Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Location, Location, Location!

FORT Regular

Re: Location, Location, Location!

I can't see TB staying more than one (1) night in Cape Town other than to rest up. The Cape Grace is marvelous, but I can't see them filming there! JMO. The train is GREAT, but too public, imo. Can't see them going to Kruger either ... too public and waaaaaaay too many tourists.

My choice of private reserves of SA:
    Earth Lodge Photo Gallery | Luxury Safari Lodge Photography | Sabi Sabi
    Zuka Lodge | Phinda | South Africa
    The Homestead | Phinda Game Reserve
    Londolozi.com || Granite Suites

The above also have "cheaper" rooms for staff too. Plus, they are all about conservation, schools for the children, jobs for the people, etc.

Maybe: Mala Mala or Ngala

My roommate in college was from SA. I adopted her as my "sister". She went with my family on all our trips/my house for years and years. Her family adopted me and I got to go to SA all the time. Good trade!! lol. Her family owns a Travel Agency in SA. I have asked about TB and where did they film/go. They won't tell. The so respect privacy.

I cannot see TB going to SA without a trip/date to the Great Zulu's or the Shangaan's. There are great cultural villages to be explored. I can see Brad meeting a Chief. Each wife costs 11 cows. Chiefs have many wives. They don't adjust for inflation/recession either. I asked.

Also, most of SA have landing strips everywhere. You just have to radio ahead to get the critters off the run way. Phinda has the Flight of the Fish Eagle. They will fly you over the Elephant Coast, watch hippos walk under water (they can't swim!!) to over the world's most vegetative sand dunes to the warm, beautiful Indian Ocean. Once you land, a land rover picks you up and you can go anywhere you want. SA's motto is Dream a Dream... they'll make it happen.

Side NOTE:
    A pride of Lions
    A crash of Rhinos
    A parliament of Owls
    A clan of Warthogs
    A raft of Hippos
    A journey of Giraffes

Hopefully this is not OT or wrong area. If so, delete or move. Once you get more SC, I "might" be able to help?
    Last edited by TwoStepper; 12-07-2010 at 04:09 AM.

Regarding places being too public - TPTB have a way of making public places pretty private - so some of the options above could very be where they were.........
    WHEW - Hang IN & Hang ON

Quote Originally Posted by Capegal;4121874;
    Regarding places being too public - TPTB have a way of making public places pretty private - so some of the options above could very be where they were.........
    Yep, it's a strong possibility that they were in and around Kruger due to Mr. Write's sc's of Lisbon Falls and the picnic areas.

FORT Fan

Itís probably a really dumb idea to speculate when we are just about to get the RS scoop, but I canít resist!!! Itís an illness, I guess. Apologies in advance for the length of this post.

So Ö Iíve been thinking about the Brad/Emily sand spit scs a little more.
    As other folks have already pointed out, I think the clouds in these match:

Besides the sand spit and the clouds, however, there are at least two other things to look at that might give clues as to the location Ė the sunset and the water inside the sand spit.

If this is in Costa Rica (and Iím not certain about that), but if it is, then the sunset suggests the Pacific Coast. The scs show the sun setting almost perpendicular to the beach. Obviously, the azimuth of the sunset changes from day to day and from month to month. I looked up the sunset for the time that we believe TB was in Costa Rica and calculated the orientation of the beach based on the assumption that the sunset was perpendicular to the beach. It came to ~352 degrees.
    The coast of Costa Rica runs anything from North/South to Northwest/Southeast. Which means that the sun will set perpendicular to the beach in certain areas but not others.

To illustrate the point: here is the sunset at Playa Bejuco

And here is the sunset at Playa Guiones,

So to cut a very long and boring story (illustrated with dozens of google earth images) short there are only certain areas of the Costa Rican coast where the Brad/Emily sc could have taken place. The list includes several places along the Guanacaste Coast (where Playa Langosta, Playa Guiones and Manzanillo are), all the way to the south near the Rio Sierpe, and a few areas in between along the Puntarenas Coast, but only where the coast shifts from its general NW/SE configuration to a more N/S orientation.

So what about the water? Well, it seems as if there is quite a lot of wave energy inside the sand spit Ė which in the context of the Costa Rican coast means, I think, one of several things. Either we are looking at an area where water is flowing out of a river or bay and that flow is interacting with the tide in one way or another, or we looking at part of a boat wake, or both (shout-out to MiniDiva Ė in other areas (eg. SA or the Caribbean) it could also mean that we are looking at a sand spit protruding from an island with the wind blowing from one direction and the sun setting in the other). Anyway, - back to Costa Rica - there are quite a lot of rivers that flow into the Pacific along the Costa Rican coast, many of which have sand spits at their mouths. So, I combined what I think I know about the sunset with what I think I know about the hydrography, and looked at images of the sand spits in those areas.

For some rivers/bays the sunset looked good, but not the sand spit (eg. Playa Coyote)
    In other areas the sand spit looked good, but not the sunset (eg. Dominical)
    (I can post images if anybody wants to see them)

In other areas both looked good. Which means ..... well ÖÖ I still donít know, darn it. But Ö. here are my three favorite possibilities.

1. The area just to the north of Whaleís Tail (immediately south doesnít work, but north does). It looks like this:

2. Playa Langosta (or there abouts) on the Guancaste Coast. Sunset works, sand spit sort of works and there are lots of big time luxury hotels/resorts in the area (check them out)

3. Quepos Harbor on Puntarenas Coast: Sunset works, sand spit works (I think), boat wake theory might work and there are lots of luxury hotels/resorts in the area.

And note the boat wake.

Unfortunately, there are other options too - including the mouth of the Rio Terraba, but I wonít post any more images for now. With time, Iím sure I could work it out, but it may be a moot point after today. If any mystery remains, Iíll have another go.

Awesome Job Mr. Write, as usual I noticed the date and time stamp on the pics of the sunset 10/16. If that is the indication of when that picture was taken and if we had an idea of the date, with the type of pictures you have there, we could see if the sky was clear or cloudy when the sun was setting.

FORT Fanatic

I'm just in awe of your talents, Mr. Write. You can just about pinpoint any location that is thrown at you. I am looking over my shoulder ... can you see me!

Congratulations on the fabulous find and post!
    The mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work unless it's open.

Itís probably a really dumb idea to speculate when we are just about to get the RS scoop, but I canít resist!!! Itís an illness, I guess. Apologies in advance for the length of this post.
    But it ain't over until it is over! We just can't help ourselves! If this is the location, then we can't prove Emily made it to F3. Like you say, we will get the scoopage soon.

Awesome job Mr. Write! I love the earth shots with the sun in the background! It is part of your magic . . . how'd he do that?

Wowza Mr. Write, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways....!

It's great that all of us are still sleuthing at the 11th hour, it's too much fun!

Interesting that RS has presented very little information on any of the dates that were not in the US. No specific info on Costa Rica dates, Anguilla or South Africa. We have more information through our caps that he has presented.

Maybe now we can id some of the girls and call them by noame .
    "Know that you are not the master of your days, but the pioneer of their purpose"
    "My policy: no stone throwing regardless of housing situation." moanamarie
    "well, I am on the right side of the grass." brad womack
    "Create your future.You are not a victim of the world but the hero of your own life"

FORT Fan

I feel a little foolish coming back so soon after posting all that stuff about the Costa Rican sunset and hydrography, but I think Iíve changed my mind. Since RS didnít help us out with much with the later episodes (other than, of course, the most important info ie. F1), I looked at the Brad/Emily beach sc some more. Something didnít seem quite right, so then I looked at the filming schedule again and wondered if it was even likely that they filmed in two locations in Costa Rica Ė its only one episode, right?

So I decided to look at Anguilla and St. Martin again, and, given the azmuith of the sun, tried to figure out if it was possible for the sc to have been taken there. While the main islands didnít look good, there is a small island just to the north of Anguilla called Sandy Island, which seems to fit very well. Iím still not sure, but I think itís a real possibility.

and in google earth with and without the sunset