Faina Savich, 21, is a Latin Ballroom dancer from Brooklyn, NY. Following in her brother Stanislav’s footsteps (he was a finalist in Season Two), Faina grew up in Moscow and has been living in the U.S. for six years.
1. What is your full name?
2. Do you have a nickname?
I do… but it’s a secret, because I’m trying to get rid of it…It’s in Russian without any possible translation.
3. How old were you when you started to dance?
I started to dance when I was 9 years old. It all began with Russian folk dancing, which is probably the inevitable destiny of every child just starting out dancing in Russia.It was fun!
4. Do you have any formal dance training? If so, please provide details reagrding training.
I started to do ballroom and Latin at the age of 11, and continued with Latin only when I moved to the States. And not to forget: 2 months of homeschooled hip-hop with my brother!
5. If you had to categorize your dance style, what would it be (hip hop, ballet, tap etc…)?
6. What other talents/hobbies do you have?
I probably have some other talents yet to be revealed, some time in the future…I have recently started to do yoga, which is amazing! It keeps me sane through my crazy days! And of course my opera singing…but it is far from a talent…haha. But for now, opera singing is a hobby/talent
7. Who is your favorite professional dancer?
Among Professionala Latin dancers- Carmen Vincelj. And of course my heart belongs to the outstanding Mikhail Baryshnikov and Maya Plisetskaya.
8. Does anyone in your family dance professionally?
No, but my parents are really good! My dad and I are always the best couple at the parties! And my mom is probably the one my brother and I got some talent from.
9. Have you performed in Music Theater or in public functions as a dancer?
10. What would you like to see happen to you as a result of the show?
First of all, I hope I’ll last long enough to try as many different styles as I can, so that I’ll at least have a taste of them. I’m also looking forward to learning and improving in my technique, style and hopefully professionally, of course! And as a result, hopefully, I’ll be getting great jobs!
11. Where would you like to be in 10 years and what would you like to be doing?
I finally figured out for myself where I’d like to be in 10 years but it’s kind of vague yet and is still hard to put into words. One thing for sure, it’ll be all dance related.
12. What has been your most memorable dance experience?
I’ve had some amazing ones since I was little. For example, my first competition ever, I got first place in ballroom and second in Latin, which made me very unhappy, I remember as if it was yesterday. I recently had a blast looking at that old tape. There were some other great moments. But the audition week in Vegas has been by far the most valuable and memorable out of all!