+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: 9/5 Show Discussion Thread *Spoilers*

Re: 9/5 Show Discussion Thread *Spoilers*

I have a big feeling that Cyrus will be given ballet and a ballroom dance next week. Have they actually picked out of a hat yet?

To the Point

I still love this show but have been terribly disappointed in this season. I don't know if it's just the new format or what but something has been off. I do TOTALLY agree that Cyrus should have been gone long ago. While I think he is a very likable personality and is interesting in his style, he was inferior to all the other dancers in technique and range. I feel that never has the manipulation of style assignments been more apparent than this season and that manipulation has all been in regards to Cyrus. He has not drawn anything that would totally exploit his weaknesses. Everything he has performed has been such that the choreographers could dumb down and work around any choreography that would have done so.

On pure technical skill, Chehon is by far the most accomplished of all the males. He is beautiful! Now, he has been challenged in styles that exposed his weaknesses, however it did not appear that they chose to dumb down the choreography. He has shown improvement in the styles in which he has struggled, which would be ballroom. However, he has performed some beautiful dances outside his specialty as well.

I do hope that Chehon and Eliana are paired for ballet this coming week. They have amazing skills and I think they will be amazing.
    AZChristian and sparklete like this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    You guys have pretty much said it all regarding Cyrus still being there. I just don't get it. This is a DANCING show people, not a whom do you feel sorry for show.
    I really don't get the sense that anyone feels sorry for Cyrus. Folks simply like him and are drawn to him. I think that's how he keeps surviving the vote. I'm certain if he was ever in the bottom, the judges would have eliminated him. I checked Twitter followers, and he has the most...by thousands.

Wherever he ends up, Cyrus may get work with rappers as a backup dance and for music videos, but I doubt if any serious dance company would hire him without years of real dance training. Cole, Cheon, Will, Darien, George, Matthew will all find work apres show.
    Shoepie, mesachick and AZChristian like this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

FORT Fogey

I agree with everyone who finds this season flat. There have been some major flaws.

Dancing with former contestants.
    Not seeing them draw their dance and partner out of a hat.
    Too fast, we didn't get to know anyone.
    Recreating Mia's dances.
    Choosing Cyrus without asking him to do choreography.

And there are probably many more flaws that do not leap to mind at the moment.
    sparklete likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringMaiden27 View Post
    I really don't get the sense that anyone feels sorry for Cyrus. Folks simply like him and are drawn to him. I think that's how he keeps surviving the vote. I'm certain if he was ever in the bottom, the judges would have eliminated him. I checked Twitter followers, and he has the most...by thousands.

It doesn't help that vote for the worst was voting for him.This season for me, is .I dont care who wins.I dont think Chehon is the best male dancer SYTYCD has seen imho

As for the girls, same thing. We have seen better dancers on this show.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

To the Point

I don't believe Chehon is the best male dancer they've ever seen, however, I do think he is the most technically proficient that they had this year. I would put Alex Wong at the top of the best list with a few others right behind him. I think Alex would easily be in spots 1, 2 and 3 for me. He just has the "it" factor, the technical skills and the ability to crossover to other styles with great skill. But as I said to begin with, while Chehon doesn't crossover as well, he is by far the most technically gifted of the males this season.

Quote Originally Posted by NCLurker View Post
    I don't believe Chehon is the best male dancer they've ever seen, however, I do think he is the most technically proficient that they had this year. I would put Alex Wong at the top of the best list with a few others right behind him. I think Alex would easily be in spots 1, 2 and 3 for me. He just has the "it" factor, the technical skills and the ability to crossover to other styles with great skill. But as I said to begin with, while Chehon doesn't crossover as well, he is by far the most technically gifted of the males this season.
    Given who he dances for he should be. I am not bowled over by him
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Travesty is indeed the word for it. Cole should have been the winner for the men with Chelon or Will in 2nd place. What I noticed was that they gave Cyrius whatever dance form that was that matches his skills, but all really good ones got dances that were way out of their personal styles. It was an unfair playing field and my admiration for this show has hit bottom.
    You've all said it and I completely agree. Total travesty that Cole has been eliminated and Cyrus is seemingly being PIMPED, for some unfathomable reason. This whole season has seemed a little off to me, and I thought I was the only one who felt that way. I'm so glad to read everyone else's comments about the strangeness of this season. Too bad the powers-that-be at SYTYCD don't read FORT!
    sparklete likes this.

I don't comment on this show much, because I usually DVR it and watch it way way late, but this season has seemed off to me as well. I don't know if it was the break for the Olympics or only one show a week or what. They had some really great dancers this year, almost every bottom 3 I was feeling sorry for the judges because I didn't know who they should send home but while they all danced really well, there were several contestants I could not remember the name of until a week or 2 ago. Tiffany was one, and while I like her more now, I feel like she came out of nowhere. Eliana was another, but now I'm pretty sure she should be the one to win. They are all good dancers, but maybe it is their personalities that have fallen flat for me

My thoughts:
    I really don't like that every show is 2 hours. It gets very tedious for me. Even with them doing multiple dances. And while I see the reasoning behind it, it's just hard for me to sit through.
    I actually like them dancing with the all-stars, that is where Eliana finally stuck in my mind when she got to ditch Cyrus and dance with Alex. Tiffany stood out more at this point as well.
    A whole show of rehashing Mia's routines? I like her, but no thanks. I absolutely hated that idea.
    I find Nigel really annoying and self-righteous. I actually prefer Mary. They have had pretty good guest judges this year, I will give them that. And at least they all seem to know what they're talking about, even with the favoritism (bound to happen on any show like this I guess, but yelling at Dareian week after week about his feet when he danced his little heart out and at the same time praising Cyrus... I'd just like a little consistency here, is personality and heart more important or technical style?) I wish Adam was a permanent judge, he's my favorite, although maybe it's best he isn't as I think he's either a love him or hate him type person
    They need Wade Robson back to choreograph.
    Will should be there.
    Florimel, mesachick and sparklete like this.
    "All right, my turn." -Zach, BB16

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast