+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Your SYTYCD History

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Your SYTYCD History

How long have you been watching So You Think You Can Dance? Have you been tuning in since the first season or is this your first season? Do you watch it regularly or have you watched some seasons but not all, wait until the end of the season to watch after the group has been whittled down, etc?

I started watching SYTYCD from Season 1 and although I don't remember much about that season, I do remember feeling that it was one of the best competitive reality shows I'd seen and I still feel that way. I don't know what makes people vote for contestants on American Idol because I don't think it's based on who is most talented. There's something seriously flawed with the type of contestants they attract, the screening process for who ends up on the show, the voting process, or something. If you're a bad singer, you can hide it reasonably well by having a strong stage presence, being different in an odd way, having a charming personality, or if all else fails rely on voters at Vote For the Worst to pull you through! It's not as easy to pull off ineptitude in dance.

Anyway, one problem I've had with SYTYCD in the past is it's often on the same night and times as other reality shows I watch so some seasons I start missing episodes and then lose interest in finishing out the season. I try to make SYTYCD my priority now and catch other shows online the next time if I have to miss them to watch it.

I actually like the audition phase of the competitive reality shows. I have a lot of friends who skip that part and wait until the competition begins but I like getting an idea of who the dances are and which ones have that special spark before the show begins in earnest.

What do you think about partners? Did you like the earlier seasons where partners were changed around regularly or do you like how it is now, with people keeping mostly the same partner throughout the season? I liked it better when they mixed it up so we could see how dancers did with different partners. If someone is stuck with a partner who isn't pulling their weight or if you get partners who aren't compatible, it's going to hold them back. Plus, different couples have different chemistry and sometimes a dancer who I previously thought was dull gets put with someone who they really sizzle with and it gives me a greater appreciation of their skills.

Re: Your SYTYCD History

Hi Pikachu! I've been watching consistently since season 4.... loved the Katee & Joshua partnership there. I watch every episode from initial auditions to the finale. Love Nigel and Cat, the show is really well done and seems a great opportunity for unknowns to work with great choreographers & trainers. Love it!

I do like it when they mix up the couples. It was disappointing how the send-offs have been in couples these last few weeks. Maybe the sent Ashley home for a reason, but her partner did the most amazing dance for his life. Judges acknowledged that his dance for life was the best. Yet he still went home, I suppose because they didn't want to mix the couples up.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I've been watching from the beginning. We watch most of the auditions, too. I love to watch young people have opportunities to get a "boost" to start their careers. There are times - as pikachu says - that there are other reality/competition shows on at the same time, so we DVR one and watch the other. What's odd is that I'm tending to read the board here instead of watching the results shows.

I also used to like it better when they switched up couples. That allowed strong dancers to prove that it was their personal abilities pulling them through, rather than being lucky enough to be paired with a strong dancer (or a judges' favorite . . . cough *RYAN* cough).

Season 1, I usually drop out about half way through though out of boredom. I think I've only watched the entire seasons that had Benji, Heidi, Katee, Sasha in them (lol and I'm no super fan! I can't even remember if those were the same seasons or not haha). These were not my favorite dancers in those seasons necessarily, they were just the names I remembered right now from the seasons I watched all the way through.

This is not something unique to this show, I can't remember the last time I watched any reality show from start to finish. I usually drop out about halfway through it or around the 3/4 mark. I get bored, annoyed with the judges or voters decisions or something shinier, brighter, and fresher will come on that captures my short TV viewing attention span.

I like it when they switch up the partners from the very beginning. I like it when the judges aren't so obvious with their agendas. I like it when dancers are voted through on skills and not popularity. Which all equals up to getting annoyed and dropping out early lol.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

FORT Fogey

I've been watching since Season 2, and even went to the first tour. Wish they'd go back to small venues for the tour; large arenas don't work for dance shows. Don't the like the couple eliminations at all this season. Especially since they are going to switch to All-stars at top 10 anyway. Change it up, and let the dancers show us their versaility by switching partners. Heck even eliminate the true bottom two, not just one boy and one girl! The same gender routines were quite fun last year!

My favorite seasons are 2,3,and 4. I liked season 5, but I could sense the formula was faltering a bit. They've been trying tweak it ever since, but the magic has not been captured again. I love the dancing regardless, and will continue to watch as long as it's on the air.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I like it, too, when they have some same gender routines, like Alex and Twitch doing their hip hop number or one season when the guys did the Russian folk dance number.

One thing I wish SYTYCD would change is to have two final winners--one guy and one girl. It annoys me that one girl can end up beating all of the girls on the show and still come in second. I think it would be more fair if they selected a male winner and a female winner.

I've been saying since the first elimination this season that I wish they'd send two girls home. They keep sending guys home that are stronger than the girls that got to say, that's the flaw with Nigel's refusal to allow same gender couples. Strong dancers get sent home. There are a ton of routines that can be done with same gender, even ballroom. My all time favorite routine that was the same gender was the one with Neil and Danny and the throne? I also really loved Alex/Twitches number.

Ballroom, a routine where the guys were "mirror images" one another could be interesting. It doesn't have to be a close grip, sexy number (that would make Nigel's head explode).
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringMaiden27 View Post
    I've been watching since Season 2, and even went to the first tour. Wish they'd go back to small venues for the tour; large arenas don't work for dance shows. Don't the like the couple eliminations at all this season. Especially since they are going to switch to All-stars at top 10 anyway. Change it up, and let the dancers show us their versaility by switching partners. Heck even eliminate the true bottom two, not just one boy and one girl! The same gender routines were quite fun last year!

My favorite seasons are 2,3,and 4. I liked season 5, but I could sense the formula was faltering a bit. They've been trying tweak it ever since, but the magic has not been captured again. I love the dancing regardless, and will continue to watch as long as it's on the air.

I think its like all shows, it gets stale, so,they throw in a celebrity judge, which I dont care for. I like same gender routines, I heard alot of people that didnt like that.( I cant think why) I guess they cant please everyone. But, I still watch for the dancing, I love dancing

I've watched since season 3. I caught a little bit of season 2, but I was busy that summer and didn't have time to really watch it. I actually liked last year when they had the all stars. I felt that most of the season, the right people went home at the right time and we didn't lose a great dancer because they were partnered with someone who brought them down.

This season is the first that I've been disappointed. I don't know if it's because the dancers aren't as stellar as we've come to expect or if it's because they are in such mismatched partnerships. Or maybe it's a little bit of both. And I absolutely hate the pimping of the dancers. We know who we like and don't like and we don't need to be told every week who we should like. It's frustrating. I also think that if a dancer works regularly with someone related to the show, they shouldn't be permitted to try out. It promotes favoritism and that's not fair to the other competitors.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

I've been watching since the beginning of season 3, loved quite a few dancers from that season. I'd like if they mixed up the couples more and some of them didn't get the same styles all the time. Canada starts their top 22 tonight, looks like they have a better mix of dancers on their show.

+ Reply to Thread