+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: 6/11 SYTYCD 11: Audition #3 **West Coast Spoilers**

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

Re: 6/11 SYTYCD 11: Audition #3 **West Coast Spoilers**

It also seems like every guest judge in their little speech to the hopefuls stresses that emotion needs to be shown in the dance. It is like in the singing competitions, if your face doesn't reflect the lyrics, you are called a robot and don't win the show.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I think most of them tape their sob stories, and they are ready to dance, with or without them, like their lives depended on it. To some extent their lives do, this show could change them.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

They tape the story, sure, but Bridget also spoke about it at the audition and I'm sure those were real tears in speaking lovingly about her Dad her biggest fan. If I were 19 and in an audition and asked about it I'm not sure I could have held it together as well as she did. I thought she effectively used her emotion to make a strong statement in her dancing. I remember her because of it.

Now Marlene the Ballroom dancer who quit because of an abusive partner?? I wasn't as sold on that because it was clearly meant to rehabilitate Armand as the knight in shining armour, not the guy who drops a partner. Strict Ballroom dancers aren't used to lifts, they dance classic latin ballroom and maybe have some ballet. It would have been interesting if they threw a lift in, but I suspect they aren't as comfortable doing that at this stage. They aren't necessarily cross trained in jazz or contemporary like the Americans out of Utah.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by EnglishCadbury View Post
    Yeah, I know. and yet for me, I saw that Bridget felt she was dancing for her dad, and I think she danced well because of it. Every reality show loves to exploit sob stories because it means ratings. SYTYCD has a particular affection for doing it because it wins Emmys. Does Mary and company go too far in the blubbering department? of course they do, but this is the show that won an Emmy for a dance about dealing with Cancer,dealing with addiction, or dancing about real life broken relationships. It is what it is.
    I am thinking that the immediate surrounding vibe is more emotionally intense for the audience and judges than it is for those who are watching the sob stories from the perspective of their TV sets. Also, those who have lost an immediate family member to that particular crisis - cancer, addiction, etc. - identify and react perhaps more closely or differently than those who have not.
    Personal experience might color the perspective from which we view situations. That is one possible explanation. Another might be that some people don't want to be constantly reminded of the harder things in life but would rather simply be entertained by the dancing.
    People are different.
    Take my advice. I am not using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers View Post
    I am thinking that the immediate surrounding vibe is more emotionally intense for the audience and judges than it is for those who are watching the sob stories from the perspective of their TV sets. Also, those who have lost an immediate family member to that particular crisis - cancer, addiction, etc. - identify and react perhaps more closely or differently than those who have not.
    Personal experience might color the perspective from which we view situations. That is one possible explanation. Another might be that some people don't want to be constantly reminded of the harder things in life but would rather simply be entertained by the dancing.
    People are different.
    People are different, but I can also relate to what seems like an onslaught of over the top emotional experiences in a couple of hours of television. The producers know this too. They really don't care if its over done because it plays fairly well with the demographic. Nigel Lithgow is really a crusty unemotional stiff upper lip Brit and so his personal feelings aside he lets the drama happen because that's what the demo wants to see. I personally am relieved when Nigel brings his no nonsense sensibility into play. Kids like Bridget dry their tears and get on with it after listening to him. If we had to listen to Mary or Christina Applegate drone on and on about the "feels" Bridget would be in a puddle and I'd turn the channel. There's really only so much you can take when the show is contrived to elicit the emotion from you. Rather, I prefer that we let the dancing do the talking, and I think Bridget did that very well even with the blubberfest. But backstories are all about reeling people in. The demo now think they "know" these performers because of a little self-disclosure. Look how many fell into the Meryl loves Maks junk on dwts? It happens over and over every season. All this scripted nonsense gets tiresome and the producers must think it's fun to dupe the audience to keep pushing it.

FORT Fogey

Although a lot of it is scripted, the idea behind Reality TV is that it is either based on some aspect of real life, or it plays up or focuses on elements in real life. That said, we get the good, the bad, and the ugly and how much of it depends at times on which show we are watching.

While shows like the Bachelor give us sometimes bizarre behavior that leaves us shaking our heads, some of the auditions for American Idol are so lacking that we are left trying to figure out whether the contestant truly thought he/she could sing. Both programs are trying to show us that there are people in real life who go on these shows believing they belong there.
    In So You Think You Can Dance, we get the raw side of life in Reality TV as we hear the sometimes incredibly sad stories, and we see through their dance how they have processed their hurt.

Because the contestants are of a certain age (young), the stories do naturally play to that demographic; however, I tend to think that the emotional stories in SYTYCD are part and parcel of the Reality TV theme.
    My daughter brought up a good point, though, when she noted to me that the stories only go so far....after a certain point, we will forget all of the background and get down to the nitty-gritty of the dancing when they start really competing.

All of the stories are part of the "getting to know you," and the build up. I think it is kind of nice to know a little something about them before they compete for votes ( and our yeas and nays on here). It makes the discussion more interesting.
    sparklete likes this.
    Take my advice. I am not using it.

My daughter brought up a good point, though, when she noted to me that the stories only go so far....after a certain point, we will forget all of the background and get down to the nitty-gritty of the dancing when they start really competing
    She is right, smart girl
    Mreid1472 likes this.
    -Andy Rooney-

I so agree As good as this season has been the sob stories are not gonna cut it! Everyone is really good this year i have like 15 favorites

Quote Originally Posted by Mreid1472 View Post
    I so agree As good as this season has been the sob stories are not gonna cut it! Everyone is really good this year i have like 15 favorites
    I have 25 faves, I guess I must cut some. good for you to have 15!!!
    Mreid1472 likes this.
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345