+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: 8/15 Show Discussion Thread *Spoilers*

Who is John Galt?

Re: 8/15 Show Discussion Thread *Spoilers*

In absolutely NO WAY should Cyrus still be there (but then I don't think he should have made top 20). It will be a real shame if he wins over some of these fantastic male dancers. Too bad. Nigel and other judges made a great error my choosing him over much better dancers.

Also, I am not a huge fan of Mya Michaels - she is great sometimes, and just okay others. IMO - it was way too much Mya. I enjoy other types of dancing rather than just contemporary. To say I was disappointed with many facets of the show tonight would be an understatement.

I also agree with a previous poster who mentioned the comparisons that were inevitable with those who made the dancers memorable. It put these dancers on the defensive (so to speak) and that really wasn't fair. If we had to endure Mya Michaels' routines all evening, they should have been new routines, not redux of old ones.
    Last edited by aname2; 08-16-2012 at 08:20 PM. Reason: change
    Florimel and sparklete like this.

FORT Fogey

I hated the redo of dances we loved the first time around. Bad idea. Very bad. The assisted run totally failed. The number about Mia's father was very odd. It was staged as two lovers not father and daughter for starters. I don't remember the original. There were many Marlboro men, not just Mia's dad.

Ballroom dancers fail miserably doing a solo. They look like Martin Short doing Ed Grimly.

Viewers get enough of ballroom dancing on DWTS. The unfortunate couple that draws ballroom never get a lot of votes and it is because the other numbers are far more interesting.

I guess I am a thunder cloud today about this show! I just don't know the dancers yet and the long break didn't help. I do like the elimination at the end though. It gives them another dance to show the judges. Had Lindsay not done so well in her number she may have been gone.

Curtis is getting charisma votes. I don't think he will make it to the end but better dancers are going in his place which is not good.

This is my second season so I had not seen these routines previous to the show. I think as a Newbie I was rather disappointed when the judges made dancer comparisons for each dance. That was a downer as I thought each dance had lovely performances.

I wasn't the only newbie because the Ballet Boys also had a fresh perspective. They really didn't know what to say unless it was a technical problem such as feet. I laughed when they told Chenon he could join Ballet Boys anytime. That, supposedly, isn't why he is there, but it was a good tip of the hat to a fellow ballet dancer.

While I'm sad Amelia is gone, I'm glad Lindsey held on. Both Salt Lake City Ballroom girls are doing terrific with the crossover dances. After watching the Ballet West reality show this summer, I grinned when the Ballet Boys also gave a tip of the hat to SLC as being a terrific dance city...a studio on every corner is how I think they put it.

After an evening of modern, it's back to a jumble or styles next week with the new kids meeting the old kids. And the beat goes on...
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

I hate that they have to get rid of 2 girls and 2 guys because of the shortened season. But if they do have to eliminate that many, they really should have a bottom 4 girls and bottom 4 guys. The chance is too great that they will have too many of the best somehow in the B3. Personally I would have preferred Tiffany, Audrey or Eliana go before Amelia and Janelle. I'd even have Lindsay go before those 2. And in the name of diversity, why do we have both the blonde ballroom twins? Yes, they are very good, and I do like them both. But now with the top 5 girls you have 2 ballroom dancers, 2 jazz dancers and one ballet dancer. They got rid of the belly dancer and the contemporary dancer, which would have given a little more variety.

Of the B3 guys, I thought Dareian had the best solo by far. I'm no dance expert at all, so I never noticed anything wrong with his feet. I just know that he entertained me the most.
    sparklete likes this.
    Everything has an end. Only the sausage has two. - Monroe, from Grimm

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict View Post
    I hate that they have to get rid of 2 girls and 2 guys because of the shortened season. But if they do have to eliminate that many, they really should have a bottom 4 girls and bottom 4 guys. The chance is too great that they will have too many of the best somehow in the B3. Personally I would have preferred Tiffany, Audrey or Eliana go before Amelia and Janelle. I'd even have Lindsay go before those 2. And in the name of diversity, why do we have both the blonde ballroom twins? Yes, they are very good, and I do like them both. But now with the top 5 girls you have 2 ballroom dancers, 2 jazz dancers and one ballet dancer. They got rid of the belly dancer and the contemporary dancer, which would have given a little more variety.

Of the B3 guys, I thought Dareian had the best solo by far. I'm no dance expert at all, so I never noticed anything wrong with his feet. I just know that he entertained me the most.
    I like your idea of a bottom 4 instead of 3 if they are eliminating 2 dancers from each group. I don't mind that they are eliminating 2 at a time since many dancers just hang around until it's their time to go... makes the weeding out process much quicker, but I do think some dancers are going too early and had more potential but less connection to the viewers. Too many blondes that I have yet to differentiate between most of them yet.

Reusing favorite Mia routines last week was definitely risky. Is it even possible to redo a favorite and be better than the original? Seems like it was set up for failure for the dancers. Now that they are eliminating at the end of the show, I'm closely following the judges post dance comments since they seem to negatively critique some dances that I enjoy. Then it turns out those dancers are in the bottom three and most likely to go home, judges appear to be setting the stage.
    sparklete likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict View Post
    Watch a video of Chehon dancing and pay attention to his feet and then do the same with Dareian. There's no contest. Dareian either has flat feet or got bad training. The fact that he started dancing very young may indicate that this is a problem with his anatomy. I found it really distracting. With good technique, you notice the dancer, but with bad technique, you notice the problem. If he really works on his feet, I think he'll have a career. Without it, I think he'll do okay, but there are many jobs he wouldn't get because of those feet.

When you point your feet, you also have to point your whole leg. That's what good ballet training teaches you. It extends the line and makes your legs look longer. A "floppy" foot ruins the line. None of the other dancers (save Cyrus, of course) have bad feet and I generally only notice really good feet. Dareian's stand out. Obviously the judges thought so too.

Nigel may like this format, but I think it sucks! Like someone mentioned above, every episode ends on a down note. I know he's trying to be positive about it, but I can't imagine that NOT having a results show was anything but a decision made by Fox based on money.

I wouldn't care if we only have Contemporary dancers left. For me, this show isn't about what their specialty is, it's about versatility. Alex Wong is a ballet dancer and he killed it with that hip hop routine with Twitch.
    Florimel and mesachick like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123