+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 6/22 Show Discussion Thread ***SPOILERS***

Re: 6/22 Show Discussion Thread ***SPOILERS***

At this point, all the routines tonight were different shades of terrible. I don't think I've ever fast-forwarded through an episode of SYTYCD as much as tonight.

Seriously, these choreographers need to get gone, particularly NappyTabs; what they call "lyrical hip hop", I'd rather call "pretentious choreography created by choreographers who think they know hip hop dance, but don't".
    Revenge is ice cream.

My feelings are mixed and it's late, so I'm just going to ramble.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I loved Debbie. This is one of the true legends of Hollywood, so it was good for these young 'uns to be reminded that they are part of a long tradition. And I loved that clip from "Singin' in the Rain," one of the greatest movies ever made, back when they actually made quality movies. (I saw that commercial for the remake of "Footloose," too. Oh, please. ) I would far rather cue up "Rain" or any of Fred & Ginger's movies and watch some real dancing than the crud that passed for dancing tonight.

As for her inane comments, I actually didn't mind them precisely because of her age. She reminded me of my late grandmother, rest her soul, who simply couldn't find a bad word to say about anybody. I saw her as being there more to inspire the dancers. I also kind of liked her comments about sex, since they belied her grandmotherly image. I thought she was funny and sweet.

As someone with family members in the military in Afghanistan, I was not impressed by the soldier dance. The very beginning was nice, but once the hip hop music started blaring, it went off the rails for me. This was supposed to be a poignant reunion? I just thought it was a mess.

And does every dance have to have a song with a modern beat? I felt the same way during the waltz. What could have been two graceful, lyrical dances were ruined for me by the music.

Also agree with the comments about the Bollywood routine. People, people....has this choreographer never seen a real Bollywood dance, or does he feel the need to jazz it up because he feels an American audience won't like it otherwise? Sad, sad. See the final scene of "Slumdog Millionaire" for much better example.

The only dance I really liked was the jail dance. I thought it was very creative and that the couple danced it well.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

I am not a fan of Ryan. She has no clue how to emote a dance with her face. All you ever get from her is teeth. That dance was not sexy at all and it very well should have been. If that had been Mark and Courtney dancing it would have been smoking hot. Remember The Garden?

The only dance I really truly enjoyed was the last one. I loved the concept of the bars and it was sexy and fun.

Debbie added nothing to the judging panel. She was too busy ogling the boys.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

FORT Fogey

Ashley & Chris saved the night! That was so creative and fun I disagreed with the judges on many of the dances. I FF through the Bollywood, the military piece lost something by the end, the woodpecker routine was not hard-hitting, and if that's addicted to love I'm going to rehab! I did enjoy Mitchell & Caitlin. So nice to really get a chance to see that pair dance together. Everyone else was meh.

I loved Debbie!

Okay -- I just saw the dancing... I still think Nakul did so bad with the routine... BUT I do want to compliment Iveta for her perfect timing and did you see her fingers??? That's a Bollywood fingers there! Also, I do think that she did the foot tap right... It was so fast and it's just RIDICULOUS!!! It should be done in a slower pace. sheesh

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    As someone with family members in the military in Afghanistan, I was not impressed by the soldier dance. The very beginning was nice, but once the hip hop music started blaring, it went off the rails for me. This was supposed to be a poignant reunion? I just thought it was a mess.
    Thank you. I was too angry last night to put into words what I was feeling. It wasn't the subject, I would not have minded if another choreographer had chosen to do it. I probably would have sat here with tears in my eyes and cheering on the routine. My issue is that it was these two, they are nothing but fakes. Everything about them is phoney and designed to try and garner attention. I probably would have been just as irritated if it had been Tyce doing it while giving us his serious face and dropping a ton of stupid platitudes on us about it.

The morning after, I still think the routines last night stunk!

They have hip hop boys who can actually learn other styles. They have contemporary girls that are amongst the best they've ever had. They have a world dance champion. And this is the best they can give them? Forget voting off the dancers, I want to vote off the choreographers and start over!
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

As a 3-hours-later-than-most-of-you viewer, I read the board before the show even starts here in Arizona. Sometimes I'm amazed and confused about some of the comments. Last night, I agreed with almost all of them. I did love Debbie Reynolds - but I'm old, too, and her performances in movies have given me many hours of pleasure. Was she a great judge? Nah. But she's Debbie Reynolds, so that's okay with me.

The choreography just really stunk last night. Didn't find Ryan and Ricky the least bit connected. Kind of hard to appear to be sexy with someone when they were just dancing at the same time to the same music on the same stage, but had no connection. Hated the soldier returning home, too. It just felt like the wrong kind of music to portray the type of emotions they were trying to portray. The woodpeckers were cute. Loved the jail dance.

I think the dancers can handle almost anything that's thrown at them. The choreographers need to throw better material.

I don't think it was Ivetta, just kind of a boring routine, and the costumes weren't as good as past Bollywood ones.
    Still, I wasn't as disappointed in the show as most here seem to be. I've never liked Stacy Tookey's choreography much, so no surprise there, hated it; I'm just not into the type of dance she usually choreographs. There was another routine that bored me, but I should have griped last night as I can't even remember it enough to talk about it this morning. Oh yeah, the one that had Nigel talking about the royal wedding--I was not in the room when introduced so don't know if that was the actual "story" (and why does there always have to be a complicated story to go along with these dances) but still, thought it was boooorrrrring. I did like the VW presented, the woodpecker thing -didn't know the 'story' of this one either, which probably was a good thing, the cage dance, and several others.
    My biggest hope is that Ryan gets eliminated. She is the worst dancer there to me, mostly because of the facial expressions. I do really like her partner, but too bad, I'll lose him in order to get Ryan off my tv.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I didn't get to watch last night b/c we had storm coverage from 7:30 until I went to bed at 11. Tornadoes all over KY and IN...guess I need to find the show online...
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    As a 3-hours-later-than-most-of-you viewer, I read the board before the show even starts here in Arizona. Sometimes I'm amazed and confused about some of the comments. Last night, I agreed with almost all of them. I did love Debbie Reynolds - but I'm old, too, and her performances in movies have given me many hours of pleasure. Was she a great judge? Nah. But she's Debbie Reynolds, so that's okay with me.
    Hey, I'm not that old! I just appreciate quality over the junk they put out now. Love your comment aboout Debbie. That's how I feel! Besides, what was she supposed to say? "That stunk" time after time? I can see where out of embarrassment she might have wanted to say something, anything nice about the routine.

The choreography just really stunk last night. Didn't find Ryan and Ricky the least bit connected. Kind of hard to appear to be sexy with someone when they were just dancing at the same time to the same music on the same stage, but had no connection. Hated the soldier returning home, too. It just felt like the wrong kind of music to portray the type of emotions they were trying to portray. The woodpeckers were cute. Loved the jail dance.

I think the dancers can handle almost anything that's thrown at them. The choreographers need to throw better material.
    Count me as somebody who is really, really getting fed up with Ryan's constant grinning. That was just sad when she had to explain why she was smiling through her routine last week. Now it has moved from irritating to annoying.

Other notes I forgot last night:

--didn't mind the choreography from the bird routine, but that has to be the all time stupidest idea for a routine. How those poor dancers got through it without breaking up laughing is beyond me.

I don't think it was Ivetta, just kind of a boring routine, and the costumes weren't as good as past Bollywood ones.
    Not it wasn't Ivetta or her partner; they did well with all that complicated choreography. I have no gripes against them, I just hated the routine itself since it was nothing like pure Bollywood should be. And you're right, the costumes stunk. That wasn't Bollywood, either.
    AZChristian likes this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast