+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: 9/5 Show Discussion Thread *Spoilers*

FORT Fogey

Re: 9/5 Show Discussion Thread *Spoilers*

Hmmmm, a little chilly amongst the girls up there. My choice winners would be Eliana and Chehon. Tuesday is going to be one heck of a show.

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    Personally, I'm surprised Chehon didn't go instead of Cole.

As for Cyrus, I know I'm in the minority but I don't think he's a bad dancer at all. Maybe I'm missing what he's doing that others think is wrong. I've seen much more obvious mistakes from Chehon and Cole over the last few weeks.

I'm happy that the judges like Cyrus as much as I do!
    To me, he's been a consistenly good dancer. He's done well with every style of dance he's tried. I enjoy watching him every week.

BTW, you can't blame me for him still being in this week. I missed last week's show so I didn't get to vote for him.
    You'll notice that they praise his personality and presence and not his technique, because his technique is terrible. It smacks of covering their butts so they don't look foolish for having put him in the top 20. Cyrus is good at one style - his own, very limited one. That's it. The fact that the choreographers are very obviously dumbing down choreography or putting Cyrus in the back of group numbers is infuriating.

As someone who studied dance formally from ages 5 until about 18, I can tell you, he is nowhere in the same league as the rest of the top 20. Chechon and Cole are classically trained. They leave Cyrus in the dust. Cyrus has bad feet, no extension, no elevation in his jumps, weak arms and he can't turn. He doesn't have much upper body strength either so he's not a very good partner. He's very good at one thing and that's his own style. I'm sure he's a nice kid and he seems to work hard, but I don't want to see him dance.

I'm glad you're enjoying him, but he's the reason I'm done with the show for the season. It was bad enough that an inferior dancer got in the top 20, but the top 4? I won't watch that.

This show has always been about personality over skill and dance ability. Look at Benji over Travis, Sabra over Danny, Jeanine over Brandon (to a lesser extent), Russell over Jakob. Sometimes, the best dancer wins, like with Melanie last season.vStill, if Cyrus wins, this will be the season where personality AND a greatly inferior dancer won out over ability. For me, Chehon (and every other guy in the top 20) has beat Cyrus by miles.

If they pair Chehon and Cyrus in a dance for the finale, Cyrus' inadequacies will really be on display. Unless, of course, the choreographers work to hide his lack of ability once again.

Yep, I'm really disappointed in this season (in case you hadn't picked up on that). It seemed so promising in the early weeks with so many incredible dancers. At least the top 2 girls are excellent.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

It's really not fair that they criticize Chehon's cha-cha and Cole's pirouette then totally ignore how bad Cyrus' dancing with other styles. Instead they talk about the choreographer and his/her work or how fun the routine was and how America loves Cole so much. He was never in the bottom so suffice it to say that he will win it. Was hoping that Cole made it over him but I knew he couldn't beat Cyrus in the votes. As for the girls, America got it right.

Like I said before, Cyrus was put in as filler (to add variety) and the judges probably expected that he will eventually land the bottom 2 or 3 so they can eliminate him but the plan backfired. Turns out he's going to win the whole thing!
    Last edited by jammyjoe; 09-06-2012 at 03:07 AM.
    NCLurker, Critical, Dukie and 2 others like this.

FORT Regular

As for Cyrus, I know I'm in the minority but I don't think he's a bad dancer at all. Maybe I'm missing what he's doing that others think is wrong. I've seen much more obvious mistakes from Chehon and Cole over the last few weeks.

I'm happy that the judges like Cyrus as much as I do! To me, he's been a consistenly good dancer. He's done well with every style of dance he's tried. I enjoy watching him every week.
    It's been pretty obvious to me that choreographers are doing two things: Putting Cyrus in the back of group routines, and putting him in a situation where he had to do a lot of lifts in the partner routines. Did he even have to do a ballroom dance? I don't recall that he did (maybe someone else remembers), because I feel like--like with Chehon--his lack of technique would have been on full display. Or Bollywood, or anything really totally technical, for that matter. All I remember is hiphop and stuff where he threw girls around a lot. And a lot of that jump-spinning where he tucks his legs under himself.

I know a lot of people get all flouncey and declare, "I'm never going to watch this show again!" I know I will still watch--just as I do every year. But I can't ignore what a joke this season was, with genuinely GOOD dancers leaving over mediocre ones and Cyrus Russelling his way to the end. I think the missing weeks were part of it, never mind the missing days. I still don't know who Tiffany is, and there were several other dancers who, after the Olympics I was like, "Who is that??"

At least I have hope that Eliana will make it. Now excuse me while I go vote for her about 50 times ...
    AZChristian and sparklete like this.

Cyrus - kinda fun to watch but shouldn't have been in the Top 10. And I do feel like they've done a lot to try to hide his lack of technical skill... which is what they are supposed to do. He's not MY favorite dancer - I want Will back!! But in has absence, Go Chehon!

It took me a long time to remember Tiffany - and I kept confusing her with Audrey early on... but now I really like her! She's been doing a great job dancing and she's adorable. I'm still rooting for Eliana but wouldn't be too upset if Tiffany somehow takes the title.

Guest judge - I LOVE Christina Applegate! Almost as much as Jesse Tyler Ferguson... in some ways more since she seems to know a lot about dancing and the contestants. Her comment about wanting to throw pens through Cyrus' ears cracked me up!!

One more thing... what is Dub Step??
    AZChristian and sparklete like this.
    Love me some SYTYCD All-Stars!

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this subject because I think Cyrus is a great dancer. One of the things that impresses me the most about him is that I do feel that he dances with his whole body, not just his feet.

I've never heard of Dub Step either.

I had to Google Dubstep last night. I thought it was a dance style, but it's actually a music style originating in South London- full of big bass beats and electronic sounds. That's about it in a nutshell. I really think that somehow the producers WANT Cyrus to win. He got the last dance with an AS and it was to (basically) his own style and he got the very last solo so everyone will remember his the most. I think his personality is great and he really seems to be enjoying himself without getting full of himself, but he is NOT the best dancer there and its a shame several better dancers left before him. I am rooting for Eliana, but Tiffany has impressed me the past 2 weeks- her dance with Benji was amazing- she truly looked like a swing dancer and kept up with him step for step.

As much we we all complained about the Results Show and how drawn out it was, I think it must've really added something to the show because this season has felt rushed and 'flat' (as someone else said). I don't feel like I've gotten to know the dancers as well and I've missed seeing a lot of the rehersal footage, which I really enjoy watching. This message board used to light up after the show and there would be pages and pages of discussion to catch up on, but now if it gets to 4 pages in a weeks time that is a lot.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I liked having the results show before but I think it could have been edited down. Do we really need to have a guest singer for the results show in a dance competition? I think not.

If they're going to go with this format, I'd prefer for them to start off the episode with eliminations and then get to the dancing. It's kind of frustrating as it is because someone could have a great performance this week and then be sent home for what they did last week.

I don't miss the stupid things they used to do like "tell us what your partner's favorite color is", "describe yourself in 20 seconds", etc. I thought those were boring as heck. I watch the show to see them dance, not to hear them ramble on about pointless things.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Dukie View Post
    Cyrus - kinda fun to watch but shouldn't have been in the Top 10. And I do feel like they've done a lot to try to hide his lack of technical skill... which is what they are supposed to do. He's not MY favorite dancer - I want Will back!! But in has absence, Go Chehon!

It took me a long time to remember Tiffany - and I kept confusing her with Audrey early on... but now I really like her! She's been doing a great job dancing and she's adorable. I'm still rooting for Eliana but wouldn't be too upset if Tiffany somehow takes the title.

Guest judge - I LOVE Christina Applegate! Almost as much as Jesse Tyler Ferguson... in some ways more since she seems to know a lot about dancing and the contestants. Her comment about wanting to throw pens through Cyrus' ears cracked me up!!

One more thing... what is Dub Step??
    I love those two judges, as well, very much. Such a nice change from Lil C. I have missed Adam this season. Well, I have missed a lot this season. The format changes have left this show less than.

Maybaybie You said it perfectly. I have nothing more to add other than
    AZChristian likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I liked having the results show before but I think it could have been edited down. Do we really need to have a guest singer for the results show in a dance competition? I think not.

If they're going to go with this format, I'd prefer for them to start off the episode with eliminations and then get to the dancing. It's kind of frustrating as it is because someone could have a great performance this week and then be sent home for what they did last week.

I don't miss the stupid things they used to do like "tell us what your partner's favorite color is", "describe yourself in 20 seconds", etc. I thought those were boring as heck. I watch the show to see them dance, not to hear them ramble on about pointless things.
    I agree with this.I would prefer they start off with elimination, I have said all along, it ends on a sour note for me.
    This show isn't as good as it was, but then this season not many of the shows I watch have been
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast