+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: July 6th performace

Re: July 6th performace

I called Clarisse & Jess's routine "meh" above, but I needed to come back to add that I did kind of like the twist on the contemporary that we normally see on this show. It was interesting.

I did not like Carmen. I watch very little of the judging, so I can't even really say if I liked Travis as a judge - but I do like Travis!! I did catch him saying something about Ryan being one of the strongest girls though, and I completely disagree with that.

Which reminds me that, like some PPs, I was also annoyed with Ryan's personal clip this week. The whole point was that we were supposed to hear more about their families. Instead for her we get a clip all about how Mia took interest in her and she was on a TV show. It felt more like "my family wasn't good enough to pay for my dancing, so I went out and found an alternate family of famous people that could get me where I want to go." WTH!?

My choices for B3 this week:
    Sasha & Alexander
    Ashley & Chris
    Ryan & Rikki

I would prefer that Ryan and Chris went home, but I think it is going to be Ashley and Chris.
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 07-07-2011 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post

Nobody really stood out to me in a big way....
    Yes, when I said that C & M were the best, I meant for that night. Overall, nothing really jumped out at me, either.

The same with the guy's group dance. The choreographer went into great detail about the guys displaying the stages of grief and I did not get that at all from the dance.
    I kind of got it, from the expressions on the guys' faces from time to time. It was kind of confusing, though, having different guys do different emotions all at the same time.

I'm sick to death with the girls' routines always being about them beating up or poisoning the guys. Please find another theme!

Thank you! I'm so glad I'm not the only one. When they announced the theme, I remember thinking "Again???" If I were one of the guys I would resent this anti-male bias, not just in the dancing but in the judges' constant harping on how good the girls are.

I loved seeing Travis on the panel although I agree with someone else that his technical comments went over my head and judging by the glazed look on the dancers' faces, I'm guessing they had no clue what he was saying either. Just smile and nod and hope people call in those votes!
    I had mixed feelings about Travis. At first I enjoyed his critiques, since it was so refreshing after a couple of weeks of "That was so wonderful!" Then, like the dancers, my began eyes to glaze over. I will say, though, that Carmen did a good job of being honest and thank you, Nigel and Mary, for finally getting off the love train and giving us some honest critiquing!

But you're right, Pikachu. In the end it boils down to, did it suck? Was it great? Either way, please vote for me!
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Jezebella View Post
    Irritating to the max! And how was it that we didn't see any of her family? Is Mia her surrogate mom or something? She (Ryan) just rubs me the wrong way and she seems ungainly compared to the other female dancers.
    That really jumped out at me, too. The other dancers spent their entire videos praising their families, while Ryan barely mentioned hers except to say that they didn't have enough money for her dance lessons. Sad, and irritating.

To answer your question, Fantine, yes, Mary Murphy was there. However, she was greatly subdued. I think she only yelled about one dance, the last one. Most of the time she and the other judges were like, "Yawn" and probably wishing they were at home doing something else.
    Last edited by Babbred; 07-07-2011 at 11:19 AM.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Quote Originally Posted by Fantine View Post
    I haven't watched last night's yet but it just seems like these dancers are not quite as good as the last few seasons. I love Melanie but she's the only big stand out to me. Was Mary Murphry on last night? whenever she's on I have to be sure my husband doesn't hear her voice for even a nano second or he'll change the channel lol...thank goodness for dvrs
    Yup Mary was on, she gave good advice, that I heard. I dont listen to the judges much and she didnt scream (well not too much) Travis was a judge, he spoke way too fast .I love his dancing, his choreography, but his judging- not so much..

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    That really jumped out at me, too. The other dancers spent their entire videos praising their families, while Ryan barely mentioned them except to say that they didn't have enough money for her dance lessons. Sad, and irritating.
    I was out of the room when she was on. That would have ticked me off if I were her family

Not that I'm a fan of Ryan, but honestly, do we know what her situation is with her family? It would be nice to think all these dancers had plenty of support, but sadly, there are families who have that "get a real job" attitude. It's possible Ryan really does feel like Mia is family to her. Then again, it's also possible the producer's just saw another way to showcase Mia

As far as the dancing this year, I don't really think any of them are necessarily bad...I mean some season's it got really frustrating watching a strong dancer carry someone who was obviously weak. Certainly some this season are better than others, but I'm just not feeling the connection, the passion, like in past season's. I'm no dance expert, but I think this group is technically good...it's just none of them have really moved me. I'm thinking of past season's when the combination of dancer and dance literally brought me to tears because it was so beautiful. The upbeat numbers too should have a feeling of joy and exuberance- but its not happening here. I'm still enjoying the performance, but I'm missing the emotion. I'm not sure if it's a lack in the dancers, the choreography, or a combination there of. I think Melanie usually hits it....and Mitchell was almost there last night. But mostly it just feels like they're all going through the motions - albeit technically quite well (for the most part ).
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

You make a good point about Ryan's family.None of us really know what her family life is like.Not everyone supports dance.

I wonder if Ryan is embarrassed about something in her past? I don't really get why she didn't talk about her family very much. I get the feeling her childhood may not have been very happy. That's just my own take on it.

The performances were nothing to write home about. Except for Caitlyn & Mitchell's routine. I really enjoyed that one.

Loved having Travis on as a judge! He gave really excellent critiques.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Katydyd View Post
    Not that I'm a fan of Ryan, but honestly, do we know what her situation is with her family? It would be nice to think all these dancers had plenty of support, but sadly, there are families who have that "get a real job" attitude. It's possible Ryan really does feel like Mia is family to her. Then again, it's also possible the producer's just saw another way to showcase Mia
    Great point (and also yours, Mesachick). If her mother was one of those stage mother types, then Ryan may very well feel more comfortable with Mia.

As far as the dancing this year, I don't really think any of them are necessarily bad...I mean some season's it got really frustrating watching a strong dancer carry someone who was obviously weak. Certainly some this season are better than others, but I'm just not feeling the connection, the passion, like in past season's. I'm no dance expert, but I think this group is technically good...it's just none of them have really moved me.

I'm thinking of past season's when the combination of dancer and dance literally brought me to tears because it was so beautiful. The upbeat numbers too should have a feeling of joy and exuberance- but its not happening here. I'm still enjoying the performance, but I'm missing the emotion. I'm not sure if it's a lack in the dancers, the choreography, or a combination there of. I think Melanie usually hits it....and Mitchell was almost there last night. But mostly it just feels like they're all going through the motions - albeit technically quite well (for the most part ).
    Remember when Katie and her partner did that dance where he was a workaholic, and she was the wife begging him to stay home as he prepared to leave yet again on a business trip? Oh my goodness, I watched that over and over again. I also downloaded the song (Leona's "Bleeding Love"). It still moves me to tears thinking about it.

We've still got several more episodes, but there has been nothing remotely like Katie's dance this season. You nailed it, Katydyd. It feels like these current dancers are just going through the motions. I mean, look at that hip-hop dance by Sasha and Alexander. Perfect example. The real hip-hop dancers on the show must have wept watching them. No passion, no emotion.

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

I don't care for Ryan's dancing. I agree with those who find her very sluggish and not very smooth in her lines - and let's not even talk about the big grin in the middle of what was supposed to be a steamy dance.

I did - out of curiosity after reading this thread - Google her and found this article. Nothing obvious as to dysfunction in the family.

So You Think You Can Dance - Ryan Ramirez's Mom Is Her Biggest Fan

Ryan Ramirez's Mom Is Her Biggest Fan

Paige Day, mother of Season 8 top contender Ryan Ramirez, is hoping the natives of Morgan Hills, California will pick up their phones or hop on the computer to vote for her talented daughter.

Starting tomorrow night, Ryan will be one of 20 dancers to compete for the title of “America’s Favorite Dancer” on So You Think You Can Dance. Both Ryan and Paige are no strangers to the emotional highs and lows of the show. Last season, Ryan missed being part of the Top 10 by the slimmest of margins. She left the judges breathless after her Bay Area audition. "Beautiful girl. Beautiful dance. Beautiful performance," were Nigel’s words right before he handed her a ticket to Vegas. Now, she’s back and ready to show how much she has grown as a dancer and a young woman this last year.

Recently, Paige chatted with their local paper the, Morgan Hills Times, about Ryan’s decision to come back and re-audition, and what making the Top 20 means to the entire family. It all worked out as it should; Ryan is more prepared to compete this season than she would have been last year. "She feels more confident and mature and that makes a difference," Paige said. "She knows who she is a little bit better."

However, the show won’t go down without a fight. There’s some serious competition in Season 8, especially amongst the contemporary ladies, who number six out of the 10 females on the show. Additionally, five of the Top 20 dancers come from California. Paige puts faith in the local Morgan Hills community to come together and keep Ryan on the show. "We're hoping the community will rally a little bit. She's worked really hard and she's a good kid, not just a good dancer," Paige commented.

Even though Ryan resides currently in Los Angeles, she is a product of Morgan Hills, receiving both her academic and dance training in the area. These roots aren’t being overlooked by the locals. "A lady in the line next to me [at the grocery store] said, 'Aren't you Ryan's mom? We're rooting for her!' People are excited. It's so nice to get a congratulations, but I always tell people, remember to vote!" Paige is confident people will do their part to support Ryan.

While America speculated on whether or not the bubbly contemporary dancer from CA would give it another shot for Season 8, Paige and Ryan refused to back down. "Every little girl dancer watches So You Think You Can Dance and wants to be on the show and that stays with you." Ryan even struggled with a painful bruised tailbone during Vegas week, but her eye was on the prize, and she was determined to not let her dream slip away this time.

Paige, along with Ryan’s sister, will be making several trips to L.A. to watch Ryan compete on Season 8. "The network has been touting this is the strongest group of dancers ... They all are really strong, talented kids and they all have amazing stories and all sacrificed, but it boils down to who is going to rally the votes." She’s confident in her daughter’s abilities to shine on the show, but still asks friends, family, and fans to play their role in keeping Ryan in the competition.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast