+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: 6/18 SYTYCD 10: The Green Mile and the Top 20 Perform

FORT Fogey

Re: 6/18 SYTYCD 10: The Green Mile and the Top 20 Perform

For the life of me, though, I can't see the point of bringing those 13 back to sit in that room to agonize and then get cut. I think the less heartless thing to do would have been to cut them at the end of Vegas week. The panel knew then basically who the 20 were, I believe.
    If grace is an ocean, we're all drowning.

- John McMillan

So, no ballet this year. I guess Chenon set the bar too high.

Three tappers, three hip hop, two animators, four ballroom and the remaining contemporary. A very interesting mix as the choreographers commented during the show.

Even without ballet, I think this will be a very enjoyable season. How often will we see the crossed-arm "10"?
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I think this season is really tough as to who is going to be really good, outside of their own genre.
    NCLurker likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Marlena_M View Post
    By far my favorite number of the night was the men's group dance. Christopher Scott choreographed one helluva great piece and the sand was so uniquely creative. Loved every moment of it!
    It was excellent, I agree. I didn't like the last group dance. Sonya runs hot and cold for me.At least she isn't as dark as she once was.
    ilja likes this.
    -Andy Rooney-

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    It was excellent, I agree. I didn't like the last group dance. Sonya runs hot and cold for me.At least she isn't as dark as she once was.
    Yanno, FM, I kinda agree with this. I mean, when she's on... SONYA IS ON!!!! But when I feel she misses the mark, well, to me she's waaaaaay off. There is absolutely no denying Sonya's seeeeeeeeeeeriously talented

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlena_M View Post
    Yanno, FM, I kinda agree with this. I mean, when she's on... SONYA IS ON!!!! But when I feel she misses the mark, well, to me she's waaaaaay off. There is absolutely no denying Sonya's seeeeeeeeeeeriously talented
    She is talented. I happen to love Mia , I have forever. I enjoy Stacey Tookey as well. They have some fine choreographers on this show, I just don't need them to have all the limelight, or maybe I should say- too much of it.
    Coco46 and ilja like this.
    -Andy Rooney-

I didn't watch the auditions. I've grown annoyed at the way this show has in the past either shown people who don't make it on the show or only show those they want to win. I wanted to go into the performance shows not knowing any of them or their sob stories.

So, overall I was a bit underwhelmed last night.

I did really like that first duo. The girl is good and I'm looking forward to seeing more from her.

The contempo are a big blur of spinning. The one Nigel called "beast" was nothing special. I was surprised he was complimenting her feet. All I heard was SICKLE FEET (thanks Abby Lee Miller and Dance Moms for teaching me to look for that).

The tappers caught my attention, I'm looking forward to seeing them grow.

I thought they should have put both ballroom brothers on and left the jive dancer at home. I wasn't all that impressed with the female ballroom dancers. We've had better on this show.

Looking forward to next week to see how this "invest" pays out.
    SpringMaiden27 likes this.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    So, no ballet this year. I guess Chenon set the bar too high.

Three tappers, three hip hop, two animators, four ballroom and the remaining contemporary. A very interesting mix as the choreographers commented during the show.

Even without ballet, I think this will be a very enjoyable season. How often will we see the crossed-arm "10"?
    That or because last year's winner was an excellent ballerina and she could also dance just about everything excellently.

I personally liked the three tappers - now their goal is to stay on the show longer than 2-3 weeks.

As far as the crossed arm "X" (ten) - that doesn't bother me too much - at least they are showing they have a (basic at least) understanding of Roman numerals.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers View Post
    For the life of me, though, I can't see the point of bringing those 13 back to sit in that room to agonize and then get cut. I think the less heartless thing to do would have been to cut them at the end of Vegas week. The panel knew then basically who the 20 were, I believe.
    For the drama, of course.
    If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. - St. Francis of Assisi

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    For the drama, of course.
    Man, though, I have to question the value even of the dramatic worth when I weigh how little air time they spent on that segment compared to the emotional toil it clearly took on all of them, including the judges. I know they edited the show around the cuts, but they have clever enough editors who could have come up with another scheme.

I just am not a fan of un-necessarily ripping the heart out of bonafide, gifted candidates in which there just might not be a spot. Now some of those folks who auditions on AI are a different matter....
    If grace is an ocean, we're all drowning.

- John McMillan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast