Like Tree11Likes
  • 2 Post By MFWalkoff
  • 4 Post By Fanny Mare
  • 2 Post By annemik
  • 2 Post By MFWalkoff
  • 1 Post By Arielflies

Thread: SYTYCD 14 (Summer 2017) - News and Speculation

SYTYCD 14 (Summer 2017) - News and Speculation

Not definite-definite yet, but early talk sounds positive for a new season...and yes, they know nobody liked the kids season.

‘So You Think You Can Dance’ Expected To Return For Season 14 In Summer

by Nellie Andreeva
    January 16, 2017 12:25pm

Fox is yet to weigh in officially on the fate of summer reality staple So You Think You Can Dance, but things are looking up for the venerable dance competition. “We expect the show to return for a 14th season in the summer,” Fox chairman Gary Newman told Deadline during TCA last week. “We are having lengthy conversations with the producers about it.”

The extensive talks follow mixed reaction to last season’s 13th installment, which was branded SYTYCD: The Next Generation and featured child contestants. The core SYTYCD fan base did not embrace the format change, and now the network and producers are spending a lot of time figuring out Season 14. While talks are still going on, Newman indicated that next season will return to SYTYCD‘s roots and stick closer to its original premise.

SYTYCD would anchor an all-unscripted summer 2017 lineup. “We have no plans for a scripted series to air next summer,” Newman told Deadline. Mystery drama Wayward Pines, which ran the last two summers, may return for a third installment but it won’t be ready for this coming summer, Newman said during the Fox TCA executive panel.

Of Fox’s upcoming summer slate, Newman highlighted new game show Beat Shazam, executive produced by Mark Burnett and hosted by Jamie Foxx, for which the network has high hopes.
    Arielflies and Cornholio like this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

Re: SYTYCD 14 (Summer 2017) - News and Speculation

While talks are still going on, Newman indicated that next season will return to SYTYCD‘s roots and stick closer to its original premise.

........that's all
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Fantastic! I love this show, but did not watch last season (and it was the first one I've ever missed). I'm glad they've come to their senses and returned to an adult competition.
    Cornholio and Fanny Mare like this.

Hear hear! Me too! I didn't watch last season as I have zero interest in watching children compete. If they have older competitors I'll definitely watch again!

I didn't watch any of the Kids season and barely any of the past two before that. I wish they would return to selecting more raw talent.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

I don't think they can make it any plainer than this:

‘So You Think You Can Dance’ Renewed For “Back to Basics” Season 14 Featuring Adult Performers

But they are still throwing some All-Stars into the mix as well.
    SpringMaiden27 and mesachick like this.
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Mary's back!

Mary Murphy Returning As Judge On Fox’s ‘So You Think You Can Dance’

by Nellie Andreeva
    March 2, 2017 11:00am

Fox’s veteran reality series So You Think You Can Dance continues the return to its roots, bringing back original judge Mary Murphy for the upcoming 14th season this summer. She will be reunited with returning host Cat Deeley and judge Nigel Lythgoe. (Fox said that another judge will be announced soon, with no mention of Jason Derulo who had been behind the table for the past couple of seasons.)

“This season is about giving our loyal fan base what they’ve been asking for,” executive producer Lythgoe said at the time of the January renewal. Murphy’s return falls into that.

Murphy had been a staple on SYTYCD since the very beginning, so fans were not thrilled when she exited after Season 11, replaced by Paula Abdul. The former American Idol judge announced at the recent renewal that she would not be coming back after 2 seasons because of touring, and Murphy is now getting her chair back.

Next to Lythgoe, choreographer and former ballroom dance champion Murphy had been the longest-serving and most popular SYTYCD judge. She started as a guest judge in the first two seasons before being named a permanent judge alongside Lythgoe at the beginning of Season 3. Besides a break she took in Season 7, she has been a regular on the judging table through Season 11.

Murphy’s return follows Fox’s decision to go back to SYTYCD’s original setup of showcasing skilled dancers ages of 18-30 following the kids-themed 13th installment, branded SYTYCD: The Next Generation and featuring contestants ages 8-13, which was not embraced by the core SYTYCD fan base. The Top 10 dancers again will be paired up with All-Stars.

“I am thrilled that Mary will return to SYTYCD and I’m sure the fans will be, as well,” Lythgoe said. “She brings an energy and enthusiasm that’s contagious and I can’t wait for her to join me on the judging panel. I’ve got a pair of earplugs ready, and another for our third resident judge, as well.”
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

Good news! The hot tamale train!
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Whoo! Hoo! Mary's back! Nigel is smart to get his earplugs ready. Yeah, all this news is making me happy.
    Photobabe likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

+ Reply to Thread