+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: 7/27 Show Discussion Thread ***Spoilers***

Re: 7/27 Show Discussion Thread ***Spoilers***

Enjoyed most of the dances tonight. Mark, Melanie and Tadd are still my favorites, and they didn't disappoint. Don't see too many great comments for Jess. (It still bothers me that his mouth is open a lot while he's dancing.) I'm okay if Jess and Caitlyn go home tomorrow night.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Great show! As much as the judges loved the final routine with Sasha and Melanie, my favorite routine of the night was Melanie and Neil's. I actually teared up watching it because it was so beautiful, and I'm not a crier. Her leap into his arms was death-defying and riveting! Just took my breath away.

I really wish the judges would stop telling contestants they're their favorite. Every season they do this, telling one dancer after another "You're my favorite", "You're the one to beat", "This contest is yours to lose", "Best of the night", etc. Those words become empty and meaningless when you tell them to EVERY contestant in the same night! I think the judges should hold back from making such pronouncements and find other ways to praise and encourage the contestants.

Lady Gaga wasn't as much of a disaster as I feared she would be. She definitely seems to know a lot about dance so her critiques had some validity to them. The other guest judge I didn't feel had the same authority.

FORT Regular

Rob Marshall (born October 17, 1960) is an American theater director, film director and choreographer. He is a six-time Tony Award nominee, Academy Award nominee, Golden Globe nominee and four-time Emmy winner whose most noted work is the 2002 Academy Award Best Picture winner Chicago.

I found this and more on wikipedia. I knew I recognized him but wasn't familiar with all the work he has done.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I just couldn't tell much from his comments to the dancers. I wasn't familiar with the guy at all.

I'm not a Ron Marshall fan, but I thought he spoke with authority. As a choreographer and former dancer, he's able to give more specific critiques than the other guest judges we've seen this season.

Gaga did better than I thought she would. I'd much rather watch a judge who gives actual criticism than someone like Ellen DeGeneres turning it into a stand-up routine.
    Fanny Mare likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by BerryCrazy View Post
    Enjoyed most of the dances tonight. Mark, Melanie and Tadd are still my favorites, and they didn't disappoint. Don't see too many great comments for Jess. (It still bothers me that his mouth is open a lot while he's dancing.) I'm okay if Jess and Caitlyn go home tomorrow night.
    I love Jess.I think he realises he has to work harder then any other dancer due to his size. But he really was born to perform/dance imho
    AZChristian likes this.

First a comment about the guest judges:
    Rob Marshall was a horrid shade of orange. He looked like an oompa-loompa. I believe he knows his stuff, but I still ended up forwarding through almost all of his comments so I wouldn't have to look at him.
    I thought Lady Gaga was very nice and reasonable in her commentary. I thought that she made good points and I appreciated her honesty if she didn't really care for the routine due to the choreography. I hate it when the dancers get the blame for executing choreography that the judges don't like.

Sasha & Pasha - She did a pretty good job, but I was a little annoyed by her head bobbing. I was surprised the judges didn't say something about it.

Caitlyn & Ivan - I thought this was a cute, enjoyable routine. Caitlyn did a good job, but it wasn't memorable.

Jordyn & Ade - I had hope through the first few moves, but it completely fizzled. I didn't like the choreography at all, not surprising since it was Tyce. Jordyn is definitely capable of executing the moves, but I just can't seem to warm to her. She is my choice to go home this week from the girls.

Melanie & Neil - Amazing as usual. Total Eclipse of the Heart was my favorite song when I got my first cheapo cassette tape player as a kid, which makes me feel old! I actually got behind the story in this one because at the end I was trying to figure out if the "couple" was going to be together in the end and I thought they were and then I got a chill as Neil walked away and left Melanie in the spotlight.

Ricky & Anya - Bummer, I wanted to like this one but I did not. Something about it just felt off - I think because of Ricky's stature he didn't feel like he was "down in" the movement. I really like all the guys that are left, but I think this is Ricky's week to go home. I'm sad that he spent so much time in the bottom early on due to his partner because he was one of my favs at the beginning.

Jess & Lauren - I was impressed. I didn't think he was going to be able to pull off hip-hop so well. In fact, after this routine I thought he was going to be one of my favorite guys this week...until I saw the next two performances...

Tadd & Lauren - I really REALLY enjoyed this routine. It was choreographed very well for Tadd. It was fun and had spunk. Lauren seems to have really matured since she was on the show and did a good job in the "sexy" role. Tadd also did a great job continuing on as though he hadn't lost his hat. I watched it twice and still missed the part where Lauren hit him in the face. I really appreciate Tadd's adaptability in this show.

Marko & Allison - Another outstanding job from Marko. While I really like Tadd, I definitely think Marko is the stronger dancer.

Ricky & Caitlyn - Ummm. I can't remember what they did so I can't imagine that it was all that great...

Jordyn & Jess - I've never been a big fan of the Rhumba, but I didn't think it was terrible...

Melanie & Sasha - I agree that this highlighted that Melanie is the better dancer. The routine was interesting, but I didn't think it was even close to the best thing Sonya has done so I didn't really get the slathering of praise over the routine.

Ricky & Marko - Meh, I didn't like this one very much. It felt too much like Nappy Tabs was trying to recapture the Outta My Head routine. Even some of the moves were duplicates.

Girls in order from my most fav to least fav:
    Melanie
    Sasha
    Caitlyn
    Jordyn

Boys in order from my most fav to least fav:
    Marko
    Tadd
    Jess
    Ricky (sorry Ricky!)
    pikachu likes this.

I burst out laughing when the show started. For some reason, when they announced the guest judges last week, I got Marshall mixed up with Rob Reiner. I was quite surprised not to see a bald, bearded guy sitting there with Nigel and Mary.

Most of the all-star dances were pretty good. Looking at my notes, I see that I only had minor criticisms for a couple of them.

--I thought Sasha could have been a little faster on the quickstep

--Caitlyn and Ivan just didn't seem to grab me.

My favorites were Melanie and Tadd. He's the first person I've seen try to imitate Michael Jackson and actually pull it off. I think MJ is smiling somewhere.

And Nigel wasn't kidding about legs that go on forever. Good grief, I didn't know you could move a body the way Melanie did.

As for the partner dances, I loved Caitlyn/Tadd and Marko/Rikki. I've seen the movie that the song "White tie" comes from, and C/T really did Fred & Ginger proud. It was very classy and elegant. I must say, though, that it felt weird hearing Ella Fitzgerald singing a song written for a man.

M/R were great. It was actually my favorite of the final four dances. You could tell they had fun doing it.

Poor Jess. I've liked him in past weeks, but I could see what the judges were talking about last night. His dance with Jordan was technically very good, but there was just no chemistry there. I know it sounds terrible, but he's just not very sexy. A good dancer, yes, but not a stud like the other guys. He just can't project the air of raw masculinity a guy needs for a sexy dance. I found myself actually kind of wanting to laugh because it just felt phony.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

FORT Regular

Loved Melanie. Really like Jess, too, he is growing on me. When he's on, he's on--like the hip-hop routine. I wish I could see the rumba routine danced by two other dancers, though--I thought the choreo was exquisite.

I am on Gaga overload. She's been everywhere these past 6+ months. Even a favorite perfume can start to stink when applied too liberally. Take a rest, Ms. Gaga.

The problem with Gaga as judge is that Gaga is always about Gaga. The self-promotion and "look-at-me" behavior which is her thing as an "artist" is really irksome when she is supposed to be acting in the capacity of a judge. Some of her antics last night that were really annoying included the sunglasses indoors (and worn with her hair trapped behind one lens), taking her shiny red leather hat on and off, and wearing those goofy 3-feet tall red leather ladder shoes so that when she stood for standing ovations that she appeared to be a 9 feet tall fashion disaster. LOOK AT ME was the message of all of those wardrobe choices.

I also did NOT enjoy the self-referential compliments... she said to one dancer they were "right on the edge" (a reference to a current song) and at the end of the night said almost non-sensically to Sasha and Melanie that they were "born that way" as some sort of compliment to their dancing. I found it to again be terribly self-serving to Gaga. I realize guest judges usually have something to promote--but my favorite judges are the ones who are there because they LOVE the show and the dancers and at least appear to care less if their show/product is promoted while they are judging.

Finally, the shoe-throwing was probably pre-planned (they get to see rehearsals, they plan the order of the dances so that the night ends on a sure fire bang, etc) -- but I almost could forgive Gaga because that part was still a lot of fun. However, I am Gaga'd out.
    Shoepie likes this.

.[/QUOTE]And Nigel wasn't kidding about legs that go on forever. Good grief, I didn't know you could move a body the way Melanie did. .[/QUOTE]

I thought that was said about Jordan, who I think is also very talented.

.[/QUOTE]Poor Jess. I've liked him in past weeks, but I could see what the judges were talking about last night. His dance with Jordan was technically very good, but there was just no chemistry there. I know it sounds terrible, but he's just not very sexy. A good dancer, yes, but not a stud like the other guys. He just can't project the air of raw masculinity a guy needs for a sexy dance. I found myself actually kind of wanting to laugh because it just felt phony.[/QUOTE]

I find that with Ricky, great smile but sexy? ugh!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast