+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: SYTYCD 12: News

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

SYTYCD 12: News

So You Think You Can Dance Renewed for Season 12 — With a Twist!
    By Michael Slezak / November 17 2014, 3:00 PM PST

The Hot Tamale train is still chugging along — woooohooo!

Fox has renewed So You Think You Can Dance for Season 12 — but the show is getting a face lift, of sorts, before it returns in summer 2015.

The Emmy-nominated reality staple will pit stage dancers against street dancers for its upcoming installment, Fox announced today.

Here’s how producers are describing the new format: “Throughout the auditions, the dancers who advance will be placed into two teams – the stage dancers, featuring those trained in styles such as contemporary, ballet, jazz or tap; and the street dancers, hopefuls skilled in hip-hop, animation or breaking. As the auditions continue, the judges, along with each team’s All-Star Mentor, will eliminate dancers until only the Top 20 – 10 Street Dancers and 10 Stage Dancers – remain. When the competition goes ‘live,’ the Top 20 will be challenged weekly to perform a variety of styles, working with world-renowned choreographers. One dancer from each genre will be eliminated each week leading up to the Season Finale.

Who will win… a dancer from the stage or the street? Find out when So You Think You Can Dance returns in summer 2015.”

“So You Think You Can Dance is a rare jewel,” said Simon Andreae, Fox’s executive vice president for alternative entertainment, in announcing the renewal. “It combines high art with mass entertainment in a seamless, sophisticated and hugely satisfying way.” He added the network is hoping the new street-vs-stage twist will bring the show “up to date” and “introduce a whole new set of rooting opportunities.”

URL: ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ Renewed for Season 12: Steet Vs. Stage Twist | TVLine
    Current Pools: DWTS 20, Face Off 8, Survivor 30, The Amazing Race 26, The Voice 8
    Yearbook Title, Spring 2015: The FORT's Amazing Spreadsheet Wizard & Avatar Artist

Re: SYTYCD 12: News

Last night I went to the live SYTYCD performance in Ft Myers, FL. They announced during the show that SYTYCD was renewed for Season 12. Was there any doubt?

The live performance was entertaining as usual. There were 13 dancers... surprisingly, Tanisha was the one who really carried the show. She was featured more than half the routines and filled in for the all star females for the couples numbers, ie., she did Jasmine's part in the Egyptian snake dance routine with Emilio. Rudy had a big personality and his whole family was in the audience wearing black SYTYCD t-shirts. His dad's shirt said RUDY'S DAD really big on the back - his whole family was so proud & it was really sweet to see. Tanisha's technique seemed the strongest and Carly was amazing too - plus just drop-dead gorgeous. The other dancers present included Bridget, Emily, Casey, Ricky, Marquette, Jackie, Jessica, Teddy and Valerie. Disappointingly, Zack was not present.

Okay, I don't know how to put this but.... I've gone to the live performances the past few years now. This year's show was actually a little disappointing maybe due to the lack of diversity among the performers. Nobody this year was a showstopper at all or had the personality to get the crowd excited. Rudy was the most exciting live - playing to the crowd. Valerie, as runner-up and top female seemed one of the weakest dancers and really hardly appeared on the stage. She was in 3 couples performances and that was it. Otherwise she was in the background and she wasn't a standout performer at all. I sure hope they paid Tanisha 5x what they paid Valerie (I doubt it) because Tanisha was really working her butt off in at least 10-12 couples routines plus leading the way in the group numbers! Ricky, the winner, didn't stand out much. All in all, an odd group of finalists this time and a somewhat lackluster show compared to past shows.

Over the years, the most incredible to see at the live shows has been Cyrus. Also amazing to see live were Twitch, Jasmine, Chehon, Fik-Shun. Other stand-outs for me in the past have been Kathryn, Katee, Joshua, Chelsea, etc etc, so many. I guess what I am trying to say is that there was no WOW FACTOR this year. Pretty ho-hum group overall.

FORT Fogey

Agreed Corn. This whole season was very lackluster. I usually never tape the show, and this season that's all I did. I wasn't drawn to any of the dancers, and very few dances were noteworthy. I'm not surprised Tanisha carried the tour, as she was the most technically proficient female dancer on the show. She didn't have a big personality, but her dancing was phenomenal. Valerie was a head scratcher for me during the season, and it sounds like that continued with the tour. Ricky was good, and his win was deserved in this group. He probably would have only been top 6 in some prior seasons.

There was some doubt as to whether the show would be renewed since Fox usually announces it during the season. After this last uninteresting season, it wouldn't have surprised me to see it cancelled. I'm glad their bringing it back with the change-up. I enjoy both street and stage dance, so I'll be watching!
    Coco46 likes this.

FORT Fogey

Mary Murphy has been sent packing---option not renewed. Wow....that is a surprise

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much View Post
    Mary Murphy has been sent packing---option not renewed. Wow....that is a surprise
    Wow, really? Hmmm.
    Little Sew&Sew likes this.
    KAREN

‘SYTYCD': Judge Mary Murphy Not Returning For Season 12 | Variety

Mary Murphy Exiting ‘So You Think You Can Dance’

January 12, 2015 | 04:07PM PT

Elizabeth Wagmeister
    @EWagmeister

The hot tamale train has reached its final destination.

Judge Mary Murphy will not be returning to Fox’s “So You Think You Can Dance,” which is back with season 12 this summer, Variety has confirmed.

“Mary has been a huge part of ‘So You Think You Can Dance,’ from mentoring the dancers as a choreographer to inspiring fans as a judge. She will always be part of our ‘Dance’ family and we wish her continued success,” Fox, Dick Clark Productions and 19 Entertainment said in a statement.

No replacement judge has been chosen for Murphy’s spot yet.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Looks like those replacement judges have been chosen. Looking forward to being able to watch without having my finger poised above the mute button!

So You Think You Can Dance Adding Paula Abdul, Jason Derulo as Judges | TVLine
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Derek is the best!!! Fanny Mare's Avatar

I didnt care for Jason when he was a judge, I think they are looking for a younger audience.
    AmyKay likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

He'll probably be judging the hip-hop dancers. Remember they are getting really weird this year with dance categories.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Derek is the best!!! Fanny Mare's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    He'll probably be judging the hip-hop dancers. Remember they are getting really weird this year with dance categories.
    Yes, that's true Arielflies
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast