+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 49
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: 6/11 SYTYCD 11: Audition #3 **West Coast Spoilers**

  1. #31
    Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Age
    44
    Posts
    6,578

    Re: 6/11 SYTYCD 11: Audition #3 **West Coast Spoilers**

    I love Cyrus and Fik-Shun so I've been thrilled to see them back during the auditions.

    I also love that the show takes time to let younger dancers and family members perform. It's a good thing to encourage dance in any form, not just for competition.

    With the number of talented kids we've seen in the auditions, maybe they should consider doing a So You Think You Can Dance Junior version.

    Regarding Armen, I'm surprised he didn't do a lift with his partner to show the judges that he's been working on it and won't drop the person he's partnered with this time.

    I am one of those that gets tired of emotional back stories. It seems like EVERYBODY has one now and it gets annoying. Maybe they should stick with dancing during the auditions and once they make it to the top 20, then they can start to focus on some of these back stories. I don't want it to seem like someone was chosen to be on the show because they have a sad hard-luck story. I want them to be there primarily for their talent at dancing.
    Last edited by pikachu; 06-12-2014 at 09:36 AM.
    inthegarden and MReid like this.
    Current Pools: Big Brother 17, Masterchef 6, So You Think You Can Dance 12
    Upcoming Pools: America's Got Talent 10, Face Off 9, Project Runway 14
    Yearbook Title, Spring 2015: The FORT's Amazing Spreadsheet Wizard & Avatar Artist

  2. #32
    FORT Fogey jadewarlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,448

    Re: 6/11 SYTYCD 11: Audition #3 **West Coast Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I am one of those that gets tired of emotional back stories. It seems like EVERYBODY has one now and it gets annoying. Maybe they should stick with dancing during the auditions and once they make it to the top 20, then they can start to focus on some of these back stories. I don't want it to seem like someone was chosen to be on the show because they have a sad hard-luck story. I want them to be there primarily for their talent at dancing.
    I agree here - that's been my beef with "American Ninja Warrior" too - it's just overused. They'd be better off focusing on the top 20's stories or only if they need to clarify a certain person's return, such as Jenna dancing with her partner for his try to be on the show, as we'd all know she's been there and can't compete again. That way we know she's not trying to compete to get to a higher finish or win.

  3. #33
    Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    31,723

    Re: 6/11 SYTYCD 11: Audition #3 **West Coast Spoilers**

    I am one of those that gets tired of emotional back stories. It seems like EVERYBODY has one now and it gets annoying. Maybe they should stick with dancing during the auditions and once they make it to the top 20, then they can start to focus on some of these back stories. I don't want it to seem like someone was chosen to be on the show because they have a sad hard-luck story. I want them to be there primarily for their talent at dancing.
    You are not alone AI is full of them, now this show and The Voice. I don't need to hear them, dance already!! or, in the case of AI - sing!
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

  4. #34
    O! My! Lanta! Arielflies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    With My Thoughts
    Posts
    22,978

    Re: 6/11 SYTYCD 11: Audition #3 **West Coast Spoilers**

    If she didn't have the story, she would still be my early favorite - Bridget - who danced to Que Sera, Sera.

    In the early promos they said there would be a lot of ballroom dancers put through and they were oh, so right, though they didn't really hit the stage until Los Angeles.

    Misty Copeland is a judge - wow.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

  5. #35
    Pineapple! ClosetRTWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Groovin' with my human boom box
    Posts
    4,810

    Re: 6/11 SYTYCD 11: Audition #3 **West Coast Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by sclilred1 View Post
    From the article:

    "During last-minute rehearsals, Malece Miller took a hard fall while working with her partner Armen Way. During an upside-down hold, he dropped her straight on her head. Malece was off to the hospital, with her future on the show in jeopardy."
    I was wondering if this was the guy that called himself "Armen Way". I recall last season they showed some videos of him doing dancing or singing or something. I found the vids rather sleazy and off-putting and thought he was egotistical. I might have thought he was okay this season if I hadn't remembered him from last season!!

  6. #36
    Yes we Did! - Twice!! Katydyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    In the playground in my mind
    Posts
    3,347

    Re: 6/11 SYTYCD 11: Audition #3 **West Coast Spoilers**

    I don't mind the emotional back stories at all - when it brings something to the dance itself. Dance is an art form, and the world is full of "tortured artists" - be it in music, literature, painting or dance. When the artist is able to convey the emotion, it transcends the medium and turns it into something truly beautiful. I don't wan to see pity points because of a sad back story, but I do want to be touched and feel an emotional connectedness with the piece. When an artist is able to tap into their own experiences to bring it - that only makes it more powerful.

    And, on a completely shallow note....OMG I damn near had to hose down my screen after Armen and Marlene danced. Hot, hot, hot!! Yowza!! I felt like I needed a cigarette when they were done...and I don't smoke
    Florimel likes this.
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata


    "I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

  7. #37
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,175

    Re: 6/11 SYTYCD 11: Audition #3 **West Coast Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    If she didn't have the story, she would still be my early favorite - Bridget - who danced to Que Sera, Sera.

    In the early promos they said there would be a lot of ballroom dancers put through and they were oh, so right, though they didn't really hit the stage until Los Angeles.

    Misty Copeland is a judge - wow.
    I thought Bridget was gorgeous. Back story or not, I mean this show hits that teen demo that eats this stuff up. Whats that movie out right now? The Fault in our Stars? It's got young ones hooked. Teens deal with emotional stories in a different way than say "mature" folk. SYTYCD is hitting that storyline so Bridget won't be lost in amongst all the beautiful brunette girls this season.

    Speaking of beautiful Armand and Marlene -hot! And incredibly beautiful precise ballroom dancers, their lines were so syncronized. I can't wait to see more of them. I thought those two made last season's way over rated Jenna and her prepubescent partner look clunky and so mis-matched by comparison.
    Last edited by EnglishCadbury; 06-12-2014 at 07:26 PM.

  8. #38
    FORT Fogey ilja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,997

    Re: 6/11 SYTYCD 11: Audition #3 **West Coast Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by EnglishCadbury View Post
    I thought Bridget was gorgeous. Back story or not, I mean this show hits that teen demo that eats this stuff up. Whats that movie out right now? The Fault in our Stars? It's got young ones hooked. Teens deal with emotional stories in a different way than say "mature" folk. SYTYCD is hitting that storyline so Bridget won't be lost in amongst all the beautiful brunette girls this season.

    Speaking of beautiful Armand and Marlene -hot! And incredibly beautiful precise ballroom dancers, their lines were so syncronized. I can't wait to see more of them. I thought those two made last season's way over rated Jenna and her prepubescent partner look clunky and so mis-matched by comparison.
    Good point about the teens and their angst!

    As for me, I love a good sob story every now and then. The problem is that once they throw in that one last sob-straw, my ability to care goes into the land of hilarity. Oh my goodness, so this one is dancing because in 7th grade Cissy Cheerleader didn't smile at her from across the lunchroom while she was eating corn-on-the-cob with the butter melting all over her. And because of that trauma, she's been trying to prove herself ever since else she would have ended it all on the bridge with Bobby McGee.
    Will you accept my Mirror-ball dancing Bachelor rose big bro as a MERICA Idol since we have such a connection?

  9. #39
    Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    31,723

    Re: 6/11 SYTYCD 11: Audition #3 **West Coast Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by ilja View Post
    Good point about the teens and their angst!

    As for me, I love a good sob story every now and then. The problem is that once they throw in that one last sob-straw, my ability to care goes into the land of hilarity. Oh my goodness, so this one is dancing because in 7th grade Cissy Cheerleader didn't smile at her from across the lunchroom while she was eating corn-on-the-cob with the butter melting all over her. And because of that trauma, she's been trying to prove herself ever since else she would have ended it all on the bridge with Bobby McGee.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

  10. #40
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,175

    Re: 6/11 SYTYCD 11: Audition #3 **West Coast Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by ilja View Post
    Good point about the teens and their angst!

    As for me, I love a good sob story every now and then. The problem is that once they throw in that one last sob-straw, my ability to care goes into the land of hilarity. Oh my goodness, so this one is dancing because in 7th grade Cissy Cheerleader didn't smile at her from across the lunchroom while she was eating corn-on-the-cob with the butter melting all over her. And because of that trauma, she's been trying to prove herself ever since else she would have ended it all on the bridge with Bobby McGee.
    Yeah, I know. and yet for me, I saw that Bridget felt she was dancing for her dad, and I think she danced well because of it. Every reality show loves to exploit sob stories because it means ratings. SYTYCD has a particular affection for doing it because it wins Emmys. Does Mary and company go too far in the blubbering department? of course they do, but this is the show that won an Emmy for a dance about dealing with Cancer,dealing with addiction, or dancing about real life broken relationships. It is what it is.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.