+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 7/13 Show Discussion Thread ***Spoilers***

Re: 7/13 Show Discussion Thread ***Spoilers***

Sasha & Alexander
    Paso Doble - Kind of odd. Both parts were so masculine it almost looked like it was chorographed for two men. It looked difficult, but there were places where it looked like they struggled just a bit.
    Something with Tyce - Eh, it was okay. I definitely like Sasha more than Alexander. If they make it through this week I look forward to seeing them with other partners.

Jordan & Tadd

Travis Wall contemporary - It was good. They both performed well.
    Broadway - I thought they did what they were asked. I was a little confused by the princess story combined with the music from Rent.

Ryan & Ricky
    Broadway - They both performed pretty well, but it didn't seem very difficult. Smiley Ryan is back, but she was mixing it up with smirks and I didn't find it attractive.
    ChaCha - I don't buy Ryan as the "sexy girl". She had some okay points, but I for once agreed with the judges that she was sloppy. I still like Ricky.

Catelyn & Mitchell
    Hip Hop - I like this couple but I did not like this routine at all. There were places where their execution was not crisp at all. It has to be hard to embody something like the plight of children in Uganda. Maybe they were too caught up in trying to be emotional?
    Contemporary - Hm. Travis feel's a little flat to me tonight. Maybe I would have liked this better to a different piece of music. It was danced well.

Melanie & Marko
    Tango - Wow, they were great again. That looked really technical and they did a very good job!
    Contemporary - Very good job!

Clarice & Jess
    Lyrical Hip Hop - I was kinda scared for them going into this, but they did good. It was a sweet routine.
    Jive - Very good job. Sharp and energetic! I do have to agree with Nigel that he doesn't seem to be a strong lifter. When they stand next to each other they look very close in height, but when they are dancing she always strikes me as much taller than him.

My picks for the bottom:
    Ryan & Ricky
    Sasha & Alexander
    Jordan & Tadd

My favorites continue to be Melanine & Marko and Sasha & Alexander - I am sure they will both be safe. Not sure who will be 3rd couple safe. I do hope Ryan finally gets the boot, but hope Ricky is not taken with her...the fact that couples are breaking up anyway may save him from the "couple" elimination that has been going on.

I think we will see the dancing and the choreo step up a notch when we have each dancing with a "pro" and the show will get more exciting as we go along......but this week was so much better than last week....
    Last edited by JenCos; 07-14-2011 at 12:36 AM.

Watching on the West Coast ... just finished watching the first round.

I love Jess ... He genre is broadway, and he has risen to the challenge no matter what dance he gets. I thought he was great in the lyrical hip hop.
    AZChristian and Fanny Mare like this.

Round 1

S & A--I'm glad I'm not the only one who had a negative reaction. I thought I was crazy. It just didn't "feel" right to me. Glad I'm not a judge on this show since I can't explain it any better.

J & T--pretty good, although I'm getting tired of the "strong woman takes advantage of weak male" theme.

R & R--choreography was way too easy. Looked like they went through the motions. I was disappointed because it was a great story. If this had been Gene Kelly or Fred Astaire they would have it way more memorable.

C & M--another one that didn't feel right. It would be really tough for anyone to dramatize the plight of Ugandan children, but this just looked too easy.

M & M--pretty good, but not great

C & J--wonderful. Loved the whole concept, the song (somebody was right when they said this version was better), the costumes, and the dancing.

Round 2

S & A--very well done. Loved everything from the costumes to the music to the dancing.

J & T--this just felt weird, what with his old-fashioned costume and her supposed to be a modern wildcat. I agreed with Nigel that something should have been done differently with the guys' part.

R & R--I actually thought it was very good, but then, I'm not an expert.

C & M--another very good one.

M & M--beautiful. Very lyrical and graceful.

C & J--fine when they were apart, but as Nigel said not so good on the lifts. Also agreed that at times it tended to drag. I didn't like the song on this one and didn't think it helped. Overall, it just didn't seem to have the joi de vivre [joy, spirit] that a jive is supposed to have.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

FORT Fogey

That was the first time I really enjoyed Jordan & Tadd on the princess routine!

I thought they all danced their very best.There are some really strong dancers, M&F. And of those strong dancers I dont know who should leave and who should stay. Loved Jessie from Modern family, he's hilarious and a very big fan of this show. It was a good night.

I hope Jess gets to say, he doesn't have a dancers body like the rest, but he gives 100% every time imho.
    AZChristian likes this.

Oh no....if Ricky goes home it will be TOTALLY because of that idiot guest judge flirting with him! It seems to me that Middle America just doesn't like "androgynous" (read fem) male dancers and they don't vote from them in droves. Ricky is an amazing dancer and pretty masculine and those stupid remarks probably just KILLED him. GRRRR. Now I am going to sulk for the rest of the evening! But who knows, I could be totally and completely wrong. But I bet I am not.

I think Ryan and Alexander should go. Their partners have carried them far enough in the competition. Time to switch partners.

First set of dances

Aasha/Alexander (Paso Doble) - amazing but i think it was the routine. The kiss was random but it worked. I really liked the double movements of the dance.

Jordan/Tadd (Jazz?) - This vulture dance was amazing. The beginning of it was spectacular. I think they did a great job.

Ryan/Ricky (Broadway) - It was merely ok. I think it just wasn't suited for either and a bit too slow. Thought Ryan was ok in the routine, seemed really old Hollywood. She isn't a total technical dancer, but I can feel the character.

Caitlyn/Mitchell (Contemporary) - Didn't really like the song, feels really dated. Routine was not good but I don't think there was meant ot be any togetherness in the routine. Caitlyn really gets into the character, she always goes for it.

Melanie/Marko (American Tango) - WHO THE **** WAS CONTROLLING THE CAMERAS!?!?!?!?!?! Horrible camera work! It ruined a lot of the routine for me. WAY TOO MANY angle switching and cutting off dancers at the feet/knees is a huge no no in ballroom. I can't believe the bad camera work there. Good routine though. I love seeing Louie from DWTS and how he said "There's no story here, just get the character". That statement and ballroom are what I like the most, but a lot ruined by the camera work.

They mentioned 7 hours to practice again and I really cannot believe. SEVEN HOURS? That's it!?? I really hope they are not right and mean 7 hours to LEARN with the pros. They're giving them tighter time crunches than Project Runway, that is appalling!

Jess/Clarice (Hip Hop) - VERY sharp, I liked their moves a lot. Really well defined and "snappy". Definition like that is what you see most with the real pros. I also loved the speed as of their dancing as well. This whole routine and the dancing was just very "active"... I get the idea that swagger refers to a "loose", "dropping", kinda slow groove thats' still edgy, and I liked that they did something more sharp and it was acknowledged

2nd routine

Sasha/Alexander - I can't judge this without bias. I was not a fan of the music or the dancing style... it was just too extravagant for me and I couldn't connect.

Jordan/Tadd - Feels like something something classic from the 80s. So that's ultimately a good/bad thing since it's the 80s after all.

Ryan/Ricky - I was annoyed at the camera angles on this routine as well. I am BEYOND convinced that somebody is trying to "stick it" to Louie since he's on DWTS (which is on ABC, a rival channel). Notice how on the chorus with the fast and defined moves, the angle of the camera of a sudden goes super wide so you cannot see the fine details and the dancers looks like ants, also notice the same cutting off of the feet and to the knees often. Just disgusting and I'd if I was in charge, I'd rake whoever did it over coals until you'd have to use dental records to ID them. Ricky was amazing during it, Ryan was playing it up a little too much, but I'm a sucker for cha cha and such.

Caitlyn/Mitchel - That was hot! I think they delivered the rock and roll feel, she was like a crazy groupie, you know, the kind that are sexual and got spunk, but they ain't no bimbos looking for a payday, and he, he was just that rockstar living it up in the moment and seeing what comes next. I really like Caitlyn in general. Mitchell was a little weaker but still ok.

Melanie/Marko - I'm not shy about the fact that I don't like contemporary, but I totally "got" this routine from the second it started: the story, the song, the movements and musicality. These 2 both have "it" and I've seen it every routine they've had. Sonya calls it conviction and I agree with everything she says. There's so much overt passion being displayed, for the dance, for the character, living the moment, and just confidence to fall into the performance. Not sure if Marko will be the final guy standing, but I wouldn't be one bit surprised if Melanie is.

Clarice/Jess - During rehearsal I thought I was gonna LOVE this routine. Lots of spins, lots of kicks, felt like 50s jive style, but then the music came on it and lost me. Sounded just very mainstream in a bad way and too overdone, just trying to be cool. Overall a good routine though. I can do high kicks as well, but to get them really defined and fast, that takes a lot of skill, so I really can appreciate seeing those. I also love Jess's personality. I don't know, it just, there's something "obnoxiously good" about it. The only similarity I can think of is Daffy Duck, who does the same thing, except to the extreme.
    Last edited by Endit; 07-14-2011 at 05:44 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast