+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: 8/3 Show ***Spoilers***

Re: 8/3 Show ***Spoilers***

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post
    The thing with Melanie is....she doesn't have the tight little body that I'm used to seeing on all the truly great dancers on this show. She's bigger boned and while not by any means is she fat, she still carries a little more weight than any of the other girls. You expect her to be a little clunky when she dances and then she's not. She is smooth as silk. She truly floats. I love that she's not a stick but can still out dance everyone else. Her and Tadd are my F2.
    She really does have a tight little body, it's just that she's built differently than some of the other girls. Think of gymnasts. There are usually two body types: little wispy slips of girls and very muscular girls. Same with figure skating. It really has more to do with genetics and if they have longer distances between their muscle attachments. The shorter the distance, the bigger the muscle. I'm tall, but because of where the muscles on my thighs attach, I always had bulkier thigh muscles when I danced. Melanie probably has very little fat on her body. Plus, the muscles are what allow her to really get a lot of elevation in her jumps.

For me, because I studied dance for so many years, I really am much more drawn to and moved by good technique. I pretty much always root for the person I think is the best technical dancer. I think Melanie is definitely that person, but she's also got the personality that the voters tend to go for.

I think Sasha is good too, but in their duet last week, she really suffered by comparison to Melanie.

I like that we get to see lots of different styles of dance on this show, but that whacking (?) routine was painful to watch. I think that sometimes the dancers get penalized when they're saddled with these styles. Remember the Russian folk dance debacle?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Plus, the muscles are what allow her to really get a lot of elevation in her jumps.
    Like last week when she flew across half the stage and jumped into that guy's arms! Amazing!

This is Melanie's too loose. I think her and Marco are the best and Sasha a close third. I really like Sasha but I do think Marco has a leg up on her...just a tad...
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

Quote Originally Posted by Doats View Post
    Christina and Mary (who is appears to be wearing a bad hair extension) loved the piece and Sasha. Nigel says "Tyce is at his creative best in this routine. Not sure about exactly what Lil C said but he loved her too.

So apparently I am the only person in the US who wasn't awed by that number.
    I was only awed by watching Kent again.
    JavaJo likes this.

Like so many here I feel that Melanie is clearly the best technical dancer as well as the best actress among this season's group. I'm glad that Nigel dwelled on her acting ability last night. That is what really separates her from the others. Katee has always been, to me, the best all around dancer in the show's history. Her grace, precision, power and speed made her technically brilliant but her ability to completely sell every routine with her body language and facial expressions made her unique. Take a look at some clips of her dancing, especially with Joshua, and watch her act her roles. It's impressive. Melanie possesses the same qualities and may even have an uncanny way of gliding on the floor and into her leaps that, perhaps, even Katee couldn't quite match. I was really struck by Applegate's comparing Melanie to the amazing beyond belief Donna McKecknie, whom I had the privilege of seeing with the original cast of Chorus Line. While she may not be "better" than Donna the Great (and notice how the other judges quickly covered that bit of hyperbole) Melanie, with just a tiny bit of seasoning, could probably step into a Broadway show as lead dancer if that's what she chooses to do.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dukie View Post
    I felt like Tadd got shafted a little bit, but maybe that's b/c he's one of my favorites.
    I felt he did, too, and Nigel's commented that compared to Melanie he didn't suck offended me. I thought Tadd was fantastic. He's been one of my favorites from the beginning. Each week the judges express their amazement that he's able to pull of the dances given to him. When are they going to start expecting great things from him and giving him the credit due?

I don't think Tadd will win this season. I'm guessing Melanie and Marco will be final two. I'm hoping that Tadd at least makes it to second place guy.
    JavaJo and sparklete like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mandmmom2 View Post
    This is Melanie's too loose. I think her and Marco are the best and Sasha a close third. I really like Sasha but I do think Marco has a leg up on her...just a tad...
    I love Sasha, she dances with such passion..I watched her whacking routine again.I dont like Whacking, but she was amazing.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I'm not a fan of whacking, either. As Whitney Houston would say, whacking is whack.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I felt he did, too, and Nigel's commented that compared to Melanie he didn't suck offended me. I thought Tadd was fantastic. He's been one of my favorites from the beginning. Each week the judges express their amazement that he's able to pull of the dances given to him. When are they going to start expecting great things from him and giving him the credit due?I don't think Tadd will win this season. I'm guessing Melanie and Marco will be final two. I'm hoping that Tadd at least makes it to second place guy.
    That really annoys me too. If he wasn't any good in the other styles, they wouldn't have picked for the top 20. Give the man is due. He put in the time and effort to learn these other styles to be successful on this show. He's doing a great job, and as Christina said "I love the hands!"

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I felt he did, too, and Nigel's commented that compared to Melanie he didn't suck offended me. I thought Tadd was fantastic. He's been one of my favorites from the beginning. Each week the judges express their amazement that he's able to pull of the dances given to him. When are they going to start expecting great things from him and giving him the credit due?

I don't think Tadd will win this season. I'm guessing Melanie and Marco will be final two. I'm hoping that Tadd at least makes it to second place guy.
    Yeah, Nigel's comment to Tadd was pretty cheesy. Nigel should, at times, be much more careful with the words that he uses. Tadd is certainly one of, if not the best B-boy that the show has seen. His growth form week to week has been astounding. For a change, his background as an untrained dancer appears not to be another SYTYCD myth as it's been with so many many other B and Hip Hop dancers. What's impressed me has been his grace on the floor. He is very fluid in his movements and has handled every genre of dance that has been thrown at him. He will be in the Final Four and will probably be the first or second elimination, but no doubt, The League of Extraordinary Dancers will be calling after the tour.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast