+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: 7/2 SYTYCD 10 Top 20 Performance/Results **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 7/2 SYTYCD 10 Top 20 Performance/Results **West Coast Spoilers**

The early eliminations didn't really bother me, but I don't have a lot of emotion invested in any of these dancers yet, and don't have any favorites. Like most people, I thought some of the routines were completely inappropriate for this show. I wasn't blown away by any of the routines, although there were a few that were entertaining.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

Two years ago Mark (DWTS) got crickets on his choreo, last night Dmitri got crickets on his. It should have been an outstanding Cha Cha, but blewy. Even Nigel, while not naming names, said it should have been more DWTS. I guess the moral is, if you are from DWTS, you better represent.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I didn't mind the sexual nature of those dances; I never do. Dance has always had that type of choreography and, if well done, it doesn't bother me at all. Some examples: All That Jazz, Chicago, Dirty Dancing most Latin ballroom, and a lot of ballet and modern dance. The problem I had with some of those dances was the missing techniques that I want to see along with it.

I don't even mind the early eliminations. Professional dancers need to become accustomed to that. Dancers who learn that they won't be invited back to a company still have to perform at a high level during the current season. It's the nature of the business. I do think the wrong two were eliminated.

I did not like the Bollywood number; there wasn't a whole lot of Bollywood content If it were for the costumes, I wouldn't have recognized it as that genre. I haven't yet liked Blu-Print's dancing or Jade's. Fik-Shun is the only male hip-hopper whom I find very talented across genres. I can see him in the final four if he keeps going as he has been. I'm also liking Curtis a lot and wished I picked him for my pool. Harder to pick from among the girls. There are a lot of very talented girls and it'll be interesting to see how and if they grow.
    Coco46, Fanny Mare and sparklete like this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I think Carlos did . They know they have to dance well if their partner isn't going home- he did very well
    Carlos actually danced for his life. I don't know why Nigel lumped him with the others. Probably because they already decided who they were eliminating days in advance. Which brings us to the question.....why even bother to have them dance for their lives? What is the point? I would prefer that the judges and choreographers have no idea who are in the bottom 3 until they are announced live. It puts the judges on the edge and decide for a few minutes along with choreographers backstage. Its a lot better that way.
    Cornholio likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    Two years ago Mark (DWTS) got crickets on his choreo, last night Dmitri got crickets on his. It should have been an outstanding Cha Cha, but blewy. Even Nigel, while not naming names, said it should have been more DWTS. I guess the moral is, if you are from DWTS, you better represent.
    They should have Derek, no crickets for that guy
    Photobabe likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    They should have Derek, no crickets for that guy
    I interpreted the criticism to mean that Nigel wanted more actual pure Cha-Cha steps ( content) in the routine to represent the genre as you as would see on Dancing With the Stars which although recently is including more and more genres is largely based on ballroom. Since Dimitry is - or has been - one of Dancing With the Stars's pros, Nigel knows that Dimitry would connect with the remark.

As to Derek....I have always felt that he is an immensely gifted, creative choregrapher - in fact, I have often said that I feel that Derek is the best choreographer among the DWTS pros as well as a fantastic dancer. However, he has been soundly rebuked by the head judge on DWTS for to me what is in essence being too creative ( which I absolutely loved) and straying ( as the judge felt) too far from the pure content of the assigned genre. If Derek got figuratively slapped upside the head on DWTS when in my opinion he did have genre steps and content, then I can only imagine what he would come up with SYTYCD and what Nigel would say to him if he were not told ahead of time that he had to stick fairly close to the ballroom pattern of things.
    inthegarden and Photobabe like this.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers View Post
    I interpreted the criticism to mean that Nigel wanted more actual pure Cha-Cha steps ( content) in the routine to represent the genre as you as would see on Dancing With the Stars which although recently is including more and more genres is largely based on ballroom. Since Dimitry is - or has been - one of Dancing With the Stars's pros, Nigel knows that Dimitry would connect with the remark.

As to Derek....I have always felt that he is an immensely gifted, creative choregrapher - in fact, I have often said that I feel that Derek is the best choreographer among the DWTS pros as well as a fantastic dancer. However, he has been soundly rebuked by the head judge on DWTS for to me what is in essence being too creative ( which I absolutely loved) and straying ( as the judge felt) too far from the pure content of the assigned genre. If Derek got figuratively slapped upside the head on DWTS when in my opinion he did have genre steps and content, then I can only imagine what he would come up with SYTYCD and what Nigel would say to him if he were not told ahead of time that he had to stick fairly close to the ballroom pattern of things.
    I just saw Kellies new video with him - omg! it is over the moon wonderful. He would do so well on SYTYCD
    -Andy Rooney-

I really hate that the judges watch the dress rehersals and then we often hear them say "After dress rehersal I thought you were doomed out there, but it was fabulous!!" and they get a good critique. I wish they watched it for the fist time as the audience does. I think if you know what's going to happen, you can't relive that reaction for a second time. Sort-of like the old saying "you don't get a second chance to make a first impression'. I also think that the judges take these rehersals into account when making their decisions about whose going home and that's why they don't need to see them dance that night. I really think it clouds their judgement.

I also hated this eliminatinon format too. Total downer at the start of the show. They used to have a results show and drag it out for 56 minutes,...now we're lucky if it's more than 6 minutes into the show. Way to rip that band-aid off, Nigel!

I never liked the result shows. This one- AI, DWTS way way too long . I will get use to this I suspect
    -Andy Rooney-

I have always hated the results shows. But, I don't like the results being shown at the beginning. I wish they would put it at the end. They could announce the bottom 6 at the beginning but hold the elimination until the end. That way, instead of "dance for your life" each performance could easily be "dance for your life" for those 6.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

+ Reply to Thread