+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: 7/23 SYTYCD 10: Top 16 Performance/Results

FORT Fogey

Re: 7/23 SYTYCD 10: Top 16 Performance/Results

The connections were not consistently smooth in Nico and Alexis's jive; however, considering she is a tap dancer, and he is a contemporary dancer, they still did pretty well on a jive full of some of the most difficult tricks I've ever seen. Also, I thought their choreographers could have selected better jive music.

Tucker and Jenna's marionette piece was beautiful. Although I've realized that Jenna is a tremendous dancer, for me there has been something just a little off with her "airs", for a lack of a better word. However, tonight was different. Clearly, Jenna was emotional after that performance. She wasn't putting on any "airs" tonight, and I really liked her as well as her performance. Tucker, I have always liked and admired.

The piece that was given to Blue Print and Mariah was powerful, but I'm afraid they maybe just weren't the right couple for that choreography. He just didn't have the background set of skills, and as good as she is in her field, Mariah needed to be faster, lighter, and probably a little more airy to pull all that off, especially at the end ( when Nigel called it "clunky"). However, the two of them looked great in those costumes!

Maleece is simply a good all around dancer, and she like Amy is probably going to be able to pull off choreography fairly well in whatever genre is assigned to her. Alan is a fantastic ballroom dancer, and he has done well up until tonight. They might surprise me, but they just seem to be an odd match-up.

I thought the ladder dance with Haley and Curtis was strange. They danced it well, but I just didn't quite get what the deal with the ladder was supposed to be.

Amy and Fiction just seem to be good no matter what they do. Fiction probably isn't equally matched with her because he has not had the training she has, but to watch them together, it is easy to forget that fact. Their chemistry is undeniable, they are so cute and personable, and they are given good if not great choreographies. That said, I agree that Nigel went overboard tonight on the praise. Their hip-hop was really good, but it wasn't that fabulous.

Speaking of hip-hops....how many were there tonight? It seemed like they were a bit top heavy on hip-hops. Paul and Makenzie also did a hip-hop. It was very interesting if a bit suggestive with that outfit and some of those moves. I was having a hard time focusing on the dance for the distraction of the outfit.

Jasmine and Aaron were the perfect couple to pull off that quick step which I thought they did beautifully. I really like this couple.
    Jezebella likes this.
    If grace is an ocean, we're all drowning.

- John McMillan

I said in another thread that I don't like it that the judges get to watch the dress rehersals because you can't 'get back' that initial feeling of seeing a routine for the first time. I realize Nigel is the executive producer, so maybe he has to, but I feel if a judge knows what to expect or that "they did it better in rehersal" or "it's much better than rehersal" it's kind of not really a fair thing to judge when the rest of us are seeing it and judging it for the first time. I believe Nigel let Jenna go and not "dance for her life" (I HATE that term!) because he knew her routine coming up would be a crowd pleaser an she was very good in it and there was no way he was sending her home. I'd like to think the dances we saw tonight factored into the decision, but I'm sure they really didn't. They maybe "solidified their decsion (as Nigel said)", but their minds were already made up and their Goodbye Montage cued up. The only reason they moved the elimination to the end was because it really put a downer on the entire show by doing it at the beginning.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Maybaybie View Post
    I said in another thread that I don't like it that the judges get to watch the dress rehersals because you can't 'get back' that initial feeling of seeing a routine for the first time. I realize Nigel is the executive producer, so maybe he has to, but I feel if a judge knows what to expect or that "they did it better in rehersal" or "it's much better than rehersal" it's kind of not really a fair thing to judge when the rest of us are seeing it and judging it for the first time. I believe Nigel let Jenna go and not "dance for her life" (I HATE that term!) because he knew her routine coming up would be a crowd pleaser an she was very good in it and there was no way he was sending her home. I'd like to think the dances we saw tonight factored into the decision, but I'm sure they really didn't. They maybe "solidified their decsion (as Nigel said)", but their minds were already made up and their Goodbye Montage cued up. The only reason they moved the elimination to the end was because it really put a downer on the entire show by doing it at the beginning.
    I started out the Top 20 not really being able to keep everyone straight, but I had a couple of definite things in mind. One of them was that Nigel was very high on 2 girl dancers with the "en" sound in their names. I could remember Nigel in Vegas praising the "beautiful feet, body, and dance" of one of them and the "wonderful technique" of the other. I figured I would recognize these two "en" dancers when I saw them. They were Jenna and Makenzie. What that told me, and it panned out, was that those two girls weren't going anywhere as long as Nigel could help it. I knew immediately that Mariah was going home tonight.
    Now, Makenzie and Jenna have both been in the bottom 3 twice, so eventually Nigel isn't going to be able to save one or the other. That is going to be interesting to watch - sad, but interesting. Both girls are excellent dancers, but there is some definite producer maneuvering going on, I think.

- John McMillan

FORT Fogey

I have my top 10 after tonight: Fikshun, Aaron, Curtis, Alan, Nico, Jasmine, Amy, Hayley, Jenna, Malece. The quickstep was fabulous, and completely owned by Aaron & Jasmine. Nice to see Dave Scott's choreography. Tyce is either hot or cold, and tonight he was hot!

Agreed with the eliminations

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by SpringMaiden27 View Post
    I have my top 10 after tonight: Fikshun, Aaron, Curtis, Alan, Nico, Jasmine, Amy, Hayley, Jenna, Malece. The quickstep was fabulous, and completely owned by Aaron & Jasmine. Nice to see Dave Scott's choreography. Tyce is either hot or cold, and tonight he was hot!

Agreed with the eliminations
    I really personally like Curtis....he always has a smile on his face, but I get the feeling that, unfortunately, Curtis may go even next week. Nigel has been riding him hard about his shoulders. Unfortunately, Alan who was in the bottom 3 last night did not have a strong showing in his hip hop routine with Maleece, so we might well see him again in the bottom 3 as well. Can he hold out until the top 10? I think Alan is a strong ballroom dancer. If it comes down between Jenna and Makenzie for the save, it will be interesting to me to see which way Nigel goes.

- John McMillan

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers View Post
    I really personally like Curtis....he always has a smile on his face, but I get the feeling that, unfortunately, Curtis may go even next week. Nigel has been riding him hard about his shoulders. Unfortunately, Alan who was in the bottom 3 last night did not have a strong showing in his hip hop routine with Maleece, so we might well see him again in the bottom 3 as well. Can he hold out until the top 10? I think Alan is a strong ballroom dancer. If it comes down between Jenna and Makenzie for the save, it will be interesting to me to see which way Nigel goes.
    It'll certainly be interesting to see what happens over the next few weeks. My faves hardly ever lineup with the show's faves I've been pleasantly surprised by Curtis, and we need a strong ballroom guy in the mix so I'd like to see Alan remain. I think if either Jenna or Makenzie make top 10, they'll be first eliminated. Both are gorgeous dancers, but aren't connecting with audience for some reason. Either way we get top notch dancing for the rest of the summer!

Oh Nigel, what will you do when Makenzie and Jenna are at the botton again and you can only save one? That will be very interesting to see. Makenzie is a triple threat. She has a great voice.
    What's the Great Conjunction? You tell me!

Just now watching, was busy last night. I loved the opening number. I think I would prefer the bottom three reveal and elimination all done at the end of the show. Also, let's get rid of the solos because they are not fooling anybody into thinking that they matter.

1st dance (Nico/Alexis) - left zero impression other than it was a clunky mess. I don't think they should have had lifts in it, it was just too much.

2nd dance (Tucker/Jenna) - all I could focus on was those bright red straps. I don't think the dance should have been all about the props, Travis. I had to watch it twice because I missed the entire dance due to being distracted by the red straps. Jenna is a really good dancer, I wish she was connecting more with the voting audience.

3rd dance (BluePrint/Mariah)- What the heck are they wearing? Again, stop with the nonsense props/costumes that make us focus on them and not the dancing. Oh wait....I get it now, lol. I really did not like all the grinding they were doing on stage and why does her costume look like she's having a wardrobe malfunction?

4th dance (Malece/Alan) - Wow, I love the costuming on Malece! Not so much on Alan, what is up with those pants? Poor guy but he looks handsome and they actually made the poof look good on his head. So this was lyrical hip hop? I actually liked this routine better than the one by Mariah/BluePrint. I didn't think Alan was that bad and I thought Malece was too soft. However, she's starting to grow on me. I may wind up liking her.

5th dance (Hayley/Curtis) - *double takes* wait, Curtis is 6'1? What?!?!? But he looks so short! How does somebody dance short? I thought he was the size of Malece! Oh yay, another prop dance. I'm glad they got off the prop and started dancing. I didn't really like it.

6th dance (Amy/Fikshun) - Oh this is cute, this is truly one of the power couples. I really liked this routine. My favorite so far and I hate to say that given who choreographed it.

7th dance (Makenzie/Paul) - Another hip hop? Really? Paul and Makenzie are an insanely gorgeous couple. My word, they are bringing the pretty. This routine is a hot mess. It's not their fault. What made the choreographer think that this music, dance style, and costuming went together? What a ridiculous mess.

8th dance (Aaron/Jasmine) - Hmmm.....I don't know about this one. Jasmine is a gorgeous!! I a woman sort of way instead of a little girl like the others. There were parts of this dance that were amazing but I saw a bunch of stumbles in the beginning. I think her dress was causing them trouble. There was also something off in one of their holds like they grabbed each other wrong or something. However, I liked it in spite of the issues. I think they really went for it.

What I liked about the show - learning more about the dancers. Malece, Jenna, Amy, Fik-shun really stood out in my mind. That I can fast forward past all the judges comments. The show is so much more enjoyable without listening to them. I'm glad I am watching this the second day.

What I didn't like - some singer with zero dance connection at the judges table, seriously? But at least I was able to fast forward through her and the other judges. I hated the props.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Maybaybie View Post
    It's my belief that the reason he saved Jenna and not one of the men is that an injury last week caused one of the men to have to leave the show. None of the guys had to "dance for their lives," so all three of them did this week.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I cant think of one reason she should be there
    Good publicist.
    If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. - St. Francis of Assisi

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast