+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: 8/29 Show Discusson Thread *Spoilers*

  1. #11
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    873

    Re: 8/29 Show Discusson Thread *Spoilers*

    All of the routines were so fabulous tonight! My favorite was easily Will & Lauren as I just loved the concept. Melanie and Cyrus were so fun! Chehon & Anya were incredibly compelling. Happy that Chehon was safe tonight with his mother watching in the audience. What a fascinating backstory he has.

    Sooo happy to see Ade

    I didn't want Eliana & Chehon's solos to end they were so beautiful.

    I do completely understand the Cyrus love. He always gives 110%, is very likeable, humble, and he's a tremendous performer. With his solo tonight, he cemented his spot in the finals. He's a favorite. As far as the girls, I think Witney may get the title now. The hip hop was very memorable, and I suspect she and Lindsey were splitting votes. It's going to be verrrry close with the voting this week!

    Dancer of the night for me: Will.

  2. #12
    Bitten Critical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Fangtasia - The Bar With Bite
    Age
    45
    Posts
    16,174

    Re: 8/29 Show Discusson Thread *Spoilers*

    I gave most of my votes to Chehon this week. If the judges decide who gets eliminated, Eliana will be safe, but Chehon might not be. Plus, the more votes someone other than Cyrus gets, the better.

    Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Cyrus is a nice kid. He's just out of his depth in this competition.

    Maybe I'm just foolish in hoping that this show comes down to talent. Wouldn't be the first time it didn't....
    Florimel likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

  3. #13
    FORT Fogey Maybaybie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    946

    Re: 8/29 Show Discusson Thread *Spoilers*

    I thought it as interesting that Nigel made such a point about how Cyrus has to learn a new style every week because SYTYCD doesn't do his style. Well why not? No one comes on that is a Bollywood expert and the hip hoppers/breakers have to learn ballroom and contemporary which I'm sure is absolutely foreign to them, so why not include Animation as a new style? They added Krump (Crump?) a few years ago, so it wouldn't be that far of a stretch. I'm sure there is a choreographer out there that teaches it. I'm not saying I want the show to turn into So You Think You Can Street Dance, but if there is a contestant on the show that has a certain style, I think they should add that style at least once during the season. This season they should have also thrown in some Belly Dance routine as well. That being said, I really don't think Cyrus should still be there either. It's great that he has "grown so much as a dancer" (as they always say), but again, this isn't So You Think You Can Grow. I think it's time for him to exit stage left.
    sparklete likes this.

  4. #14
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    13,531

    Re: 8/29 Show Discusson Thread *Spoilers*

    This season isn't catching me either. I like the results at the end because I don't like all the filler on result shows of all kinds.

    I cannot put my finger on what is off for me. It has gone too fast; eliminating 4 at once in a couple of the earlier shows is part of it.

    Audrey going in favor of keeping Whitney was nuts. I will never understand that one. Perhaps a little more info from Nigel would be helpful. Never will we hear the behind the scenes logic or lack thereof.

  5. #15
    Resident "tyrant" JavaJo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Bedlam
    Posts
    6,059

    Re: 8/29 Show Discusson Thread *Spoilers*

    Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    This season isn't catching me either. I like the results at the end because I don't like all the filler on result shows of all kinds.

    I cannot put my finger on what is off for me. It has gone too fast; eliminating 4 at once in a couple of the earlier shows is part of it.
    The problem with not having a results show, IMO, is that it cuts time away from the actual show and since they can't cut the dancing, they have to cut time off the clips. The clips are how we get to know the dancers. That's when their personalities show through and it seems like earlier in the season, we weren't getting much in the way of personal clips (like their background stories last night) and that hurts the kids because we don't KNOW them enough to really care.

    And that is double edged sword because, again IMO, people are voting based on the dances they see and not the dancers history of dances as a whole. So if one tanks once, they seem to be gone next. Audrey for instance. She didn't really have any missteps this season but she got eliminated for that boring, low content dance that Mia did in honor of her father. Dereion drew the bed dance which wasn't a fan favorite the first time, either. Eliana looks to be the girl to take it all, but I fear that if she has to perform a dance with poor choreography, she could leave because of it. And the fans don't really "know" her so they dont' have the connection with her that could pull her through.
    dbdoll, Shoepie and sparklete like this.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

  6. #16
    Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Age
    43
    Posts
    4,401

    Re: 8/29 Show Discusson Thread *Spoilers*

    I didn't see the show last night. I kept flipping to that channel and sports was on. I figured they had said something about no show this week and I missed it. Now I'll have to see if I can watch it online sometime.
    Current Pools: Face Off 7, Masterchef 5, So You Think You Can Dance 11
    Upcoming Pools: Project Runway 13 Registration Deadline: July 31st

  7. #17
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    873

    Re: 8/29 Show Discusson Thread *Spoilers*

    Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I gave most of my votes to Chehon this week. If the judges decide who gets eliminated, Eliana will be safe, but Chehon might not be. Plus, the more votes someone other than Cyrus gets, the better.

    Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Cyrus is a nice kid. He's just out of his depth in this competition.

    Maybe I'm just foolish in hoping that this show comes down to talent. Wouldn't be the first time it didn't....
    Nigel said this was the last week the judges would decide who goes home.

  8. #18
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    13,531

    Re: 8/29 Show Discusson Thread *Spoilers*

    Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post
    The problem with not having a results show, IMO, is that it cuts time away from the actual show and since they can't cut the dancing, they have to cut time off the clips. The clips are how we get to know the dancers. That's when their personalities show through and it seems like earlier in the season, we weren't getting much in the way of personal clips (like their background stories last night) and that hurts the kids because we don't KNOW them enough to really care.

    And that is double edged sword because, again IMO, people are voting based on the dances they see and not the dancers history of dances as a whole. So if one tanks once, they seem to be gone next. Audrey for instance. She didn't really have any missteps this season but she got eliminated for that boring, low content dance that Mia did in honor of her father. Dereion drew the bed dance which wasn't a fan favorite the first time, either. Eliana looks to be the girl to take it all, but I fear that if she has to perform a dance with poor choreography, she could leave because of it. And the fans don't really "know" her so they dont' have the connection with her that could pull her through.
    The elimination really doesn't take a lot of time now that there will be no solos. I like the way it is done quickly and without suspense.

    I do think they are lacking on the package parts and they should have started earlier with those. Chehon has a very interesting background and had this been shown earlier I doubt he would have ever been in the bottom.

    There is time to do this even with the eliminations. More backstory instead of the solos would have been better. I am not fond of the solos, especially the ballroom dancers. AND this season they are not having them dance with each other. I have always liked that. I get it that it is easier to pay attention to their performance though.

  9. #19
    as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,847

    Re: 8/29 Show Discusson Thread *Spoilers*

    Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post
    I was shocked about the bottom two guys. The girls, not so much, I haven't been a fan of either of them and I'm mad that Audrey left over Lyndsey last week. I thought she was the only real competition for Eliana. Although Tiffany stepped it up tonight.

    Coles dance with Allison was terrific. Sonja never ceases to amaze me. And I think the difference in Allison is simple...she's an adult now, she's had a baby.....she's aging.

    This is my favorite show (after Big Brother) and I'm losing interest, which saddens me. I think losing the results show is the reason. Everything is so rushed and here we are...down to the top 4 boys and 4 girls and tonight is the first night that I've felt like I got to know any of them. We just haven't had the time to connect with them, so it's hard to really root hard for anyone.

    Cyrus, I love him, but Critical, you are right. He's overstayed his welcome. He's amazing at what he does and he really takes on the characters but he's not up to par with the other dancers.
    I could not agree more! With everything! The entire season has felt rushed and while I've watched every episode I don't feel as if I know these contestants, especially not when I compare to previous seasons. I would add two things:
    1) I've been (im)patiently waiting for Whitny to go home - enough is enough! Rightly or wrongly I look at her and see a pole dancer. I need her gone... now. Please.
    2) I love Cyrus but it was a mistake to bring him to the top 20 (or however many we "started" with). Nigel et. al. were expecting the public to love him but realize he was not as talented as the other guys and vote him off. Obviously that hasn't happened (has Cyrus EVER been in the bottom and had to rely on the judges save???) and each week I have to wonder if Nigel is regretting his decision. I mean honestly, Cyrus could win this thing because he's obviously super popular. I would be so unhappy if he won. Not unhappy for Cyrus but unhappy for all the other supremely talented dancers who were not as popular.

    Ugh.
    Florimel, Shoepie and JavaJo like this.

    Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

  10. #20
    FORT Fogey jammyjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,622

    Re: 8/29 Show Discusson Thread *Spoilers*

    Cyrus was never in the bottom 3 so he kept moving on. But if he ever landed there, the judges would have eliminated him. He was only there for filler and add variety. Unfortunately, the strategy backfired.
    Shoepie likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.