Thread: Reality Steve Spoilers

Re: Reality Steve Spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by jlccaz;4181649;
    Look, the business of TV will tell you the truth about this show every time. More than body language in screencaps or statements like "in the spring there will be growth," that's for sure! I must remember to petition for a thread next time, so boardies who want to imagine unicorns and lollipops and rainbows don't have to suffer through my real politik all the time! Cold hard facts:

(1) Emily signed with Mark Block, an important agent in Nashville to pursue television.

(2) She got cast on The Bachelor.

(3) Her edit is thus far setting her up to be Memorable and Appealing.

(4) The Bachelor cast has become the Farm Team for other properties in the Disney/ABC or Warner Brothers corporate families:
    -- Extra TV appearances (for low end of talent -- Deanna, Tenley)
    -- local news shows (Ali)
    -- Extreme Home Makeover and Good Morning America (for "America's Swe
    -- The Bachelor Pad (for the "gone wild" types)
    -- Blogging or vlogging at the Warner Bros. website

This is nothing more than the studio system*, or on TV, what Walt Disney did going back to the Mickey Mouse Club. Stars are made. They still do it on Nick and Disney with Miley/Hannah Montana, the whole cast of High School Musical, etc.

I don't think, incidentally, that this plain-as-the-nose-on-Brad's-face reality, is a scandal or a scoop or tabloid fodder.

If love happens along the way, it is secondary to the Business of TV.

We aren't watching people date. We are watching network television.

Most of their conversations revolve around whether to film a TV Proposal and bring that upon themselves, not whether to "get engaged" or married. Deanna panicked when Graham left because that's who she wanted to launch a TV Engagement with, not marry!

Brad sized Deanna up perfectly last time - she wanted to use her looks and fame to have a career on television, not settle down as a wife in Austin, Texas. He didn't want to be sported around on her arm as half of some fake couple for 6 months. I respect the heck out of him for that!

Finally, OF COURSE, the business of TV applies equally to Chantal. It is just a little hard to sleuth her agenda for the show or contract terms. Maybe she wants to be on TV, maybe not. We won't be able to tell until we see what happens after March finale airs. Maybe she will settle into Brad's family life in Austin, maybe she will look for TV gigs. You have to be suspicious of anyone who tries really hard to get on the show. Period.

**wiki definition of studio system

I, for one, would love that thread!

My niece was approached to be on TB. She is a past Miss California/USA. They courted her, she turned them down. I totally agree with your statement about being suspicious of anyone who tries really hard to get on the show.

Quote Originally Posted by skitts;4181650;
    Exactly on this, imagine how Chantal would feel if Brad knew of this but still pursued a "physical" interaction with Emily...of course this would only be for the show and to play the roles!
    I have yet to see anything I'd describe as "physical" between Emily and Brad...even the upcoming scene in the hot springs in Costa Rica seems rather chaste unless it goes farther than what we're seeing on the outtakes. If I were Chantal, I'd be way more upset about that smooch with Britt and the attach in Vegas by Michelle.

Look, the business of TV will tell you the truth about this show every time. More than body language in screencaps or statements like "in the spring there will be growth," that's for sure! I must remember to petition for a thread next time, so boardies who want to imagine unicorns and lollipops and rainbows don't have to suffer through my real politik all the time!

Cold hard facts:

(1) Emily signed with Mark Block, an important agent in Nashville to pursue television.

(4) The Bachelor cast has become the Farm Team for other properties in the Disney/ABC or Warner Brothers corporate families:
    -- Extra TV appearances (for low end of talent -- Deanna, Tenley)
    -- local news shows (Ali)
    -- Extreme Home Makeover and Good Morning America (for "America's Swe
    -- The Bachelor Pad (for the "gone wild" types)
    -- Blogging or vlogging at the Warner Bros. website

This is nothing more than the studio system*, or on TV, what Walt Disney did going back to the Mickey Mouse Club. Stars are made. They still do it on Nick and Disney with Miley/Hannah Montana, the whole cast of High School Musical, etc.

I don't think, incidentally, that this plain-as-the-nose-on-Brad's-face reality, is a scandal or a scoop or tabloid fodder.

If love happens along the way, it is secondary to the Business of TV.

We aren't watching people date. We are watching network television.

Most of their conversations revolve around whether to film a TV Proposal and bring that upon themselves, not whether to "get engaged" or married. Deanna panicked when Graham left because that's who she wanted to launch a TV Engagement with, not marry!

Brad sized Deanna up perfectly last time - she wanted to use her looks and fame to have a career on television, not settle down as a wife in Austin, Texas. He didn't want to be sported around on her arm as half of some fake couple for 6 months. I respect the heck out of him for that!

Finally, OF COURSE, the business of TV applies equally to Chantal. It is just a little hard to sleuth her agenda for the show or contract terms. Maybe she wants to be on TV, maybe not. We won't be able to tell until we see what happens after March finale airs. Maybe she will settle into Brad's family life in Austin, maybe she will look for TV gigs. You have to be suspicious of anyone who tries really hard to get on the show. Period.

Love your post, jlccaz So true.
    Jason/Molly and Trista/Ryan applied for for their own personal reasons whether it be for fame or fun and came out with a bonus!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea;4181598;
    I think what would be shocking, in light of the theory that someone will expose Emily as having gone into Brad's show knowing she will be the next B'ette, is that it would make a mockery of any connection the editors will try to show between them. I have been thinking too about Lithurgic's friend saying "all is not as it seems" and more recently that something will be revealed in two weeks. So...if we were to see a real deep connection between Emily and Brad, a closer and more physical connection that will lead viewers, who already love her to bits, to be firmly convinced she is the F1...and then it comes out (with proof I would hope, cause unsubstantiated rumours are stupid and pointless) that she is just playing a part and nothing we see between them is real, well that would be shocking and not just because of the current show, but also because many people then would not believe her during her own show either, and would be questioning everything. It could also make sense of the train riding over the bicycle comment, in that Emily would be the bicycle and the train would be the tabloid onslaught. Add in Michelle Money and her acting ability, and possibly something about Brad perhaps also knowing the score when he starts the season, and it is a bit of a scandal.

I, for one, would hate to have that happen. I don't think Emily would deserve the backlash because it's not her fault the editors have chosen to portray her as so perfect that she has a long way to tumble from the pedestal they put her on. And also because as a FORTer I know that most of the show is, very loosely, reality, and selfishly I want the show to continue despite it's flaws.
    Not only that, but if they see a deeper physical connection with Emily and love her, they are not going to believe Brad's connection with Chantal who they don't necessarily like. The crying Chantal hasn't been edited very well, so why would they if Emily has been edited well and has been shown with a respectable physical connection to Brad?
    If grace is an ocean, we're all drowning.

- John McMillan

Quote Originally Posted by Trueloveforever;4181656;
    What made me mad at DeAnna was that she made him get on one knee!
    She didn't make him, she let him... bit of a difference there. And she did it because the producers wanted a shot of Jason on one knee for the teasers.

Back on topic... if this involves more than one or two people - more than just Chantal or Emily - then I am curious who that might be. Michelle? I wonder if there is any paperwork out there that spells out her agreement with producers to play the bad girl.

RS says that part of the scandal has already been leaked and is starting to trickle out. Do you think it has anything with Bettina Bell's claims that she was seeing Brad prior to filming?

Or... perhaps Brad was already involved with the O'Brien family in some way? Were they together before filming started?

Anything is possible I guess but those are my best guesses.

Quote Originally Posted by barbell;4181640;
    As nice of a guy as Brad seems to be, he is on this show for a reason (whatever his reason may be) and he will do what he's told to do by TPTB. His primary concern is his own redemption and, if he did in fact fall in "love", the preservation of that "relationship", not whether or not casting is done for unscrupulous reasons. I think he will probably escape the viewers rath - it will be the show concept as a whole that will take a hit.
    I do think Brad is on for the right reasons. That is not saying that I don't think that there are women on the show that are not on for the right reasons like Michelle. I do think Fliess will get a main character and try as he might to get a edited version that wows the audience so they will tune in season after season. It appears to be working as that is what appears to be happening whether for good comment or bad. He does not care. If the chatter quit the people would quit watching and then...the end of the show.

I think Fliess unfortunatly uses people like Brad to line his pockets and does not care how many tears have been shed.

JMO

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Look, the business of TV will tell you the truth about this show every time. More than body language in screencaps or statements like "in the spring there will be growth," that's for sure! I must remember to petition for a thread next time, so boardies who want to imagine unicorns and lollipops and rainbows don't have to suffer through my real politik all the time!

Cold hard facts:

Sorry, I beg to differ and have shortened this to address certain points.

(1) Emily signed on with the Mark Block Agency prior to August 2008. If she wanted in Media or to get her 'big break', wouldn't she have done it before now?? I'd think it'd be a safe bet to say that 75% of the women who come on the show have pictures or signed on with an agency.

(2) It's already been said - a friend of Emily's signed her up. She was not pursued by ABC nor did she try to pimp herself out. Let's compare that with Chantal, who tried out not only once but twice, the second when her father got her another interview. Certainly tips the scale more in her favor, I would think, of trying to get herself on TV...

(3) Guess we could say the Bach'ette edit goes towards Chantal as well - her face is the one everyone sees in PI's. Her storyline is leading her to heartbreak - girl meets Bachelor and gives him memorable slap for the rest of America's women (minus me). She falls hard for him and begs him multiple times to send her home if it's not her. When the time comes for him to make his decision, he's going to choose another girl over her and America will feel sorry for her, thus setting her up perfectly for the next 'Ette gig...

I don't believe it's so easily cut and dry to throw Emily into the role of 'cast' contestant...
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin;4181704;
    Sorry, I beg to differ and have shortened this to address certain points.

(1) Emily signed on with the Mark Block Agency prior to August 2008. If she wanted in Media or to get her 'big break', wouldn't she have done it before now?? I'd think it'd be a safe bet to say that 75% of the women who come on the show have pictures or signed on with an agency.

(2) It's already been said - a friend of Emily's signed her up. She was not pursued by ABC nor did she try to pimp herself out. Let's compare that with Chantal, who tried out not only once but twice, the second when her father got her another interview. Certainly tips the scale more in her favor, I would think, of trying to get herself on TV...(3) Guess we could say the Bach'ette edit goes towards Chantal as well - her face is the one everyone sees in PI's. Her storyline is leading her to heartbreak - girl meets Bachelor and gives him memorable slap for the rest of America's women (minus me). She falls hard for him and begs him multiple times to send her home if it's not her. When the time comes for him to make his decision, he's going to choose another girl over her and America will feel sorry for her, thus setting her up perfectly for the next 'Ette gig...

I don't believe it's so easily cut and dry to throw Emily into the role of 'cast' contestant...
    I could see girls wanting to try out for this show, but if you were turned down, what would make someone want it so badly to try out again? I wonder what the reason was for her being told no the first time. I mean she's beautiful, seems to have a decent head on her shoulders and is very articulate, just curiousl I guess. Interesting that Daddy has enough pull to get her a second interview.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Max64;4181714;
    I could see girls wanting to try out for this show, but if you were turned down, what would make someone want it so badly to try out again? I wonder what the reason was for her being told no the first time. I mean she's beautiful, seems to have a decent head on her shoulders and is very articulate, just curiousl I guess. Interesting that Daddy has enough pull to get her a second interview.
    Inquiring minds want to know! Why did Chantal want to be on the Bachelor so badly?

Speaking of influential Daddy types... Much has been made of Emily's wealthy dad and "father in law". Just a guess here, but I'm thinking if she really wanted a show biz career they could have made it happen by now. They could have launched her career without the Bachelor.

On the other hand, I'm not sure that appearing in your Daddy's car lot ads shown to a regional market would have the same effect as appearing on the Bachelor.

Maybe her earlier casting, the producers had Chris L. in mind and wanted a certain type of girl.

Maybe they told her that, and after Brad signed up they went back and contacted Chantal to round out the 30 girls (and she was one of the extra 5).