+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: 9/11 Show Discusson Thread *Spoilers*

Re: 9/11 Show Discusson Thread *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post
    Ok, I'm confused about something...the ballet routine: They brought a choreographer in but then Nigel said "that's from the Nutcracker, right". So did the choreo guy actually choreo a new number to a Nutcracker song or did he just teach them a routine from the Nutcracker? I know you guys loved it, but it fell really flat for me. Chehon didn't do much dancing during and Eliana's moves were repetitive. The technique looked amazing as far as my untrained eye could tell, but it didn't excite me.
    Unless my memory is really bad (and that's totally possible, since it's been years since I saw Nutcracker), that's not the original choreography. Frankly, I thought Chehon totally got shortchanged there. IMO, if they wanted them to do classical ballet, there are plenty of great pas de deux they could have used that are much better for the man - meaning it's not all about him being the stem and her being the flower - and I don't think they needed to have someone do new choreography. I don't think they'll get anyone nearly as good as Ballachine or Petipa or some of the other all-time greats, so why try?

I doubt I'll watch the results show. I'm sure Cyrus will win even though he doesn't deserve it. Chehon is far and away the better dancer. The fact that Cyrus made it this far is an embarrassment. I'm an optimist, so I'll be back next season, but I just can't watch the finale if the far inferior dancer is going to win. I only hope that, if Cyrus wins, it will cause the producers to overhaul how the dancers are chosen and how voting is handled. I'm glad there are two winners this season. That means at least one winner will deserve it.

I've haven't had much of an opinion about Tiffany. She's hasn't really stood out for me. I'm a proud ballet snob, so I've been rooting for Eliana from the beginning, although I won't be so upset if Tiffany wins. She's a very good dancer. I just think Eliana is better. I'm always looking at technique and Eliana's is incredible. Chehon was among my favorite guys this season. I've enjoyed seeing him improve and grow as he got used to different styles.

The best routines of the night for me were Chehon-Allison and Eliana-Alex. Just incredible. I still feel cheated that we didn't get a full season of Alex.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Frankly, I thought Chehon totally got shortchanged there.
    Oh, I agree. Absolutely. I think that's why it fell so flat for me....she was dancing, him, not so much, and I realize that wasnt' his fault. I've seen him do a solo and he's capable of so much more than they gave him.

I really liked the pole dance with the girls, too. I thought it was cute and sexy without being gross and sleazy. Nigel's reaction was inappropriate, as always.

ETA: I don't want Cyrus to win. Like the kid, but ...no. Besides, you know he'll have a part in the next Step Up movie and he'll get work.
    BuckeyeAddict and Photobabe like this.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    Actually, I felt the same way about it, JavaJo. Chehon was mostly standing in place and Eliana did the same rotation like 5 times in a row. It was very pretty but boring. It's hard for me to judge ballet because although I'm sure it's very difficult, when they're doing it right it looks deceptively easy. I was hoping for a more challenging ballet routine for those two. Something that would take my breath away. I didn't get that.
    I dont know how much more challenging they could get.First there is limited time to dance. Her on point for that long is far from easy, but it goes to show how good she is, to make it look that way.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Well, I certainly think it looks more challenging when ballet dancers leap really high, whirl quickly around the stage, or do something that looks technically difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I still feel cheated that we didn't get a full season of Alex.
    I agree. I was devastated that an injury took him out at the height of his season (following his amazing routine with Twitch) and hoped to see him return the following season. Instead, he had another injury that kept him out that season as well. I kept hoping each season he would be back to finish what he started but I doubt he will now. He's already been dubbed an all-star and I'm sure that he's fielding more than enough dance offers. I feel that we got cheated out of seeing him win SYTYCD. Surely he would have won his season if he had been able to stay in the competition.

Maybe SYTYCD should do like colleges and give Alex an honorary title, like colleges give honorary degrees to celebrities who become experts in their field without college education.
    Last edited by pikachu; 09-12-2012 at 03:04 PM.
    Jezebella and mesachick like this.

I love Alex, but for me this was about new dancers. I sometimes wish we didn't have AS on the stage, because it so easy to compare.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I just remembered something I wanted to mention about Eliana and Cyrus's paso. The choreographer said that this time they were going to reverse the roles and have Eliana be the matador while Cyrus was the cape. Well, he didn't seem to remember that all through the routine. Maybe Eliana was the matador in the first 5 seconds of the routine but she quickly became the kept being swept around the floor, as usual. I was disappointed because I expected to see something different from this paso.

Paso doble is a really hard dance to pull off. If it's done too timidly, it can come across as weak. If it's done with too much exaggerated aggression, it can come across as theatrical and cartoonish. It takes quickness, precision and strength to execute it properly. It's not the kind of dance where both partners are doing the same thing and have to keep up with each other. It's more of a yin-yang effect. Each partner has their role to perform and when they come together, they make a complete picture.

It's a really exciting dance when it's performed well.

I only had a few lessons in paso doble when I was taking ballroom dance lessons so I didn't get to learn any of the neat stuff. We were pretty much only doing marching and body posturing.

To the Point

I too was disappointed in the ballet. I am not a dancer, but have been told I have a good eye in regards to technique. I do think they were both really good. That being said, I really have no idea why they chose that routine. I have several friends who are in a professional ballet company so I have seen a good number of ballets. I was hoping for a more exciting piece. Oh well......

Quote Originally Posted by NCLurker View Post
    I too was disappointed in the ballet. I am not a dancer, but have been told I have a good eye in regards to technique. I do think they were both really good. That being said, I really have no idea why they chose that routine. I have several friends who are in a professional ballet company so I have seen a good number of ballets. I was hoping for a more exciting piece. Oh well......
    I agree here too. I kept waiting for Chehon to show off his amazing leaps and agility, but the choreographer didn't give him anything to make him actually shine. I guess his partnering Eliana was what was mainly being viewed, but I have been to many ballet performances, including The Nutcracker, and the men do much more than just partner. At least he got to show off more during his routine with Allison. That one handed lift... oh my god, that was incredible!
    JavaJo likes this.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    I agree here too. I kept waiting for Chehon to show off his amazing leaps and agility, but the choreographer didn't give him anything to make him actually shine. I guess his partnering Eliana was what was mainly being viewed, but I have been to many ballet performances, including The Nutcracker, and the men do much more than just partner. At least he got to show off more during his routine with Allison. That one handed lift... oh my god, that was incredible!
    I was waiting as well since we certainly knew he was capable as he had shown us his amazing talent with his solos. I admit I know nothing about ballet and was wondering why he was not given more by the choreographer. Even watching Eliana as she was doing her one point (thanks Fanny Mare as I didn't know what they were called) I figured it had to be hard to do those because Nigel went wild about the number of times she had accomplished them, but if you know nothing about ballet like myself it did fall flat for me as a viewer. I guess I was just expecting more from the routine as here we had two people who were experts in this type of dance and would have thought the choreographer would have given the common viewer who does not know ballet something more breathtaking. I wonder why the spotlight was more on Eliana and less with Chehon? Again, I am not sure what his role was at that point and thought at the time why is he just standing there?

I so agree about that one handed lift and the strength he had. That was definitely breathtaking. One other thing I was wondering if anyone remembered when he was dancing one of the latin dances in the previous week's show with Whitney (hope I have the right girl) and think I am remembering he had trouble with the lifts and was criticized for it and of course Latin not being his best dance I wonder what happened to cause him to have problems with that and yet he turned around and did this one handed lift like it was nothing. Am I remembering correctly and any thoughts on it?

I. Loved. It. All. Whoohoo!
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast