+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: 8/3 Show ***Spoilers***

Re: 8/3 Show ***Spoilers***

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I'm not a fan of whacking, either. As Whitney Houston would say, whacking is whack.
    Good point! They said it had been around since the 70's.I had never heard of it before this show

I just watched the clip of Melanie and Tadd's routine and even in the rehearsal studio Melanie completely sold the emotions of the story line. Just amazing!

Just finished watching on my DVR. Let me look at my notes here...

All-Star Dances

Melanie and Twitch--much preferred the routine Twitch did with Sasha a couple of weeks ago. I don't know what it was, maybe the music, but this routine just did not grab me. Something just felt "off" about it.

Sasha and Kent--I have mixed feelings about this one. Yeah, it looked lovely, but it was vaguely disturbing. Maybe I'm crazy, but I felt like I was watching an abusive relationship play out, what with the woman running away and the man continually dragging her back. Also, I wasn't crazy about the camera work. When Christina raved about that part where Kent twirled in the foreground while Sasha played with the wall in the background ("I didn't even know what Kent was doing!"), I had to rewind it to see what she was talking about. Sure enough, the camera focused on Kent, with Sasha waayyy behind. I had to force myself to look past Kent to Sasha. Way to go, whoever did the camera work on this routine.

Marko and Janette--Nothing great, but it would have been hard for most people to follow Sasha, what with the judges crying and everything.

Tadd and Ellenore--Like somebody said, weird. I didn't particularly like it. I felt like I was watching some cheesy action movie with all the chandelier hanging.

Ricky and Jaimie--lovely

Caitlynn and Pasha--sexy for the most part, but towards the end I was getting bored. Felt like they could have chopped some time off. Or maybe it was just the length of the show.

Partner Dances

Sasha and Ricky--interesting, nothing more. Was it just me, or did that song sound like it was talking about underage sex? Maybe that's just really weird, but I remember thinking that that song sounded trashy.

Melanie and Tadd--great idea, danced well. The judges are spot on; Melanie is a great actress as well as dancer. I loved the "Black Swan" comparison. This was my favorite routine of the night.

Caitlynn and Marko--good, but wasn't this the same theme we saw with Sasha's "wall" dance? Does every other dance have to be about a relationship falling apart??? I'm sorry, but as somebody who has been happily married for several years, it's just getting a little old seeing all these dark, negative relationship dances. I, for one, would love to see something celebrating the joys of love.

Solos

Judges were right, Melanie was the best of the night, hands down. I also loved that Tadd didn't dance to standard hip-hop music but went with something Hispanic; I felt that was really creative and a nice touch.

I agree that Melanie-Sasha-Tadd-Marko will be the F4. I hope Melanie wins because she's my favorite. Other than that I don't care. They're all good dancers so I enjoy watching them all.
    Endit and SpringMaiden27 like this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I'm already sad that this season is coming to an end. SYTYCD is one of my favorite reality shows. Personality alone won't get a contestant through for too long. It takes real talent to get on the show and stay there week after week. American Idol has become a joke, other reality shows like Next Top Model and Hell's Kitchen keep problematic people on to create drama, so it's refreshing to have a competition show with truly talented contestants. No matter who ultimately wins the top prize, the audience wins every week getting to watch them perform.

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

I'm so tired of routines involving one dancer being fed up with the other one, and in the end dancing off to the darkened corner of the stage while the other one stays in a dimming spotlight.

Been there. Done that. Can we please see contemporary numbers that vary from theme, please?
    Endit and JavaJo like this.

FORT Newbie Space Invaders Champion, Chopper Challenge Champion NOLIFEBUTTV's Avatar

I wasn't awed by it either. I just didn't get it. I think Sasha is a good dancer but something about her just annoys me.

I'm already sad that this season is coming to an end. SYTYCD is one of my favorite reality shows. Personality alone won't get a contestant through for too long. It takes real talent to get on the show and stay there week after week. American Idol has become a joke, other reality shows like Next Top Model and Hell's Kitchen keep problematic people on to create drama, so it's refreshing to have a competition show with truly talented contestants. No matter who ultimately wins the top prize, the audience wins every week getting to watch them perform.
    So well said! I agree, watching this show is so refreshing.No drama, and, as I have said before, their dancing comes from such a pure place.

Beautifully said.

And I agree with your comments about the other shows, too...Even my other favorite reality show, Project Runway, is starting to rely heavily on the drama of the contestants. Thank heavens for DVD's, where you can go back and enjoy the early years of a show before it gets spoiled.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Did Mary Murphy have a nip slip during judging Ricky? It looked REALLY odd, like somebody had cut and pasted the image of a nipple (male OR female, can't tell) over her chest to make it look like she was having an incident when she really wasn't. And the camera wasn't' even low enough, it didn't look real at all, like why did it GROW and ride up her boob to an epic size when she leaned over lol. Really weird.

Australia's Next Top Model only keeps talent around too. Season 3 and on of Australia's Next Top Model are as professional as SYTYCD or more. However the Australian version is turning into a total farce... only 8 hours to design an outfit for MULTIPLE challenges? Just kill the show then.

Quote Originally Posted by Doats View Post
    Ricky had to dance holding 2 sticks. C thought he had buckness. Christina liked him. Mary liked his rhythmical (gave up trying to spell this correctly--sorry) movement. Nigel said he had beautiful lines.
    I didn't care for this routine at all. Maybe I am just not as into Ricky as the judges seem to be.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast