+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Salome
  • 1 Post By TV_Junkie

Thread: Styles of Dance

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Styles of Dance

One thing I love about SYTYCD is we get exposed to many types of dance--ballroom, jazz, broadway, contemporary, hip hop, etc. In recent years, they've even started including some international styles of dance (Bollywood, Russian folk, Polynesian).

What are your favorite styles of dance? Are there certain types you're more likely to take an interest in and other types you're more likely to tune out? Do you prefer certain choreographers to others?

Are there any types of dance that haven't been featured on the show yet that you'd like to see? Any types of dance that you don't like?

I took ballroom dancing lessons so I have the most interest in that style. When I first started watching the show, I didn't like the hip hop or contemporary routines at all and sometimes they're still iffy but I'm getting to like them better.

I don't really have a favorite choreographer on the show, although I'm getting to like Nappy Tabs better and better since the routine they did for Alex and Twitch. I used to like Mia Michaels' routines and wish she was doing choreography for the show again. A choreographer I'd like to see on SYTYCD is Kenny Ortega. I've been a fan of his since watching Xanadu when I was a kid.

I don't think they've ever had a ballet routine on the show, although I would guess that's because it takes many years to train in ballet so your body can do it. It's not something they can teach a dancer who has never done it before in a few hours. It would be interesting for them to try it, though, since so many of the dancers auditioning for the show have had some ballet training.

I also don't think they've ever had a flamenco routine on the show. That would be really interesting to me!

One style of dance I absoutely hate is tap dancing. It drives me up the wall. So annoying!!!

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

Re: Styles of Dance

Uh, well, I would love to see more tap dancing. We were teased that there might be a tap routine included this year due to there being both boys and girls trained in it, but alas that didn't come to be. I loved Bianca Revels and thought she got shafted.

During season 5, Melissa and Ade had a Pas De Deux ballet routine. Melissa was a trained ballet dancer.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fierce Critter View Post
    During season 5, Melissa and Ade had a Pas De Deux ballet routine. Melissa was a trained ballet dancer.
    I forgot about that. Thanks for the reminder!

I study primarily ballet, and while I would like to see more ballet on the show, I understand how that would be difficult, as ballet by definition requires an amount of technique that would be not be possible for the dancers with no previous training in it.

I have a feeling dancers untrained in it would also not fair very well with tap. Same goes for breakdancing. Another style you just can't BS your way through.

But I do think it would be neat if, as Nigel suggested, a tap or ballet alternative were given when both partners have enough background. Although that might create an inequality of sorts.

That said, my favorite style on the show is contemporary! Ballroom is my least favorite, personally, but I do enjoy having it on the show. The diversity of styles is what makes SYTYCD.

I am going back and watching previous seasons right now, and I must say the choice of styles has definitely improved with time... Pop? Is that even a legitimate dance style? And disco?
    Fanny Mare likes this.

Jive is one on my favorite dance styles, especially done well. However, I would also like to see ballet, but understand why that might not be possible. I was not familiar with contemporary dancing before the show, as it just seemed a little out there. With each year of SYTYCD, I am appreciating this type of dance more and more.
    I only have a kitchen because it came with the house.

FORT Fogey

I favor hip hop and contemporary. My least favorite is ballroom but I do like the modern spin they create on this show. It makes it more interesting, to me. SWTS is not a favorite show of mine.

I like most of the choreography and don't know the names of those I don't. The older redhaird woman and her husband who do ballroom are on the bottom of my list.

I really appreciate Nab and Tab, Travis and a couple of newer ones this season.

Mia is a brilliant choreographer but I would rather not see her judge. And thank you, whoever you are, for keeping Lil C off the damn panel. Once was plenty.

The two styles I enjoy watching the most would be Hip-Hop & Bollywood. And I love a good Paso Doble. Very cool.. but there have been some really amazing Contemporary dances, that is for sure!
    Fanny Mare likes this.
    ~Supernatural Addict~

I Love it all.I truly do.I love dances that challenge, dances that are a good fit.I enjoy Bollywood, because of the flavours it brings . Ballroom, I love ballroom, I took it for many years and received a few medals in competitions.But I really dont care for it on this show.

I just love SYTCD, I think its pretty pure.It has not been tainted from any outside influences.

I miss Mia's choreography.I think she is so talented, and she has moved me to tears more than once.

I was so surprised to see whacking tonight. I thought it was made up by Princess Lockeroo who auditioned earlier! Was it? Who was that choreographer???

I love bollywood, hiphop, jazz and usually anything by Sonya. Kaitlin and Marco's "heavy" routine that closed out the show was just amazing, had to watch it three times.

+ Reply to Thread