+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: July 6th performace

Re: July 6th performace

Quote Originally Posted by bkes216 View Post
    What is with so many new choreographers tonight!?!?!? All the regulars on vacation for the 4th?
    I heard that a lot of the regulars are working on Rock Of Ages (a new film with Tom Cruise and Julianna Hough among others).

But I think it's time they did get some new choreographers. I think the regular ones are running out of fresh ideas. Anymore it's more miss than hit. If nothing else, maybe having new ones would kick in the old ones' competitive streak....

I'm not a Carmen fan and was so disappointed they got another "pussycat doll" to do the judging. Honestly, I'd rather they bring in REAL dancers to guest judge....like the blonde girl who was Patrick Swayze's partner in Dirty Dancing (or even his wife, Lisa) and Annette Charles who played Cha Cha in Grease. Real dancers who we would recognize.

The actual dancing...

I loved the piece danced by Mitchel and Caitlyn tonight. The first dance of the season that caught my full attention. It was lovely.

I still think Rickie dances too feminine. He's beautiful to watch when he does his solo's but when he's partnering, it just looks weird. Maybe it's because his partner is more masculine than he is. And I dislike Ryan. I think she clomps around the stage. She's soooo not light on her feet.

I also enjoyed the waltz. I thought it was really pretty.

I don't know...something is still off for me. I hope bringing in the All Stars will help. By now, I have my absolute favorites and this season...I have ones that I like but nobody is really standing out to me. Maybe if they all had different partners???
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Since there's so little to talk about with the dancing, I guess I might as well comment on the judging. At first I really liked having Travis here. People have complained the past few weeks about not having honest judging...well he certainly did!

However, as the night wore on, I found that I actually didn't like his technical critiques. Please don't jump on me for saying this, but to be honest, after tonight I can understand why Nigel made that infamous comment about fluff judging. I don't have a stitch of dancing experience. As Carmen put it, I only know what I like and what connects with me emotionally. Therefore, hearing Travis go on about centering and "triple barres" (or whatever he called them) meant nothing to me. I found myself thinking that these are the kind of things that should be said in rehearsal with the dancers, not on television where the audience doesn't understand or care. I daresay most people are like me, and simply watch this show because they admire the dancing. I think that's why Nigel made that comment.

OK, on to the dancing.

Melanie & Marco--pretty good

Sasha & Alexander--totally agreed with the judges. Boring.

Jordan & Tad--somebody complained last week about the ballroom dance not being real ballroom. Tonight was a perfect example of my reply that they never do real ballroom on these shows. That was a waltz? If I hadn't seen the video, I would have sworn it was a contemporary dance. And yes, I know Mary said it was "American-style," but honestly, I get the feeling this kind of waltz was dreamed up because people were bored and wanted to see more showy dancing. Call me an old fogey and a purist, but I would far rather see pure waltzing, which is very difficult to do.

Other than that, the routine was pretty good.

Clarice & Jess, Ashley & Chris--boring

Ryan & Rikki--Somebody must finally have gotten through to Ryan, because she has toned down the smiling. I was pleasantly surprised because I actually enjoyed this routine. In fact, it was my second favorite of the night.

Caitlyn & Mitchell--totally agreed with the judges, best of the night! Just beautiful.

I can't predict a bottom 3, because there are only two pairs I don't want to see there.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

I meant to post this last week but forgot. Do you remember Ryan's video? Everybody else talked about some embarrassing moment from their childhood. In contrast, Ryan talked about a school dance she was in. Afterwards, she said, her mother told her that she was the only child who did the dance correctly. This may be really nitpicky, but I wonder if Ryan's parents are the kind who can find only perfection in their daughter? If so that could partly explain Ryan's irritating personality.

And what did you guys think about her going on about her recent tv appearance? Irritating or just honest?
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

It was a pretty boring night. None of the routines did it for me. Too many new choreographers with strange routines/songs. Marko did stand out in the group number for the men, although the number wasn't that great either.

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    I meant to post this last week but forgot. Do you remember Ryan's video? Everybody else talked about some embarrassing moment from their childhood. In contrast, Ryan talked about a school dance she was in. Afterwards, she said, her mother told her that she was the only child who did the dance correctly. This may be really nitpicky, but I wonder if Ryan's parents are the kind who can find only perfection in their daughter? If so that could partly explain Ryan's irritating personality.

And what did you guys think about her going on about her recent tv appearance? Irritating or just honest?
    Irritating to the max! And how was it that we didn't see any of her family? Is Mia her surrogate mom or something? She (Ryan) just rubs me the wrong way and she seems ungainly compared to the other female dancers.

Quote Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post
    Kind of telling that there isn't a thread for tonight's show isn't it? After a promising start to the season, I know I am disappointed.
    Yeah, I usually start them but decided to read a book instead last night. It is very telling! I figured I'd watch the recorded show tonight so I can FF past the stupid judges and Ryan.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Personally, I didn't think Caitlyn & Mitchell were that great so I was shocked that the judges gave them a standing ovation and said they were the best of the night. For the first half of the dance, I noticed Caitlyn's hesitation when they went into lifts and that made their connections very awkward. The second half was better but far from being the best of the night, IMO.

Nobody really stood out to me in a big way. I liked Melanie and Marko's dancing but the music did not seem to go at all with what the choreographer said the theme was about! The same with the guy's group dance. The choreographer went into great detail about the guys displaying the stages of grief and I did not get that at all from the dance. I'm sick to death with the girls' routines always being about them beating up or poisoning the guys. Please find another theme!

I agree with most people here that last night was a big WTF.

I loved seeing Travis on the panel although I agree with someone else that his technical comments went over my head and judging by the glazed look on the dancers' faces, I'm guessing they had no clue what he was saying either. Just smile and nod and hope people call in those votes!

My guess for who's going home? Sasha and Alexander. They just aren't gelling as a couple. To me, the chemistry is lacking and that makes their routines forgetable.

Melanie & Marco -- I enjoyed this. I did not get the story that the choreographer was explaining from this dance, but I enjoyed it nevertheless.

Sasha & Alexander -- I thought the style of the dance was cute, however it did feel basic for this show.

Jordan & Tad -- It was fine. They did a good job, but the routine itself didn't blow me away. I like Tad a lot, but with Jordan they are just middle of the pack every week.

Clarice & Jess -- They did well, but the routine was meh.

Ashley & Chris -- Ugh! Ashley had some nice moments, but overall this was just awful. The worst of the night.

Ryan & Rikki -- I thought the routine was interesting. It started out promising, but I did not like these two dancing it AT ALL. I thought another couple would have been much better at it.

Caitlyn & Mitchell -- Very enjoyable. I actually backed it up and watched it a second time because I was so distracted by the Celine Dion song the first time around. I did think they did the best job this week.

I liked both of the group numbers, which is interesting because I don't typically like the groups much. I also liked a couple of the new choreographers - I think they were actually the two that did the group numbers (I believe each of them also did a routine for one couple).

Re: July 6th performance

Melanie & Marco . I loved this .I loved the music( Lady Gaga) I thought they were strong

Sasha & Alexander.I love Sasha, she is one of my must see dancers .Alexander wasn't as strong as he could have been( or has been)

Jordan & Tad I enjoyed their routine, very dreamy

Clarice & Jess I also enjoyed this, it was a different style of choreography.Jerky , but emotional

Ashley & Chris Not up to par this week, they are in danger of going home imho

Ryan & Rikki I agreed with Carmen, it had great energy, great movement.Its the only time Carmen said something I really listened to.

Caitlyn & Mitchell It was the best( largely due to the wonderful music) at times it looked a little rushed , but it was very good .I adore Mitchell.
    I also really enjoyed both group numbers.Its hard to get used to new choreographers. I was happy to see Mandy Moore back from the UK.The bonus for me..no Sonya

I haven't watched last night's yet but it just seems like these dancers are not quite as good as the last few seasons. I love Melanie but she's the only big stand out to me. Was Mary Murphry on last night? whenever she's on I have to be sure my husband doesn't hear her voice for even a nano second or he'll change the channel lol...thank goodness for dvrs
    "Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole" Roger Caras

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast