertainment is still contractually obligated to produce and air 16 hours of primetime television. SO, there are scads of manipulations, silly set up's, invented "dramas" and conflicts, achieved on film in hundreds of ways and following hundreds of background (off camera) conversations steering and guiding the lead to fall for one or the other, or keep one or the other -- they have to hedge their bets.

The core of the format is to make network television out of what "happens". If nothing worthy of TV time happens, they still have to air something, so they will take the elements they have and weave it into drama, story, scandal, whatever it takes to get something on the air that people will talk about, if not enjoy.

There is NO story board that says who will be F1. It's filmed on the fly as events happen.

One change over the past -- thanks to Brad Womack's breakthrough independence, IMO -- is to stop enforcing the show "rules" (can't leave and come back, can't have outside contact, can't have an overnight until the fantasy suites, etc.) so harshly. They go with the flow, and air the "rule breaking" as if it's really exciting and dramatic that someone "broke" a rule or crossed a line. That was helpful in terms of upping the ratings of a tired, tired old format that was losing its appeal even to its original demographic of the daytime soaps crowd.

on 9/6/09 I summarized my understanding of how this (and frankly any similar) reality tv show is put together:
    Quote:
    Replying to above posts about how the show is put together, story boards and the like. The best place to start is the end: the credits rolling at the end of the show. These jobs each carry duties/descriptions that are fairly standard now for "unscripted" TV, but the key people in terms of storytelling are producers and editors.

The producers cast and plan the show and then manage their planned story line during the shoot. Later -- using detailed logs and notes -- they direct the editors toward potentially interesting material and give their general organization/approval. For an hour- or two-hour long program, various producers screen up to 200 hours of footage ... maybe before the editors see a minute of footage.

The editors are the ones who literally create the content we obsess and over-analyze. The editors are the ones who cut and present the scenes to make them "romantic" or goofy, tense, sad.

During filming, junior staffers are charged with virtually transcribing/logging everything that happens on all the hundreds (and hundreds) of hours of footage that are shot from as many as 10 cameras (simultaneously at major shoots like Meet and Greet night), so that all along the way, story and character themes are discussed and teased out of the Set-up's / Situations producers have created (let's make Twilley into a stalker, and David into a Man Code freak; let's set Molly up to be resented by the other girls by having her spend the night in the tent with Jason, let's wake Bettina up in the middle of the night to ooh and ahh over someone else's date).

Show editors can choose among the multiple available story arcs generated from the Set Up's / Situations that have been filmed. Moments that might help illustrate a STORY or a CHARACTER trait are marked (electronically, in the log) all along the way. Story editors (titles can vary) watch hours and hours of footage and suggest Stories for airing. The editors might follow those ideas, or come up with something else.

Like any reality show, the producers/editors of The Bachelor would prefer unscripted drama/conflict/romance -- it makes better TV (I am in the minority but from day one I have 100% contended that Ed removed himself from filming, and then they capitalized on it. I also believe that they capitalized on Jason sincere realization that he and Melissa had no future, and he wanted Molly instead.).

But they have many backup plans, and manipulate people and events so much all along the way, before and after filming, that the assumption has to be that nothing you see reflects "what happened" to the real people, except in flashes of authenticity. Is Jake "perfect"? Was Wes merely promoting his career? Is Reid "quirky"? None of us could remotely comment on that from the 1% of their interactions that were presented on the show.

Ashley H: It's come down to the end and I think he's trying to figure things out
    We have "pre-determined" that Ashley H is F3..I think this statement solidifies that theroy.

FORT Regular

A couple of the women there made certain comments that show some insight as to Brad's behavior and the type of guy he is based on his actions.

BTW, Madison said that Michelle is not at all "crazy" as seen on the show. Read it somewhere on the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jlccaz;4158374;
    Storyboard is one of those industry words (like "EDIT" frankly!) that gets thrown around on this board with no concept of what that word means in the context of an unscripted reality show (as contrasted to say, an episode of Grays Anatomy or The Simpsons).

From old post:
    Hi I'msotired! Glad you asked actually! All this talk of story boarding has gotten way out of hand, IMO, at least compared to what I know about how it is put together. It is far more flexible, unpredictable, and complex than the Conventional View dominating this thread in particular.

(1) The LEAD absolutely is free to fall in love or pursue a relationship with anyone he or she fancies. At the end of the day, that's what they hope happens -- something spontaneous and real. It is reality tv.

(2) If "love" or "passion" do not happen spontaneously Next Entertainment is still contractually obligated to produce and air 16 hours of primetime television. SO, there are scads of manipulations, silly set up's, invented "dramas" and conflicts, achieved on film in hundreds of ways and following hundreds of background (off camera) conversations steering and guiding the lead to fall for one or the other, or keep one or the other -- they have to hedge their bets.

The core of the format is to make network television out of what "happens". If nothing worthy of TV time happens, they still have to air something, so they will take the elements they have and weave it into drama, story, scandal, whatever it takes to get something on the air that people will talk about, if not enjoy.

There is NO story board that says who will be F1. It's filmed on the fly as events happen.

One change over the past -- thanks to Brad Womack's breakthrough independence, IMO -- is to stop enforcing the show "rules" (can't leave and come back, can't have outside contact, can't have an overnight until the fantasy suites, etc.) so harshly. They go with the flow, and air the "rule breaking" as if it's really exciting and dramatic that someone "broke" a rule or crossed a line. That was helpful in terms of upping the ratings of a tired, tired old format that was losing its appeal even to its original demographic of the daytime soaps crowd.

on 9/6/09 I summarized my understanding of how this (and frankly any similar) reality tv show is put together:
    Quote:
    Replying to above posts about how the show is put together, story boards and the like. The best place to start is the end: the credits rolling at the end of the show. These jobs each carry duties/descriptions that are fairly standard now for "unscripted" TV, but the key people in terms of storytelling are producers and editors.

The producers cast and plan the show and then manage their planned story line during the shoot. Later -- using detailed logs and notes -- they direct the editors toward potentially interesting material and give their general organization/approval. For an hour- or two-hour long program, various producers screen up to 200 hours of footage ... maybe before the editors see a minute of footage.

The editors are the ones who literally create the content we obsess and over-analyze. The editors are the ones who cut and present the scenes to make them "romantic" or goofy, tense, sad.

During filming, junior staffers are charged with virtually transcribing/logging everything that happens on all the hundreds (and hundreds) of hours of footage that are shot from as many as 10 cameras (simultaneously at major shoots like Meet and Greet night), so that all along the way, story and character themes are discussed and teased out of the Set-up's / Situations producers have created (let's make Twilley into a stalker, and David into a Man Code freak; let's set Molly up to be resented by the other girls by having her spend the night in the tent with Jason, let's wake Bettina up in the middle of the night to ooh and ahh over someone else's date).

Show editors can choose among the multiple available story arcs generated from the Set Up's / Situations that have been filmed. Moments that might help illustrate a STORY or a CHARACTER trait are marked (electronically, in the log) all along the way. Story editors (titles can vary) watch hours and hours of footage and suggest Stories for airing. The editors might follow those ideas, or come up with something else.

Like any reality show, the producers/editors of The Bachelor would prefer unscripted drama/conflict/romance -- it makes better TV (I am in the minority but from day one I have 100% contended that Ed removed himself from filming, and then they capitalized on it. I also believe that they capitalized on Jason sincere realization that he and Melissa had no future, and he wanted Molly instead.).

But they have many backup plans, and manipulate people and events so much all along the way, before and after filming, that the assumption has to be that nothing you see reflects "what happened" to the real people, except in flashes of authenticity. Is Jake "perfect"? Was Wes merely promoting his career? Is Reid "quirky"? None of us could remotely comment on that from the 1% of their interactions that were presented on the show.
    Great find..I think this absolutely important to remember when viewing the episodes. It is said many times over but somehow gets lost in all the "support" of the viewers favorite choice. Even as posters we tend to stand firmly on the one we believe to be the F1. We have to remember that there is hours and hours of filming and then "the story" is told through thoses clips...as many of us have said for years "we want a blooper reel"

Quote Originally Posted by DeAnna/JenFan;4158281;
    And Ali before Jake's season!! ..... CH said something like: "Everybody loves her" .... right?
    “She’s the consummate girl next door. Everybody loves her — including Jake. She’s very easy to be around.” -Bachelor host Chris Harrison

I think Emily's been more in your face than Chantal IMO... they both got the intro, Chantal got a little blurb in the five to watch, but Emily's gotten a couple of two-page spreads in magazines... plus she got her long intro, the cutaway to talk to Ricki in the middle of someone else's date... the special talking to the girls about Ricky and the accident - if she's indeed getting the F1 edit, that's NOT hidden, at all...

Also, Chantal IS stable except when it comes to their relationship - and that's not exactly helped by the TPTB apparently purposely stirring the pot - Emily's very public invite to the picnic, the overnighters causing drama, etc. So it's entirely possible that NOW she's engaged and with Brad for certain and no other girls in the picture that she's back to her entirely confident outgoing self

ETA: Oops I missed a page of posts and a lot of people beat me to it
    TEAM CHANTAL //BOCA FOR BACHELOR

FORT Regular

So the "real" star of the show is the TPTB production crew? Manipulating, teasing n toying, mixed messages, red herrings, playing the media, etc.
    15 seasons of this and I'll say there are pretty good with the dramatics if losing some of the reality.

Chantal says in one of her VOs "Never in my wildest dreams could I ever imagined falling in love in Costa Rica....It's just paradise."

We will have to watch their "camping date" in Costa Rico carefully.