+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: 8/22 Show Discussion Thread *Spoilers*

Re: 8/22 Show Discussion Thread *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I do like ballroom dancing but Witney didn't really do any special moves. When I watch a solo, I look for extraordinary moves with high technical skill which they pull off better than most dancers might. Any of the dancers on the show could have shimmied around the stage like Witney did. I wasn't impressed. Audrey did a better job of showing what she could do. I'm pretty sure the judges had already decided they were keeping Witney over Audrey so their solo dances didn't factor into their decision.
    And that has to cloud their judgment .I was on the phone, and before anyone was announced .I said to my girlfriend Audrey and George will be sent home .She said this morning, how did I know. I said I can tell by the judges comments, more so Nigel than anyone else.So it came as no surprise when these two went home. Another reason I don't like this set up this season
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    BTW, I have such a bad memory for past SYTYCD alumni. I remember certain ones like Twitch, Alex, etc but many others I don't recall. I don't remember Jakob and even after hearing Anya's name last night, I didn't remember her.

I probably knew who they were in their seasons but how quickly you forget after!

Makes me wonder if I'll remember anyone from this season.

*Edited to add*

After checking Wikipedia, Jakob was on season 6. I didn't recognize any of the contestants' names. I think I must have missed watching that season.
    I do the same thing. I remember very few contestants from reality shows that I love. There are some who always stand out but not many!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    And that has to cloud their judgment .I was on the phone, and before anyone was announced .I said to my girlfriend Audrey and George will be sent home .She said this morning, how did I know. I said I can tell by the judges comments, more so Nigel than anyone else.So it came as no surprise when these two went home. Another reason I don't like this set up this season
    I thought the opposite was true before any comments from Nigel. It was just after the solo's.

Then Nigel opens his mouth and gives it away before he finishes a complete sentence. I would rather have him just say the name and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    I thought the opposite was true before any comments from Nigel. It was just after the solo's.

Then Nigel opens his mouth and gives it away before he finishes a complete sentence. I would rather have him just say the name and be done with it.
    I could tell George was going, when he was the only one of the judges that didn't like their routine and it was not what he said, it was the way he said it.

Oh well, mostly I tune in for dancing, and no backchat from anyone with HUGE egos.. I love all dance styles.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    I agree with all you said, pikachu.

Ballroom dancers have the worst solo's and it seems the judges favor their limitations when they do not with others. We see them pull off contemporary dances so make your solo more interesting, for cryin' out loud! Ok done. I don't like ballroom dancing, can you tell?

Odd that Nigel declared his favorite dancer. That creates all kinds of feelings and conflict behind the scenes. Why do that?
    They do that every year. Nigel has changed his favorites over the course of seasons before. I think it probably fosters more competition between the dancers and forces them to work harder.

I can't say I disagree with Nigel about Eliana. She's fabulous.

So, Nigel says good dancing isn't about pointed feet, but then he makes a point of having Jakob point his feet for the audience?
    Shoepie and Dukie like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I agree that this season's ballroom dancers are not giving us great solos, but others in past seasons certainly have; e.g., Heidi, Benji, Pasha, Artem, Lacey, to name a few just off the top of my head. I love ballroom and almost all of the genres on this show.

I do not like hip hop or the other versions of street dancing. I am well aware that it takes a great deal of skill, but it almost never moves me or touches my heart. I have enjoyed some of the softer routines, like those of Napoleon and Tabitha, and I think Twitch is amazing. He impressed me with his ability to master all genres in his season. I felt the same about Hok. I do not put Cyrus at their level and he's stayed way too long for me.
    AZChristian likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post

I can't say I disagree with Nigel about Eliana. She's fabulous.
    Eliana is really starting to grow on me. I thought her dance with Alex last night was beautiful.

I just wish they'd kept Audrey and sent Witney home. They don't need two ballroom girls and one of them is always in the bottom. I prefer the other one to Witney though.
    Dukie likes this.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

The thing with Cyrus is he's not really dancing at this point. He hasn't embodied any of the routines in a true fashion in terms of technique. He's either doing his shaking moves (which are fantastic) or he's in the shadows or just a prop for the girl to dance around. I like Cyrus, but he really isn't an all around dancer, unlike all of the other male dancers there. He should have been let go a long time ago. I was really sad to see George go home in Cyrus' stead. I feel that Cyrus is just getting the "awwww" votes. The girls, I really like Whitney. She has a ton of personality and just shines on the floor. I do feel that all of the dancers were impeded last week by the Mia redux routines.

Loved seeing Alex!! Twitch was amazing as always. Anya and Cole - what the heck was that? Cole was hurt, so maybe that had something to do with how awkward their routine was. Will - still my favorite at this point.
    Florimel, Shoepie and AZChristian like this.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Anya was season 3 and was (and I believe still is) in a relationship with Pasha. When she was on the show she was a brunette and I think looked MUCH better than the blonde mess she's sporting now. She was paired with Danny and there was much handwringing at the time over their "lack of connection". I like her, but she definitely was not at her best this time. I thought Cole was very good and kept up with her quite well.
    Dukie likes this.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

FORT Fogey

Wow, what a difference the allstars make! Tiffany & Brandon were so great with that disco routine. She was a blank slate for me until this week. Kinda annoyed by the backhanded compliments to Cyrus. Really like Eliana still, and she is my favorite dancer left.
    Dukie likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234