+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: 6/4 SYTYCD 11: Audition #2 **West Coast Spoilers**

FORT Fogey

Re: 6/4 SYTYCD 11: Audition #2 **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers View Post
    Truthfully, I read everyone's comments several days before I had the chance to watch the recorded show, and frankly (though I was embarrassed to admit it) I really didn't know what "poppin" meant as I read the comments. Of course, it was clear almost immediately.

This may not be a popular sentiment, and if so, I will stand alone. While I enjoy those type genres, and I do acknowledge there has to be an ability and a gift to be able to perform those kinds of dances well, I simply do not view them in the same way as I view the more conventional kinds of dancing - and that includes contemporary because it is obvious that contemporary dancers have usually had years of background dance training much of which is rigorous and often downright grueling.

I loved watching Fik-shun. He was personality on a stick. He had stage presence that simply oozed out, and he danced the other genres very well, considering.....I couldn't argue too much when he won.

That said, I just don't want to see the standard become the alternative types of dance win the day - I just don't want to see them beat out someone who has slaved to win. I won't gripe and carry on, though,

I agree with you, I think the producers are pushing the female as hip hop popper, because the guys have been fairly predominant in this area. I'm not against that, but I do hope she surprises me in a good way in other styles, because the guys, especially b-boys in other styles can be painful to watch. The problem for hip hop poppin girls is they don't have the luxury to be fork lifts or potted plants in other genres, I mean guys like Jose basically did nothing in Ballroom or partnering at all and they still got to top 5. To win this show I think a dancer has to at least be competent in 2 or 3 styles.

I loved Fik-shun, but he was a work in progress in other styles and actually surprised me in a good way in Jazz. His partner Amy for me was outstanding in Contemporary Jazz and hip hop, so Amy was my winner.
    Last edited by EnglishCadbury; 06-09-2014 at 11:12 PM.
    Florimel, teatime and Coco46 like this.

FORT Regular

This may not be a popular sentiment, and if so, I will stand alone. While I enjoy those type genres, and I do acknowledge there has to be an ability and a gift to be able to perform those kinds of dances well, I simply do not view them in the same way as I view the more conventional kinds of dancing - and that includes contemporary because it is obvious that contemporary dancers have usually had years of background dance training much of which is rigorous and often downright grueling.
    It seems every year they include more hip hop routines and protect the hip hop dancers by giving them a disportionate number of routines in their genre. To me hip hop is to dance as rap is to singing. While some rappers may be good singers you don't have to sing on key or carry a tune to rap. A good singer I believe could learn to be a passable rapper. So too some hip hoppers may be able to become good dancers but not all can while good dancers will be able to learn decent hip hop routines more easily.

I find this dumbing down of the show, the latest being using Justin Bieber, to be very disappointing and I don't watch the show as often as I used to.
    Florimel and Coco46 like this.

I enjoy Fik Shun , I really do .I was just so surprised that he could dance like he did, and was an excellent partner to Amy. Nobody makes me smile like he does.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I am just now getting to watch this... 30 minutes in and I already now one person who is should make it really far... Jordan. She did the solo on pointe, and has the brother who survived his addiction. Wow - she was utterly amazing.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456