I have to admit I groan a little when they have Bollywood as I think Josh and Katee were the only good ones that I can recall....it seems it has sent other contestants home.
Glad I am not alone in wondering who picks the "talent" portion of SYTYCD. I had no idea who Blush was, but I have heard of Snoop Dogg and thought perhaps that had made them guilty by association. After about 15 seconds, I left the room and headed for the kitchen. After another 15 seconds, I came back to hit the mute button because it was unbearable even from the next room.
Blush was terrible and I was kinda surprised Snoop would want to be associated with such an awful group. Apparently they are the product of a reality show called Project Lotus, which is like an Asian version of Making the Band. I looked up their song Undivided on the web and the recorded version definitely sounds better, but it is completely forgettable.
Thank you for that info, Closet. I often wonder where they get the singing groups for these shows. I guess I'm an old fogey because it's usually somebody I've never heard of.
My Favorite Dancers (and nope, wouldn’t even think of trying to critique a dancer).
1. Sasha: Was my favorite from the minute I saw her. The judges think she’s a great dancer, so that’s good enough for me. But, that’s not the reason I like her. She’s pretty but not beautiful (beauty is always subjective); curvy but not vivacious (“fit” is probably more apt); feminine but not girly; likable but not effervescent. She’s charming and charismatic, but not overt, and neither is fully utilized or on display until she starts to dance. That’s when the magic happens; when all that fire power and tsunamic energy burst forth. She is absolutely mesmerizing, and I am not sure she even knows just how unique and special she is. She’s knows who she is and refuses to pretend anything else. Previous seasons of SYTYCD yielded at least one male dancer blessed with it, and Comfort sometimes likes to flirt with it, but Sasha is SYTYCD’s first female dancer with an authentic androgyny. Judges nicknamed her the Amazonian Princess, but I think she’s an Amazonian Athlete. I love this kid, and watch back her performances all the time. Can she win? Her chances are good but I wouldn’t bet a penny on it. She’ll need a lot of luck and a lot of help from her competitors. Melanie and Caitlynn are locks for the final four. I think Jess will be there too; for reasons discussed below. Hopefully, Sasha will take the last spot in the final four but I don’t expect her to beat out Melanie or Caitlynn for the title. American Idol had a lock winner this season, in the form of Scotty McCreery. I think SYTYCD also has a lock winner this season, Melanie. If you could build a perfect SYTYCD contestant, she’d be it. Yes, I am rooting for Sasha, but I am crazy about Melanie, Caitlynn, and Jess as well, so will be very happy no matter who wins.
2. Melanie. How can anyone not like this little tyke? But, honestly, I enjoy her more than the dance. I do not look forward to her stage performances with the anticipation; e.g. like Sasha. Melanie’s sweet, blessed with Kelly Clarkson charm and wholesomeness. And her likability is through the roof. Likability is something you’re born with; you can’t fake it and you can’t learn it; and you can’t beat it with talent alone. It, more than anything, made Scott McCreery a superstar. For me, she’s more daddy’s little girl than woman; e.g. you know, that Marie Osmond, Mary Lou Retton innocence and na´vetÚ; very cute but sexually unaware. So while I enjoy the gender neutral stuff, I’m not buying the adult sexy stuff at all. But that’s only a small part of who she is and I can do without all that. Anyway, this kid is a formidable opponent and it will take something really special to prevent her coronation. If I were a betting man, I bet the house. One last thing. If she does win, as many expect, the biggest winners here will be the SYTYCD suits. Nigel and the guys won’t find a better ambassador anywhere in America than this cute little radiant bundle of joy and good will.
3. Jess. He can’t win. I picked him to make final four. But even that won’t happen if he slips up and finds himself in a dance off. It seems to me Nigel doesn’t like him very much. If he avoid a dance off, I expect him to be the last male standing. Why? Because he reminds me of Evan Kasprzak, another little pimply, pale-faced, five foot nothing, hundred and nothing Gene Kelly clone that finished third. I voted for Evan and I am also voting for Jess. Each is a refreshing contradiction. They relish and thrive on a retrodative bonding of contemporary and old school Broadway art forms. I love it! Jess is a lot like Sasha, Melanie, and Caitlynn, all four are real and authentic. They know exactly who they are and do not pretend anything else. Mia Michaels once said of Ivan Koumaev “you’re a dude” (welcome home Ivan; glad you’re back, bro). The same can be said of Jess. Definitely my favorite male dancer; the only dude I look forward to seeing each week.
4. Caitlynn. She’s got all the right stuff to win it; charisma, charm, wholesomeness, likability, and beauty. Trouble is, Melanie has all those things too, in larger portions. Unlike Melanie, Caitlynn is blessed with palpable and camera-friendly sex appeal. I’m walking on thin ice here (a confessed dance idiot) but Sasha and Melanie appear to be the better dancers; but what do I know? Like the top three, Caitlynn is as real as it gets, people love her; people will vote for her. She’s a guaranteed crowd pleaser, and the competition better keep a very close eye on her, especially Melanie. I doubt she will, but one wrong word or one wrong dance step, and this kid will pull the upset.
5. Ricky. He definitely can't win and I’m not a fan but he has earned my respect. He’s a real fighter; refuses to give up. Bloodied and bullied by the competition so far and inexplicably ignored by voters, this skinny little dude has the heart of a warrior. He will fight you to the death. You gotta admire a man like that; gotta admire his courage; his unburstable heart, and I do. Give em hell, Ricky!
6. Jordan. Another fighter; a true heroine. Like Ricky, she’s been bloodied too, but mostly by her partner. That partnership catapulted Tad into SYTYCD superstardom but in my opinion, lost her the competition. The judges praised and gushed over Tad and Jordan got the leftovers. Because of the inequity, Jordan did not get the same head start that Tad got. As a result, she’s now faced with the unenviable task of building a fan base from scratch; two months into the competition, when most of us have already settled on a favorite. I like this girl; she’s endearing and lovable. But her partner ship with Tad did nothing to promote herself so she’s got a lot of work to do; too much I think.
7. Marco. Not a fan, but, I do like him. He’s too much to take in; way over the top, even if real. The tears irk me, again, even if real. I try very hard to be honest and I am very careful not to disrespect the judges or the competitors, but I want to be honest as well. All the contestants want to win; all are ambitious, but this kid is too desperate, and that sometimes translates across a television screen as pretentious. The ladies love him though; that will help him through this. Because I like Marco, I hope I’m wrong, but these are my honest impressions.
8. Tad. I’m having a hard time bonding with this guy. Can’t speak to his dancing but, as a person, as a dude, I don’t believe him. I would imagine that when he watches himself back, he won’t like what he sees: the constant mugging and chasing the camera; sexing the camera; the egomania, the flexing, the sucking up. Such behavior inevitably annoys viewers and works against the very thing it is supposed to achieve; e.g., likability. And it certainly won’t win you a title. Unlike Marco, who is blinded by ambition, Tad's eyes are wide open.
Favorite Dance: Twitch & Sasha. Not the equal of Alex and Twitch but I still loved it. I owe Christopher Scott an apology. I was ready to blast him because of some incredibly boring hip-hop routines this season (not good television at all). But now I don’t know what to think. Maybe he just needed the right personnel to breathe life into his vision? And if the dancing wasn’t enough to win me over, dude reached even deeper into his bag of tricks and pulled out Dorothy Moore’s Misty Blue, one of my all time favorite songs and the last 45 rpm records I ever bought (still have it). I love that song. Well, after this week, I couldn’t diss Christopher Scott, so I’ll wait and see what he does the rest of the season. Didn’t like NappyTabs either for along time. But, they won me over last year with Twitch and Alex, and I am now one of their biggest fans.
Sonja: Don’t understand her choreography at all but, she as a judge, she’s a natural; duck to water. Travis is a great guy, but as a judge, he's not ready for prime time.
Please Stop Disrespecting The All Stars: I hope the judges stop telling the competitors they out-danced the All Star. It’s embarrassing and unnecessary. Nigel said that to Comfort (and Neil) last year and said it again to Comfort this week. I thought he was going to say the same to Allison, my all-time favorite dancer, but thankfully he stopped short. Nigel is a great guy, but I definitely did not want to hear him say that to a genuine superstar like Allison. She is, in my eyes, SYTYCD’s First Lady, and should never be disrespected. In fact, none of the All Stars should have to hear those words.
Neil Patrick Harris: Little Doogie! Love him. By the way, as much as I like Tyce, Neil was right to blast him. That Melody & Mitchell number was not very entertaining at all. So Tyce deserved that.
can someone refresh my memory on eliminations each week - do judges keep sending one guy and one girl home until final 4 and then let viewers decide who stays irrelevant to whether guy or girl? Or at some point will they actually send two guys or two girls home if they are the weakest? Or are they already doing that....my memory is blank at the moment other than I seem to remember last year that at one point we had 6 guys and only 2 girls left I think......so I may have just answered my own question...lol
I think Melanie, Sasha and Marko are a lock for the final 4. I don't have a strong feeling for who that 4th will be. Never mind who dances better, at this point, as Nigel says, America picks their favorite dancer. I don't see Jordan (bottom too many times) or Jess (short and facial expressions) as a favorite.
So we have Caitlyn, Tadd and Ricky as contenders from where I sit. I would put money on Tadd because he is a B boy who is dancing extremely well in other genres. That is a huge accomplishment.
Someone with a better memory will have to jump in with when this was :-)
This is the first year in ages that we aren't voting off the top 10 finalists. It's hard to believe that this is to find "America's favorite dancer" when only the bottom 2 or 3 are decided by voters.
It was last season, Season 7.
The final 6 contestants were Lauren, then Kent, Robert, Adechike, Billy and Jose.
Robert, Kent and Lauren were the final 3.