+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: SYTYCD Season 11 Spoilers: Don't read if you don't want to know!

FORT Fogey

SYTYCD Season 11 Spoilers: Don't read if you don't want to know!

This info has been released today by a contestant who auditioned and did not make it in Atlanta. His episode showed last night, and he feels free ( from certain stipulations in his contract) to share some things at this point.
    This guy has dance connections with several of the contestants, and he made connections with several others. As a result, he was able to find out as of today - and share - the following contestants who have made the cut to the final 20:

Rudy Abreu
    Marquet Hill
    Serge Onik
    Emilio Dosal
    Casey Askew
    Ricky Udeba

Tanisha Belnap
    Brooklyn
    Maylene (but not her partner who dropped Maleece last season)
    Carly Blaney
    Jessica Richens
    Emily James
    Bridget Whitman

That is not all of them, though. It seems that there are 6 ballroom, and at this point only 2 male hip-hop dancers.

There is only going to be one winner this season, and the viewing audience begins taking responsibility for who stays earlier - as in the final 10 or so.
    inthegarden likes this.
    If grace is an ocean, we're all drowning.

- John McMillan

Re: SYTYCD Season 11 Spoilers: Don't read if you don't want to know!

Yay for my early favorite from the third audition - Bridget! Keep it going, girl. Interesting that they aren't separating the sexes this year as far as In and Out, and with one winner rather than a male and female.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I liked it when a male and a female won. Dancing requirements are different for each sex and doesn't seem fair to judge them equally.
    I only have a kitchen because it came with the house.

FORT Fogey

It appears that notification of the top 20 this season happens either by phone call or visit rather than walking down a long hall and meeting in front of the panel for the yea or nay. That seems to be what the contact gathered was the procedure this time.
    He also said there were going to be some changes that he did not feel contractually at liberty to share. He thought they were possibly good and/or exciting, but the way they were worded, some on that board were a bit worried - so we have something to mull over.
    I do know that Nigel is sending out words to the effect that he wants all of us to encourage folks to watch the show; he is afraid otherwise that this will be the last season.

- John McMillan

I've been thinking the same thing for a while now. SYTYCD is such a fantastic show but it gets very little advertising. It may well be that a competition show that actually requires real talent is not viable in today's everything's about feelings society. Not that I haven't used the same criteria but still.
    Will you accept my dancing rose bro as a 'special powers' idol?

FORT Fogey

According to spoilers the dancers will be paired up with another in their style for the next round and we will vote on this.

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EnglishCadbury View Post
    According to spoilers the dancers will be paired up with another in their style for the next round and we will vote on this.
    How's that going to work for Emilio Dosal? There's no female in hip-hop. Unless they'll match two guys together Emilio and Teddy? Then Zack would be paired with Valerie? But same for Jacque LaWarne... there's no male for ballet, I guess they pair her with Jordan Epstein and have two girls? Then there's the situation with contemporary dancers... there are seven of them which is an uneven number for pairing... and Latin Ballroom having five of them which is again uneven for pairing Hmmm... not sure how the heck this is going to work if the next round is the dancers being paired up with someone in their same style.

Female Contestants
    Bridget Whitman 20 Phoenix, Arizona Contemporary
    Brooklyn Fullmer 18 Provo, Utah Latin Ballroom
    Carly Blaney 19 Wyckoff, New Jersey Contemporary
    Emily James 21 North Kingstown, Rhode Island Contemporary
    Jacque LaWarne 18 Clive, Iowa Ballet
    Jessica Richens 18 Yorba Linda, California Jazz
    Jourdan Epstein 24 Plymouth, Minnesota Ballet
    Malene Ostergaard 25 Los Angeles, California Latin Ballroom
    Tanisha Belnap 20 Payson, Utah Ballroom
    Valerie Rockey 20 Indianapolis, Indiana Tap

Male Contestants
    Casey Askew 19 Seattle, Washington Contemporary
    Emilio Dosal 23 Houston, Texas Hip-Hop / Popping
    Marcquet Hill 18 South Jordan, Utah Latin Ballroom
    Nick Garcia 18 Miami, Florida Latin Ballroom
    Ricky Ubeda 18 Miami, Florida Contemporary
    Rudy Abreu 19 Miami, Florida Contemporary
    Serge Onik 26 Upper Saddle River, New Jersey Latin Ballroom
    Stanley Glover 19 Chicago, Illinois Contemporary
    Teddy Coffey 19 Rochester, New York Hip-Hop / Tap
    Zack Everhart 20 Kennesaw, Georgia Tap

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

FORT Fogey

Here's what was posted along with the speculated choreographer: There will be 3 ballroom, 3 contemporary, 1 contemporary/jazz 1 tap
    1 hip hop, 1 ballet There are 6 ballroom dancers, Nick, Serge, Marcquet, Tanisha, Brooklyn and Malene, and there's Ricky Ubeda who is also ballroom trained but is contemporary for this show.

I am actually pretty stoked to see so many ballroom dancers make it. It's going to be great to finally see a showcase of really good ballroom, not contemporary dancers struggling with latin ballroom. Having said that, I am most excited to see Ricky and Jessica because those two are such strong dancers in contemporary/jazz. After that I think we'll be able to compare the best of the ballroom dancers.

*Serge & Brooklyn (Latin ballroom) Dmitry Chaplin (possibly Rumba)
    *Malene & Marcquet (Latin ballroom) - Louis Van Amstel (samba/cha cha cha)
    *Tanisha & Nick (Latin ballroom) - Louis Van Amstel (samba/cha cha cha)

*Valerie & Zack (tap) - Anthony Morigerato

*Teddy & Emilio (hip hop)

*Jourdan & Jacque (ballet)

*Ricky & Jessica (contemporary/jazz)

*Casey & Emily (contemporary) - Travis Wall
    *Stanley & Bridget (contemporary) - Bonnie Story
    *Rudy & Carly (contemporary) - Stacey Tookie
    Last edited by EnglishCadbury; 07-01-2014 at 09:38 AM.
    MReid likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by EnglishCadbury View Post
    Here's what was posted along with the speculated choreographer: There will be 3 ballroom, 3 contemporary, 1 contemporary/jazz 1 tap
    1 hip hop, 1 ballet There are 6 ballroom dancers, Nick, Serge, Marcquet, Tanisha, Brooklyn and Malene, and there's Ricky Ubeda who is also ballroom trained but is contemporary for this show.

I am actually pretty stoked to see so many ballroom dancers make it. It's going to be great to finally see a showcase of really good ballroom, not contemporary dancers struggling with latin ballroom. Having said that, I am most excited to see Ricky and Jessica because those two are such strong dancers in contemporary/jazz. After that I think we'll be able to compare the best of the ballroom dancers.

*Serge & Brooklyn (Latin ballroom) Dmitry Chaplin (possibly Rumba)
    *Malene & Marcquet (Latin ballroom) - Louis Van Amstel (samba/cha cha cha)
    *Tanisha & Nick (Latin ballroom) - Louis Van Amstel (samba/cha cha cha)

*Valerie & Zack (tap) - Anthony Morigerato

*Teddy & Emilio (hip hop)

*Jourdan & Jacque (ballet)

*Ricky & Jessica (contemporary/jazz)

*Casey & Emily (contemporary) - Travis Wall
    *Stanley & Bridget (contemporary) - Bonnie Story
    *Rudy & Carly (contemporary) - Stacey Tookie
    I have been really busy and could not visit and lurk (that sounds kind of furtive, doesn't it ) on the other (reality, I think) site with some dancers, but when I did, the chatter was big on Serge and Marquet both as dancers and as personality guys. Malene has that sexy thing going, and they dug up where she has been on European mag covers and all kinds of things. How that is going to help her on SYTYCD, I don't know. They all seem to recognize that Emilio comes in with a bit of an edge, considering he was at this place when he was knocked out last season by an accident.
    I can't even remember Teddy!

I got a big chuckle out of last week's show when Jessica flopped at hip hop and had to dance for her life. Somehow they had forgotten what an incredible jazz dancer she is. Even the rather staunched faced ballerina was saying, "Yes, yes, yes!" before she was even through with her routine. I think I am going to enjoy watching her, and unless her personality gets in the way, I think she may give some of the others a run for their money. She and Ricky together ought to be a stellar beginning. I kind of wish they had gotten Travis Wall.

- John McMillan

FORT Fogey

I think possibly that the ones who have styles that are not contemporary or ballroom pieces are going to stand out. So that means the Tappers, the Ballet dancers, the Hip Hoppers, and the Jazz may be the safer ones this week. They are all doing their own style so that is the plus.

I think it will be natural to want to compare the ballroom dancers with each other. I could definitely see them compare Malene Brooklyn and Tanisha and Serge, Marcquet and Nick - the weakest of the 3 could be on the bubble. Since I think Brooklyn is the weakest of the female ballroom dancers technically, pairing her with Serge doesn't necessarily help him, although I think Serge is the type who can showcase well. I don't think Marcquet has the technique of Nick or Serge, but because it's not that common to see a black ballroom dancer with dreadlocks he might be the type of 'edgy' look the show wants. I hope Malene doesn't fall into the "older Russian dancer" trap. It seems on this show they don't vote for older females. Tanisha has lots of contemporary in her ballroom dancing, which should help her, but I didn't get the connection from her that I did from others.

I do think Ricky and Jessica will stand out. I am interested to see how this partnership will work since they are outstanding soloists. I watched Jessica back on the Hip Hop, and she was fairly credible. Malene, who got through wasn't nearly as good. She danced hip hop like many ballroom dancers, poorly. My thought is they got Jessica to dance for her life as they wanted an excuse for someone really good to do a solo again. It helps for the "story"

I think the others who have Contemporary will have to really make a statement because they will be compared against each other like the ballroom dancers.
    Last edited by EnglishCadbury; 07-02-2014 at 07:32 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast